• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bricasti M1SE Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 111 29.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 137 36.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 29.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 17 4.5%

• Total voters

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I've always found it interesting. I just didn't understand you were asking about that specifically. That's why I asked for clarification.

Your challenge "Where did I claim whatever was interesting?" looked like a deflection when I read it. I wasn't assuming unreasonably, you were interested in your own argument, as it turns out. But that's not important to get stuck arguing about.

Initial misundestandings aside, the substance of my reply was that your argument that "it's $9800 overpriced" is calculated on personal value judgement (obviously). We can say I value the industrial design etc of the device more than you do, so my calculus is different. Personally I don't think different industrial design is fungible (others might). If we have sufficient disposable income, then a preference for particular design etc equates to acceptable (or preferable) value. In this case we can also enjoy a design preference without any audible disadvantage (not always the case with limited production audio gear).

The cable isn't the potential point of failure, the adapter is. Every non permanent (threaded or solder) connection is a potential point of failure (aka where an issue can occur).

Clipping is the point, if you are well above the expected input level you will get clipping. How bad the clipping is depends purely on the safety margin designed into the devise on the receiving end.

Because your (and many other users) anything priced above the cheapest audibly transparent DAC is overpriced retort is presumptuous and short sighted (imo). And to be clear I"m not talking about just this review. You can find people calling DACs in the $200 to $250 range overpriced and horrible because they can find one for les than $100 that meets their specific needs.

The adapter is just a cable with two terminated ends just like an XLR to XLR cable. There is no reliably concern. I'm done with this tangent.

The point was that your criticism of the voltage difference wasn't a point in your favor. I just explained that the other end, you know, the amp, would max out at 0.6V. There is no reason to think inconsistency in the output is any better or worse than inconsistency in input sensitivity. Will it make more of a square wave with more volts? Sure. Is it worth $9800 more dollars to keep the knob down a little more, or less, depending on my amp sensitivity? I don't think it matters.

What so you have a problem with exactly? People calling something overpriced because a lesser priced one met their needs? Let's pretend the DAC is a million dollars. Would you then say that it's overpriced? You'll be just like the other presumptuous and short slighted. Your words. Don't you think perspective matters?

If you want to prove the DAC is worth the thousands it commands, then please kindly explain what the presumptuous and short sighted are missing, exactly.

100% agreed. I have no problem with having different taste, wants, or needs. Hence why I posted this apparently controversial price stance. When it comes to aesthetics, materials, what ever else, I would never claim to not buy something for my own vanity. I won't judge others for doing so either.

I may change my mind about all of this tomorrow. Who knows. That's why I tend to challenge others. I may learn something. I have many times.

Edit: I wasn't challenging you earlier. I was legitimately confused

Then my first reply to you was apposite, and your challenge "Where did I claim whatever was interesting?" looked like a deflection when I read it. I wasn't assuming unreasonably, you were interested in your own argument, as it turns out. But that's not important to get stuck arguing about.

Initial misundestandings aside, the substance of my reply was that your argument that "it's $9800 overpriced" is calculated on personal value judgement (obviously). We can say I value the industrial design etc of the device more than you do, so my calculus is different. Personally I don't think different industrial design is fungible. If we have sufficient disposable income, then a preference for particular design etc equates to acceptable (or preferable) value. In this case we can also enjoy a design preference without any audible disadvantage (not always the case with limited production audio gear).

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some general observations of the DAC craze.:) hopefully you see some humour in it.
Amirm started this very site with many DAC tests .

* It’s usually the best performing part of anyone’s systems and has been transparent for decades. And consequently the least interesting one to pay attention to .
* still placebo is ripe audiophiles change DAC’s more often than underwear, cables with even less differences changes more often , go figure.
* DAC mfg should stick the filter setting to the correct one that reconstruct the signal properly it’s there among the slightly worse choices that you can’t hear and some bad filters that you possibly can hear ( get real eq ffs ).
* DAC should be a commodity part of a more interesting product like a preamp, headphone amp , DSP preamp thingy :) active speakers ? ( the RME mini DSP SHD or WiiM PRO+)

The bricasti does it have volume control so that it can drive power amps directly ? Or is the expensive featureless audiophile preamp also needed ?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't see getting too worked up over the performance, as it should be entirely transparent audibly. And the thing looks gorgeous. And the filters are excellent.

I am not now, nor will I ever be, in the market for a $10,000 DAC. But if I were, I'd strongly consider this one.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The adapter is just a cable with two terminated ends just like an XLR to XLR cable. There is no reliably concern. I'm done with this tangent.
In a professional environment any additional connections are considered a liability. Hence why they have a range of cables with different terminations on hand!

What so you have a problem with exactly? People calling something overpriced because a lesser priced one met their needs?
The almost always implied DACS shouldn't cost more than $X because you can get some audibly transparent DAC for $X. It's just as bad as the golden ears on the opposite end of the spectrum who claim all dacs have a sound signature, and imply only $$$ ones have good signatures

What so you have a problem with exactly? People calling something overpriced because a lesser priced one met their needs?
I strait up said earlier today it isn't worth it (imo). The fact that you have to open it up and move a jumper to get the correct output voltage is ludicrous!

In a professional environment any additional connections are considered a liability. Hence why they have a range of cables with different terminations on hand!

The almost always implied DACS shouldn't cost more than $X because you can get some audibly transparent DAC for $X. It's just as bad as the golden ears on the opposite end of the spectrum who claim all dacs have a sound signature, and imply only $$$ ones have good signatures

I strait up said earlier today it isn't worth it (imo). The fact that you have to open it up and move a jumper to get the correct output voltage is ludicrous!

There are no additional connections...?? I have no idea what you're getting at.

If they're just as bad as the golden eared, then you'll have to explain how they're wrong, because I don't see it. The golden types don't have actual data to back them up. The others do.

Like I asked before, what are they missing? There is something the data isn't showing that you can quantify without data? After all, is t that exactly what the golden eared types are?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
My Motu M4 will sound the same, has mic and line inputs, phantom power, great meters, is balanced, comes with recording software, is built tough, is small, is USB powered (portable), can mix inputs, has a volume control, HP out and if it dies (not likely) I can buy 50 more for that price. And I prefer the look.
Hand built? So what robot's are more consistent.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Performance aside for the moment... there is no universe where this represents value in any shape or form. It's absolute highway robbery to charge this kind of money for a DAC. There is nothing about it that commands this kind of price.

This DAC weighs 7.7kg (17 lbs)... I'd expect at least 84g (3 ounces) of that to be solid gold ($2,153.60 an ounce) for $10K. :cool:

JSmith

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The bricasti does it have volume control so that it can drive power amps directly ? Or is the expensive featureless audiophile preamp also needed ?
It can and they recommend such in their manual.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If they're just as bad as the golden eared, then you'll have to explain how they're wrong, because I don't see it. The golden types don't have actual data to back them up. The others do.

Like I asked before, what are they missing? There is something the data isn't showing that you can quantify without data? After all, is t that exactly what the golden eared types are?

It's pretty strait forward, Take a hypothetical audibly transparent cheap DAC that only has USB in, and unbalanced stereo rca out.

• It's useless to someone who wants or needs optical, coax, or BT inputs (or multiple inputs).
  • It's useless to someone who wants or needs balanced output.
  • No PEQ support- one of the reasons the RME ADI-2 is popular
  • no 12v trigger
  • et etc

Cheap relative to $10k? Regardless I don't see why someone who doesn't need to consider those things would be shallow, or what ever term you used to insinuate how vapid they are.
It's pretty strait forward, Take a hypothetical audibly transparent cheap DAC that only has USB in, and unbalanced stereo rca out.

• It's useless to someone who wants or needs optical, coax, or BT inputs (or multiple inputs).
  • It's useless to someone who wants or needs balanced output.
  • No PEQ support- one of the reasons the RME ADI-2 is popular
  • no 12v trigger
  • et etc

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
There is nothing about it that commands this kind of price.
I read first two pages of comments and then skipped eight just to see if there are still comments about the high price, and to my surprise, there is.

When will you all, who comment about the price and say you can get a better DAC for a fraction of the money, get that this DAC is not made to be value?
This kind of equipment is made with industrial design and luxury as a priority and then performance.

Nobody, and I mean nobody here is telling you that you should buy it, so quit these kinds of rants, because they are boring and take up a lot of space, and it makes reading meaningfull comments hard to read.

By the way, this DAC performs well and it is not broken and even though I am not a fan of their ID, I do admit it looks good, so they can set their price as much as they want. Whoever likes it can buy it and that's their business.

Now, I do apologize to you, Jsmith, for using your comment to make a point and this is not personally directed to you.

I apologize to others who find themselves offended, but I really hope you stop being bores with the same comments over and over...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I read first two pages of comments and then skipped eight just to see if there are still comments about the high price, and to my surprise, there is.

When will you all, who comment about the price and say you can get a better DAC for a fraction of the money, get that this DAC is not made to be value?
This kind of equipment is made with industrial design and luxury as a priority and then performance.

Nobody, and I mean nobody here is telling you that you should buy it, so quit these kinds of rants, because they are boring and take up a lot of space, and it makes reading meaningfull comments hard to read.

By the way, this DAC performs well and it is not broken and even though I am not a fan of their ID, I do admit it looks good, so they can set their price as much as they want. Whoever likes it can buy it and that's their business.

Now, I do apologize to you, Jsmith, for using your comment to make a point and this is not personally directed to you.

I apologize to others who find themselves offended, but I really hope you stop being bores with the same comments over and over...
I think the luxury part escapes me. I mentioned the Okto Research. Something in my subjective opinion which is more attractive, full sized, performs better for 1/10th the cost. So maybe some like the look better but 10 times better? Luxury to me would be some additional features or capabilities or conveniences. This Bricasti has none vs a number of other choices. If you said it was a status symbol which also performs well then okay I'd have no qualms with that.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I actually think it looks poor as well tbh and that red "dot matrix" screen is very outdated/cheap, but ETTO.

The company that sells this DAC though is the point of contention, as they know this DAC is worth no more than $1500 at most, yet continue to ride their old DAC cash cow. This DAC offers nothing special...

Not everyone who buys these "high end" products actually is well off... I know people that save money for some time and spend it on devices like this because they believe the marketing spiels and ingrained audiophile myths.

I do appreciate your points though and the comment that this was not directed at me specifically. I only posted about price as there were pages of back and forth about price, so decided to weigh in on the subject.

The device technically performs as per specifications and isn't broken, which is not in question.

JSmith

Fidji

One of those performs much better, has much more really useful functionalities on top, some of them can even save your life,. The other one is archaic technology, parts and material worth probably 5% of the price. Second one costs 1000x more.
Not everything in life needs to be a rational decision. E.g. choosing a life companion in the state of complete hormonal mess ["being in love"]

1709793980288.png

1709793268647.png

Honestly, if I would be living in US, I would send this piece of electronics to Amir. It will measure worse than Toppings. But it would be fun to read the comments.
No need to take everything in life so seriously, I am amazed how people get emotional about how others spend their money on silicon and metal.
1709722703306.png

Last edited:

elberoth

It is absolutely being sold. Both the M1 and with upgrades for SE, MDx, etc.

View attachment 354640

Regardless, the new version has identical specs so it makes no difference.

Their internal naming is confusing. All the new DACs beeing offered by Bricasti - be it regular M1 and SE - are MDx models. MDx upgrade brings a completely new digital board (even if you opt not to have the Ethernet card fitted).

I know first hand, as I have helped friend to replace it it his M1SE. I must still have the old digital baord laying around somwhere.

I belive the only difference between the regular and SE model nowadays are different feet.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it still screams "high-end" to me.
Beauty is really in the eye of the beholder. It looks like it would sell for $49.99 + shipping on Aliexpress to me. At least from the photos.

There are also lots of photos online for the inside of this device, if anyone is curious. Here's a random one I selected. The very earliest models (non-SE I believe) used an SMPS for the digital board, instead of only LPS.

m1_inside.jpeg
You get a power supply, you get a power supply, everybody gets a power supply!

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
100% agreed. I have no problem with having different taste, wants, or needs. Hence why I posted this apparently controversial price stance. When it comes to aesthetics, materials, what ever else, I would never claim to not buy something for my own vanity. I won't judge others for doing so either.

I may change my mind about all of this tomorrow. Who knows. That's why I tend to challenge others. I may learn something. I have many times.

Edit: I wasn't challenging you earlier. I was legitimately confused

I hope I didn't overreact to misreading your intention also. :)

I know someone who has the Bricasti monoblocks, and the physical execution is very nice (nothing wrong with the sound either, subjectively speaking). Too heavy for anyone to send to Amir any time soon, but it's good to know the electrical engineering likely doesn't let it down. Cost-effectiveness against say a pair of March Purifi monoblocks is similarly debatable of course. Both are impeccable build-wise, but present very differently as aesthetic objects. If my income was to triple, I'd take the lot.

Top Bottom