• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fosi v3 Mono | TPA3255 PFFB | Balanced | [First Look from Fosi FB]

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some measurements here:

OP
Guddu

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some measurements here:
Let’s add here for those who don’t have access to Fosi’s forum:

1710433045221.png

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the comments on the thread re this amp on the Fosi Facebook page...oh dear, oh dear, oh dear...:facepalm:

A current customer seems to be disappointed because it will use feedback (which he doesn't trust) and that Fosi doesn't supply a nice audiophile grade linear power supply.

Needless to say, when I pointed out the similarities between Class D and SMPS technology, the need for feedback, etc., he replied that he wasn't schooled in electronics but just wanted the best sound possible.
Even the most sophisticated arguments against feedback I've seen don't seem to hold water... (not that I've really looked)... people seem to be against feedback without even realizing what it is or why they should avoid it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Even the most sophisticated arguments against feedback I've seen don't seem to hold water... (not that I've really looked)... people seem to be against feedback without even realizing what it is or why they should avoid it.
When I studied the fundamentals of semi conductor devices we beat to death feedback versus no feedback by using circuit analysis and calculated everything about the comparative circuits. I was a subjective mess before the study and had many false ideas about feedback and other stuff too. The result of all that maths work calculating all the various stuff comparing feedback to no feedback was that I realized as the study was intended to indicate for us that feedback is not a bad thing like the legends and urban rumors state. It is a mathematically sooper accurate and effective way operation that has benefits that outweigh no feedback. :D

MCH

Major Contributor
Well my DAC can output 10 Volts, so not an issue at all for me but if I was feeling it with a 1v dongle like some people do I would not trade 10db gain for 10db sinad. Just my opinion.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Probably external PSU :/ I hope "auto" works on RCA also so trigger is not needed.
If auto works on RCA I'm buying two.
Good with an external SMPS supply - If it fails then its easy to replace.

sarieri

Forum Donor
It really needs to be sub $200. If it is $200, I would spend the extra $90 or so and get the Audiophonics in a nice case with internal PSU. Not a fan of external PSUs, and even less of two external PSUs. ;)

But dual mono is not equivalent to stereo.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

But dual mono is not equivalent to stereo.
Right.
But 3e is, by far, one of the best TPA3255 PFFB module available with quality components and great review/measurements.

On the other hand, we haven't seen any real meaningful additional power addition on TPA3255 in mono vs Stereo, not yet at least.

On a comparison, Audiophonics 3e amplifier probably would make more sense than anything else on similar price point when stereo is desired (as in TPA3255 based amplifier with internal PSU).

PE. I should also add that we might have this new Fosi v3 mono as good performer as 3e which would make this comparison end with personal choice without going wrong with any of these two.
BTW, Audiophonics 3e TPA3255 amplifier seems priced a bit high in MHO for what it is and I believe Fosi can do much better from price prospective.
*** Topping PA7 is another excellent TPA3255 contender if external PSU isn't a concern, around $400 - 500 mark.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I have become uneasy with Topping's reliability record as of late, so their products are off my list of potential buys.

Replacing the internal PSU in any of the single-case alternatives is certainly more involved than just plugging in a replacement external unit, but it wouldn't be a horribly involved task--assuming a direct or near-direct replacement is available. The only components that ever failed in a power amp I've owned since the 1970s are output transistors.

surroundman

It does seem like a good product. However, I fear that prices are increasing way too much after releasing products so often. If we have members who hope this mono amp to be under $200 are we still talking about budget (or even good value!) products!? I don't know ... I feel like the more we praise the recently released gear, the more we make the manufacturers believe they can charge a pinch more.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
If I had bought the ZA3 or V3 earlier, I wouldn't be trading up now. I have Q150s as an interim solution while we decided when and where to downsize so either of those would be adequate....but a couple of these monoblocks would be a more future-proof buy.

YesChickenNuggets

I notice that with the volume knob turned higher, the tweeter hiss is also higher, if I don't need the output, I'd prefer less hiss during silence. Does the removal of the volume knob mean that I will not be able to do this small trick and it will always be hissy? Will the higher sinad reduce the hiss?

OP
Guddu

Guddu

I notice that with the volume knob turned higher, the tweeter hiss is also higher, if I don't need the output, I'd prefer less hiss during silence. Does the removal of the volume knob mean that I will not be able to do this small trick and it will always be hissy? Will the higher sinad reduce the hiss?
I don’t have any tweeter hiss with A07 Max and Topping PA7 (don’t remember how it was with ZA3) with ELAC DBR62 even on max vol.
I will be surprised if this amp will have any hiss, may be with super sensitive speakers like some horns etc. if at all.
Fosi surely have good experience and exposure now after v3 and ZA3 amps.

OP
Guddu

Guddu

interesting but then I think instead of 2x of these v3 pffb monoblocks, why not a 2 channel Nc502mp hyped amp? Probably won’t cost that much more.
Right, there is some comparison wrt hypex 250 amps few posts back.

Talisman

Forum Donor
It does seem like a good product. However, I fear that prices are increasing way too much after releasing products so often. If we have members who hope this mono amp to be under $200 are we still talking about budget (or even good value!) products!? I don't know ... I feel like the more we praise the recently released gear, the more we make the manufacturers believe they can charge a pinch more.
I don't understand this reasoning.
If we ask (and obtain) from the producers greater engineering efforts, greater attention to materials, better performance, greater reliability, etc., then it will also be right for the producers to ask for an increase in the premium for their work. I don't think there is anything strange or absurd in this.

Top Bottom