• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Written review isn't online yet, so for now just some screenshots of some important measurements:

Mind-Blowing Sound Quality_ KEF Blade 2 Meta Review 17-0 screenshot.png
Mind-Blowing Sound Quality_ KEF Blade 2 Meta Review 18-7 screenshot.png
Mind-Blowing Sound Quality_ KEF Blade 2 Meta Review 18-20 screenshot.png
Mind-Blowing Sound Quality_ KEF Blade 2 Meta Review 18-36 screenshot.png
Mind-Blowing Sound Quality_ KEF Blade 2 Meta Review 19-50 screenshot.png
Mind-Blowing Sound Quality_ KEF Blade 2 Meta Review 20-12 screenshot.png

Real excellence, one of the best passive loudspeakers currently, hope in many years I will be able to afford a used pair. Interesting also that Erin say they are not only objectively in each category some of the best if not the best measuring but also the best sounding loudspeakers he has heard. Several years ago I had the luck to hear the original Blade 2 in an acoustically good setup and it was also one of the best stereo reproduction experiences I ever had.

Edit: The written review is now online too https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/kef_blade2_meta/

Last edited by a moderator:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As good as it gets. The Blade 1 Meta extending even a little further down. Excellent review.

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No surprises there, this is truly a complete SOTA passive speaker package in virtually all ways. If only I could demo a pair in my house versus a Best Buy showroom, even if to simply satisfy my curiosity.
Not always a good idea, many years ago I had the luck to hear the original Blade 2 in an acoustically good setup and since then I wish I had them. :D

mj30250

Not always a good idea, many years ago I had the luck to hear the original Blade 2 in an acoustically good setup and since then I wish I had them. :D
I'm fortunate to have landed on a setup that for the first time, after many years and many different speakers, I am fully satisfied with. That was never the case prior. But yes, curiosity can get you into loads of trouble, I agree. :)

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As good as it gets. The Blade 1 Meta extending even a little further down. Excellent review.
But the Blade 2 Meta has a bit smoother and more continuous directivity in the lower region (it was the same also on the first generation) and would be personally my choice if I didn't need the extra SPL:
1711548362712.png

OP
thewas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm fortunate to have landed on a setup that for the first time, after many years and many different speakers, I am fully satisfied with. That was never the case prior. But yes, curiosity can get you into loads of trouble, I agree. :)
Truth to be said I am also satisfied a lot of with my current setups and probably around 80+ % of it subjectively, but when you know how it can be even better, especially the imaging but that was also partially due to the difference in room acoustics, so I would need also another and bigger room which is a much larger problem than getting the Blades...

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Funny!
I heard these at an exhibition, and they sounded pretty crap!
At the time, I was pretty disappointed, as I expected better from Kef.
Why? I wouldn't know.

Reactions: CMB

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They should, being bigger and having larger drivers. But strangly, if you go to the homepage, the +- 3dB specs say otherwise. Maybe an error there?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Yeah, that's pretty exceptional for a passive. Bloody expensive though - with amps fit to drive these you're looking at probably 35k. That's a hard number to justify when you can get very similar levels of performance out of actives for about a third as much.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They should, being bigger and having larger drivers. But strangly, if you go to the homepage, the +- 3dB specs say otherwise. Maybe an error there?
Huh, you are right: the Blade 1 Meta does not extend much further than the Blade 2 Meta at all, just a little bass bump and I assume probably even less compression.

newplot.png

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, that's pretty exceptional for a passive. Bloody expensive though - with amps fit to drive these you're looking at probably 35k. That's a hard number to justify when you can get very similar levels of performance out of actives for about a third as much.
In these days of circa $1000 for 500 wpc Class D amplifiers.. Not really. Just add the price for a good preamp (miniDSP?) and you are done

Of course you need to add the price for Synergistic Research speaker cables ...
:p

NOT.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom