• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I dont have much to say about Pink or Ms. Grande... some of them are kinda very US centric

but its easy to see where Katy Perry went wrong... the 'California Girl' ethic has a use by date and she never innovated or changed to consumer tastes... Ms. Swift did... so did Madonna.

What is Katy Perry in 2024? no one can say.

We know what she was in 2010.

As people have said didnt Swift change from country and western?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i just listened to 'evermore' start to finish

sounds a bit Jewel, bit Joni Mitchell, bit very very light Kate Bush but nothing there stands out

Michael Rosen meme.. "its alright" but there's nothing there that deems a 2nd listen

Kate Bush has half a dozen banger albums
*six* 'banger' albums?

I love Kate's stuff generally but often within an album quality varies.

Bangers? Hounds of Love, sure. After that I'm pressed to name one that's similarly great all the way through, though there's at least one stellar track on most. YMMV.

Swift has how many albums now? (not to mention re-recorded ones with alternate timings) You've checked out one, once, and now you know she has no 'bangers'? I'm nowhere near familiar enough with her work to say that.

levimax

Major Contributor
ok.... now its got real

my wife and my girlfriend and my wife's boyfriend (aka my son) asked me to get some taylor swift for them

i actually quite like say... Katy Perry... and Lady Gaga... perry on the strength of one album and Lady Gaga based on her work that's NOT her discography... i dont like Poker Face or...Just Dance... I mean that's all I know.

But I cant name one Taylor Swift song.

So tell me, what do you young ladies like about Taylor Swift.

I like her taste in private jets though!
One of the best things about streaming is you can find out first hand what the music is about. Just go to Taylor Swift top tracks and stream away. I did that the other day and while I certainly was not converted into a "Swifty" I thought the music was OK for "pop" music. The subject matter of most of the songs was not interesting to me which I would not expect as I am far from her target audience. Obviously her super popularity is based on things that go far beyond the music itself and she has proven herself to be a very savvy "recorded music mogul".

Barrelhouse Solly

I drive my granddaughters around from time to time and they control the radio. I've heard Taylor Swift. I'm indifferent. She doesn't annoy me but I don't get excited. There are some other currently popular singers I enjoy, Billie Eilish and Camilla Cabello for example. I haven't noticed Swift's lyrics but on the car radio the vocals are buried in the mix. The ones I've seen quoted in print aren't going to make me forget Emily Dickinson or Memphis Minnie.

I was not quite born during the Frank Sinatra hysteria, in late grade school when Elvis appeared, and was in my first year of college when the Beatles appeared. It's a recurring phenomenon in pop music and pop culture in general. I liked the Beatles but not Sinatra or Elvis. Sinatra's pitch problems overpowered his phrasing and Elvis sounded too mannered.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sam_adams

Major Contributor
We're talking about Becky?
becky.jpg

Don't be Becky.
RIP, Becky.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The answer is "angst". It's not something the typical demographic of this kind of forum suffers from.
To me, it sounds more convincing with the voice of Till Lindeman. To consider something mainstream I like...

To me, Taylor Swift simply has such a cultural gap with me that I don't know how to evaluate her art beyond 'I do not find It interesting".

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The hell is that Taylor Swift has 15 times the artistic credibility of Arinna Grande.
I think that overrates T-swizz and underrates Ms. Grande... but as they say, the bitterest battles are fought over the smallest stakes. They're both bland Top-40 pop-by-numbers snooze machines if you ask me.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems to fit the general audiophile vibe: if it is something that isn't your own personal favorite, denigrate it.
I don't hate Taylor swift or even particularly dislike, just don't understand the hype.

Given that her target demographic is almost the diametric opposite of the prevailing demography of this forum, I'd say this thread has been more or less polite.
How do you guys feel about Death Metal? Or some Rap where all there is beat plus obscenity. I say to each their own.
Death metal is OK but I'm more of a thrash guy. As for rap and hiphop, I've been a fan for some 25 years now*.

*Apparently this surprises people that don't know me well, I'm told I look more like a Phish fan than anything. Not sure how I feel about that.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
How do you guys feel about Death Metal? Or some Rap where all there is beat plus obscenity. I say to each their own.
I listen to Death and Black Metal on a daily basis. I'm currently listening to Craft as I type these words.

For rap, I love old stuff such as Fear of a Black Planet from Public Enemy.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Death metal is OK but I'm more of a thrash guy. As for rap and hiphop, I've been a fan for some 25 years now.
Not a hater just not a fan. :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

levimax

Major Contributor
Sometimes she uses it , sometimes she doesn't. She's a good enough vocalist that it's unnecessary but go figure.
Autotune is now part of the "art"/ "sound" for a lot of current pop music whether the person can sing in tune or not. I don't like it, it makes everyone sound the same and robotic, but I am not the target market.

Top Bottom