• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I mad? Judge me...and leave a recommendation.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
So I hate valve amps (erm...'toob' amps). I don't like their sound. I don't like their performance.
I'm sure McIntosh tube amps are just as transparent as any good as any solid state amp. I actually had once when I was in high school. Somebody gave it to me and it sounded fine but it was mono and I eventually ended giving it away to someone else. (And, I wasn't really fascinated with outdated technology.)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There's the LG DukeBox for the discerning audiophile who likes to take in the valve glow with his eyes closed...

kwVqZ2KSKvtBXzwtFxuUvE-650-80.jpg.webp

Count Arthur

Major Contributor

Instead of an RGB LED strip, use RGB LED "bulbs" to illuminate the vacuum tubes from below:

1708990118531.png

Mount the three potentiometers on the front of the case with some nice retro looking knobs:

1708990194288.png

You can now adjust in the RGB colours to create an authentic looking orange, or go nuts and have purple, or whatever you want. :)

Last edited:

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just buy a tube amp and enjoy it.

A proper HiFi enthusiats should have the following things or they are not serious:

At least 4 pairs of speakers
Several integrated amplifiers.
A few pre/power pairs.
Two broken cassette decks and one mostly working.
Random mixtapes.
A 10" NAB reel of tape with some obscure master of an artist nobody's heard of.
3 CD players- one with a jammed CD inside.
A decent turntable or three.
Two pairs of headphones.
And
At least one Tube Amp!
Hilarious!! I might be guilty!

pinger

Tube amps are cool. Not worth the trouble though with blown tubes etc. SS for me all day

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I echo the suggestion to just get a clock or similar tube-display item.

If you want an actual piece of gear, though, maybe a Schitt Freya+ preamp? It has tubes but you can also bypass them. The tubes stick out of the top so you're good to go there - I'm just not sure if they still glow when you have them bypassed.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Just buy a tube amp and enjoy it.

A proper HiFi enthusiats should have the following things or they are not serious:

At least 4 pairs of speakers
Several integrated amplifiers.
A few pre/power pairs.
Two broken cassette decks and one mostly working.
Random mixtapes.
A 10" NAB reel of tape with some obscure master of an artist nobody's heard of.
3 CD players- one with a jammed CD inside.
A decent turntable or three.
Two pairs of headphones.
And
At least one Tube Amp!
Can I substitute a 8 track player/recorder for the reel to reel ??

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Can I substitute a 8 track player/recorder for the reel to reel ??

Absolutely! Double points if it actually works.

And, if anyone has a drawer full of NOS tubes for "rolling", they get a bonus immunity card they can play anytime to avoid being kicked out of the audiophile playground.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So I hate valve amps (erm...'toob' amps). I don't like their sound. I don't like their performance. I don't like the fact that you have to spend a relative fortune to get a half-decent-sounding one.

Now you may disagree with any or all of that, but let's leave that to one side for the moment, because you can still help me out, even if you totally disagree. Isn't that a breath of fresh air.

I also think they look fantastic. I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, but for me they look quite wonderful.

So I want one. But I'm not going to use it, at least not to power any speakers or headphones. I just want a set of massive, juicy glowing valves on my desktop.

And I want them to cost next to nothing.

Over to you for recommendations.

Many thanks.

Now imagine not only owning a nice glowy tube amp that you loved to look at, but enjoying the sound as well!

Best of both worlds!

Join us....

:D

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Now imagine not only owning a nice glowy tube amp that you loved to look at, but enjoying the sound as well!

Best of both worlds!

Join us....

:D

One step at a time. Let's get the thing in his door first.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeah the kondo wavac and old mckintosh stuff? Or Lamm? Absolutely sick looking.

So I hate valve amps (erm...'toob' amps). I don't like their sound. I don't like their performance. I don't like the fact that you have to spend a relative fortune to get a half-decent-sounding one.

Now you may disagree with any or all of that, but let's leave that to one side for the moment, because you can still help me out, even if you totally disagree. Isn't that a breath of fresh air.

I also think they look fantastic. I'm sure they're not everyone's cup of tea, but for me they look quite wonderful.

So I want one. But I'm not going to use it, at least not to power any speakers or headphones. I just want a set of massive, juicy glowing valves on my desktop.

And I want them to cost next to nothing.

Over to you for recommendations.

Many thanks.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Do you have electronics repair skills or do you want to develop such skills? You could try and get a non-working valve amplifier to work. Multiple bonuses in one go.

Valve circuits are sometimes simpler to understand and (unlike SMD solutions) it's often relatively easy to replace components. But be aware of lethal voltages (which is why it's safer to start with line-level solid state kit instead).

OP
Yorkshire Mouth

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Do you have electronics repair skills or do you want to develop such skills? You could try and get a non-working valve amplifier to work. Multiple bonuses in one go.

Valve circuits are sometimes simpler to understand and (unlike SMD solutions) it's often relatively easy to replace components. But be aware of lethal voltages (which is why it's safer to start with line-level solid state kit instead).

Skill set ≤ 0.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
But be aware of lethal voltages (which is why it's safer to start with line-level solid state kit instead).

It's the 'lethal voltages' thing that puts me off the tube world.

Working around 600v gives me the heebies.

Top Bottom