• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

does anyone listen to Taylor Swift? tell me what the draw is

SSS

After the Taylor Swift hype I listened to some of her songs. Well made and successful over long distance. But it is not my kind of music.
But there must be many people who like it because she has so much money earned.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
funnily enough both Perry and Swift are in my country, hosting events

Perry took a American domestic airline, first class but... her day was 10yrs ago.

I personally have not listened to any of her stuff except.. 'Teenage Dream'...

I'm not a fan of squirting ketchup from Madonna style breast cones but you cant tell me that's not a special album.

She wrote most of that and there's clearly some real bangers there.... and some clangers I guess...

I'm just wondered if Swift has such a signature album or signature tunes.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are musicians and there are "STARS". Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't. The rules for what makes someone a STAR are a mystery to me and also pretty irrelevant to me.

Taylor Swift is a STAR and some people like that (quite a lot of people!). I thinks she's an ok musician too, not my thing, but that's got nothing to do with her popularity.

Tempted to link to the thread on why Vinyl is so popular :) ...

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
ok.... now its got real

my wife and my girlfriend and my wife's boyfriend (aka my son) asked me to get some taylor swift for them

i actually quite like say... Katy Perry... and Lady Gaga... perry on the strength of one album and Lady Gaga based on her work that's NOT her discography... i dont like Poker Face or...Just Dance... I mean that's all I know.

But I cant name one Taylor Swift song.

So tell me, what do you young ladies like about Taylor Swift.

I like her taste in private jets though!
My wife and I are utterly discombobulated by the second sentence of you post!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very pretty, great onstage presence, but just no vocal talent. And even if she's not autotuned, she sounds autotuned. Most of these pop princesses have no vocal talent, and she's certainly no exception.

Obizzz

If you actually want a serious reply listen to Folklore or Evermore. Both of those fall more into the singer songwriter category and shows off her songwriting skills.

If you want a more pop style upbeat album check out 1989.

I don't think it's very hard to get her appeal. Clever lyrics about subjects that a lot of people (especially teenage girls) can relate to.

Shake it Off isn't really a good representation of her discography IMHO.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I may not care for her type of Pop music but she is absolutely doing something right. She is worth 1.1 Billion and raking in millions every day.

And she is only 34 years old. So yeah. I would say that is tremendously successful.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
my wife and my girlfriend and my wife's boyfriend (aka my son) asked me to get some taylor swift for them
I just don’t know what to ask or say. :oops:

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
If you actually want a serious reply listen to Folklore or Evermore. Both of those fall more into the singer songwriter category and shows off her songwriting skills.

If you want a more pop style upbeat album check out 1989.

I don't think it's very hard to get her appeal. Clever lyrics about subjects that a lot of people (especially teenage girls) can relate to.

Shake it Off isn't really a good representation of her discography IMHO.
I think those two albums are terrific . Good writing, performance, production. I'm 67 FWIW. I listened to them after Ryan Adams did a cover of her "1989 " album. I even brought my daughter back into the TS fold, and have thus seen her concert films many times. I understand perfectly well why young women love her, she's a positive role model and a tireless performer. I don't much care for her dance pop material but that's not my musical bag anyway.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
She is a constant reminder that once you teach yourself to hear autotune and digital pitch correction, you can never un-hear it.

b7676

The same commercial draw as Kidz Bop or Now that's what I call music.
The most derivative immitation of original 'sounds', played as close to infringement as possible and clearly a team of attorneys push the product to get there. For a monolithic audience not saavy enough to detect the cuckoo mimetic, easily appeased by pandering, and fooled by availability. Elevator Entenmanns.
Swift appears to be a (State supported) Joe Jackson Eunuch.

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you guys feel about Death Metal? Or some Rap where all there is beat plus obscenity. I say to each their own.

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i just listened to 'evermore' start to finish

sounds a bit Jewel, bit Joni Mitchell, bit very very light Kate Bush but nothing there stands out

Michael Rosen meme.. "its alright" but there's nothing there that deems a 2nd listen

Kate Bush has half a dozen banger albums

Dilliw

Every move she makes, every breath she takes (o.k. I stole that) is calculated to make the Tay Tay train more money. And she's an extremely focused person on that aspect more so that art. Pink is an artist who is somewhat focused, Katy is unfocused, and Lady Gaga is more of a artist who became popular. Ariana looks good singing.

Top Bottom