• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How're the new Ascend Acoustics Luna V2 Mini Monitors?

AscendDF

Audio Company
I "pulled the plug" - as some say - on a pair of Lunas only to be informed that their domestic cabinet maker had gone out of business and thus they are unavailable for approx. half a year - IIRC.
Our Luna's and Duo's are currently going through a redesign in order to offer a version that will accommodate our Titan tweeter. We have had dozens of requests for this and the results are very promising. This is now our #1 priority and we hope to have both versions (RAAL ribbon and Titan dome) available by the Summer. It is taking longer than expected as these are very small cabinets with practically no room inside, so trying to fit a more complex crossover inside the cabinet has been extremely challenging.

Fully appreciate everyone's patience!!!

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Since these are on hiatus, Erin's Audio seems to be raving about the active near-field 4.5" Kali LP-UNF at only $300/pr if you can accommodate their looks.
Yeah thanks. These look very interesting and great value. I wonder how much different they will sound compared to the Lunas.

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Since these are on hiatus, Erin's Audio seems to be raving about the active near-field 4.5" Kali LP-UNF at only $300/pr if you can accommodate their looks.
Just got the Kalis :) my initial impressions below. They sound pretty sweet indeed. No brainer for $300 bucks.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Perhaps Ascend might want to send the Luna V2 data to @pierre (Spinorama) so potential comparisons are up to date?

Astonishing that a revised crossover made such a significant difference (along with a port enhancement).
I am not positive, but fairly certain, that Dave said this is a whole new woofer designed/produced by SEAS for the new version, along with a new crossover design and bamboo cabinet etc.

Therefore, not really directly comparable...

@AscendDF Sorry to drag you into another thread, but if you could perhaps please clarify to this forum member

beagleman

Major Contributor
Perhaps check the web site?

There is nothing on the vendor's web page to indicate that the Luna V2 woofer was changed from V1.

Also, checking the vendor's web site for the Luna V2 upgrade one can see that no new woofer is involved.

In short, you may be fairly certain, but I think you are incorrect.

View attachment 359967
You are correct, obviously, but I thought I read it on the forum where Dave said something like that, perhaps I completely misunderstood what was said now...?

jar

Livnmuskoka

I've got Elac Unifi Ref in another set-up for a much bigger space. I like them very much for off-axis general listening esp when paired with a RSL10s. Haven't seen many well rated coaxial designs for small near field speakers. The most notable one being KEF LS50s which were the rave of the YT reviewer community but not quite so in ASR.
Which speakers have better detail and clarity, Uni-Fi Reference or Sierra 1 V2?

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Which speakers have better detail and clarity, Uni-Fi Reference or Sierra 1 V2?
I’ve got these speakers in completely different set ups. So my opinion is purely subjective.

In terms of clarity and detail the Sierra 1 V2s are better. In terms of off axis listening I give the edge to the Elac Unifi Refs.

Livnmuskoka

I’ve got these speakers in completely different set ups. So my opinion is purely subjective.

In terms of clarity and detail the Sierra 1 V2s are better. In terms of off axis listening I give the edge to the Elac Unifi Refs.
Great, thank you! I bought Sierra LX about 6 weeks ago but won't be able to hear them for another month or so yet. First waiting for my amp to arrive, now waiting for our builder to finish the basement.
I sold all my audio gear about 2 years ago and wanted to get a new start and build my end game system.
I briefly owned Uni-Fi Reference UBR62's x 3 for my LCR. I found the UBR62's to be very good, especially when using ARC and having them hooked up to a better dac and power amp.
So if the Sierra 1 V2 have better detail and clarity, I shouldn't be disappointed in the LX.
I'm really hoping the LX have detail/clarity as good as my previous Bryston Mini T's but with better accuracy. They're rated as 3rd best standmount speakers in preference ratings under $9,000 US, right below Sointuva's and Reference 1 Meta's, so they should be really good.
If anybody else can compare the LX's detail/clarity to high end speakers would be awesome. I haven't owned many higher end speakers but I have heard lots.

Last edited:
OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

Great, thank you! I bought Sierra LX about 6 weeks ago but won't be able to hear them for another month or so yet. First waiting for my amp to arrive, now waiting for our builder to finish the basement.
I sold all my audio gear about 2 years ago and wanted to get a new start and build my end game system.
I briefly owned Uni-Fi Reference UBR62's x 3 for my LCR. I found the UBR62's to be very good, especially when using ARC and having them hooked up to a better dac and power amp.
So if the Sierra 1 V2 have better detail and clarity, I shouldn't be disappointed in the LX.
I'm really hoping the LX have detail/clarity as good as my previous Bryston Mini T's but with better accuracy. They're rated as 3rd best standmount speakers in preference ratings under $9,000 US, right below Sointuva's and Reference 1 Meta's, so they should be really good.
If anybody else can compare the LX's detail/clarity to high end speakers would be awesome. I haven't owned many higher end speakers but I have heard lots.
After having the S1 V2s for a few months now I reckon you'd be pretty pleased with your LXs for all round HT and Stereo duties. At this stage I think you're down to subjective personal preferences and system/room acoustics/DSP set-up on which systems sounds better for you.

I'm still on budget to mid-end price range of audio spending. But very happy with the S1 V2s and Kali LP-UNF. Trying not to upgrade for a while haha. Hopefully the industry keeps going in the right direction of using proper measurements as a starting point for all audio products. ASR has played such a big role in this push.

Top Bottom