• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using Tidal Connect on a raspberry pi without Volumio

kadajawi

Hmm... maybe you're having trouble installing and configuring it correctly? Because I can confirm once again - here and now it works for me without any problems! (RPi 3 and Digi+ Pro with System Software 20230404)

WiiM idea seems good. But are you sure it's not "messing" with your network in a way you wouldn't want? It's so damn cheap...
And when it comes to Pi and HiFi BerryOS - I know what I have!
It used to work, then after updating Moode it didn't. And HiFiBerry OS gave me a ton of headache as well... I have it running right now with Moode, but it wasn't trivial for someone who really knows his way around Linux... that's his day job.

If you're lucky / love tinkering, sure, use the Pi. But at this point I would not recommend buying a Pi and the rest of the hardware, rather than the Wiim. And yeah, that risk always exist, but you could isolate it in your network if you really want to. That's probably easier to do than to get the Pi running. Also, is the Wiim that cheap? The hardware required isn't that expensive (the DAC for example is useless). Licenses and the software cost, but I suppose they sell a ton of these. IMHO other companies are vastly overcharging, cause they can.

mice

It used to work, then after updating Moode it didn't. And HiFiBerry OS gave me a ton of headache as well... I have it running right now with Moode, but it wasn't trivial for someone who really knows his way around Linux... that's his day job.

If you're lucky / love tinkering, sure, use the Pi. But at this point I would not recommend buying a Pi and the rest of the hardware, rather than the Wiim. And yeah, that risk always exist, but you could isolate it in your network if you really want to. That's probably easier to do than to get the Pi running. Also, is the Wiim that cheap? The hardware required isn't that expensive (the DAC for example is useless). Licenses and the software cost, but I suppose they sell a ton of these. IMHO other companies are vastly overcharging, cause they can.
And Wiim, has a built-in microphone, that can't be turned off...
Well, unless can - then tell me how?

KrafKloot

Hi there, i got tidal connect running on a bare bone Pi OS system, but only with my old behringer DAC.
I have a new SMSL d6S which is a big jump in performance, but i can´t make it work with my Pi. Is there some trick to get some XMOS devices show up in "$ aplay -l"?
I know my way around ssh and some basic linux stuff, but rely heavily on web documentation for most projects. I just can´t find anything on a similar problem.
Anyone got an idea?

KrafKloot

Ok its embarrasingly stupid. The USB-C cable was the problem...
Working perfect now. It´s actually a upgrade to the Wiim, because its a lot more responsive via tidal connect

mice

love tinkering
YES - I really love tinkering, so I have checked this WiiM with Wireshark very thoroughly and conclusion is: there is no need to isolate it in local network.
In my opinion, this is probably the best device of this type currently available on the market.

quatmo

I often use Pi for listening to music, and Tidal Connect is especially important for me. However, like some other Pi users, I don't want to pay an additional fee for that. Therefore, I have been using the Tidal Connect binary file on Github for many years on various music operating systems (Volumio, MoodeAudio, RopeeeXL, PiCorePlayer, SMPD, and even self-installed on HiFiBerryOS without using the available Tidal Connect docker).

The final stop for my self-integrated Tidal Connect is on rAudio (an Arch Linux-based distribution), which provides refined audio output even when listening to low-quality music and piCorePlayer OS. I have stored two IMG build versions (for easy flashing to an SD card) here:

rAudio Tidal Connect 64 bit:

piCorePlayer Tidal Connect 32 bit:

You can use it if you want, or integrate it yourself by following the instructions in my repository.

doublebstyle

I am using latest moode 64 bit on pi zero 2w with LG HiFi plus usb DAC tidal connect working perfectly just returned wiim mini as my DAC is way better

https://github.com/GioF71/tidal-connect

you can install using this guide easily, it is also support mqa both software unfolding and direct bypass both cases bit perfect output

Downside is it can stop working anytime and hi res flac support is missing but you can always jump to Bubble Upnp as it now supports also hi res flacs and to be honest not the worst UI anyway

Rmar

Dear fellow forum members,

I'd like to use Tidal Connect on my raspberry pi's. However, I strongly dislike repeated payments. Therefore, I don't want to wish Volumio.
A lifetime fee would be no issue, but that is not possible at the moment.

Anyone know of a free or one-time payment way to get Tidal Connect on a RP4?
I did not think Volumio had a cost to it. Is there not a free version?

As an aside, I am trying to get my Pi up and running right now too. The learning curve is steeper than I expected. I am waiting on Amazon to deliver a USB to USB cable so I can try to connect my Pi4 to a PC.. Hopefully then I'll be able to communicate directly with the Pi to see what is next. In the process I learned that with the Home Edition of Windows 11 does not support peer to peer communications. Need to upgrade to Windows Pro. Not going t happen. I have been looking for third party software for device manafement as well.

Would you have any time to chat about the whole Pi process offline sometime? Respectfully, Rob

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
There is a free version, but it doesn't include the Tidal Connect part. IIRC that bit is closed source, and I suspect at least partially licensed from Tidal.

Nutul

As an aside, I am trying to get my Pi up and running right now too. The learning curve is steeper than I expected. I am waiting on Amazon to deliver a USB to USB cable so I can try to connect my Pi4 to a PC.. Hopefully then I'll be able to communicate directly with the Pi to see what is next. In the process I learned that with the Home Edition of Windows 11 does not support peer to peer communications. Need to upgrade to Windows Pro. Not going t happen. I have been looking for third party software for device manafement as well.

Would you have any time to chat about the whole Pi process offline sometime? Respectfully, Rob
I see it's a bit late... but why USB - USB?!? You can SSH into it. Just have it connect to the LAN. Then you can do what you want as if you were connected to it with a keyboard and display...

Yanirgv

I am using the Docker Tidal-Connect version (https://github.com/TonyTromp/tidal-connect-docker) on RPI OS (NOT WifiBerry OS) and it works very well.
I would like to use PeppyMeter, which is pulling "Now Playing" info from ALSA, however the 'Docked' solution is a stand-alone environment and does not utilize ALSA at all. Anyone had any luck with pulling "Now Playing" info to RPI screen (HDMI)?

Nutul

I am using the Docker Tidal-Connect version (https://github.com/TonyTromp/tidal-connect-docker) on RPI OS (NOT WifiBerry OS) and it works very well.
I would like to use PeppyMeter, which is pulling "Now Playing" info from ALSA, however the 'Docked' solution is a stand-alone environment and does not utilize ALSA at all. Anyone had any luck with pulling "Now Playing" info to RPI screen (HDMI)?
It depends on what software does the playback on the Pi, and if it (either the OS or the player) handles HDMI out.
If it is just a TIDAL headless wrapper / client, I am afraid you cannot get anything to show...

Yanirgv

It depends on what software does the playback on the Pi, and if it (either the OS or the player) handles HDMI out.
If it is just a TIDAL headless wrapper / client, I am afraid you cannot get anything to show...
Thank you -
Using the Tidal-Connect-Docker to stream Tidal (Connect) through Pi4 (with HDMI) and onto a USB DAC.

Yanirgv

For piCorePlayer users there is now a new addon for Tidal integration after Logitech announced their ending of squeezebox servers that enabled the login verification until now. The plugin is still under development and available from within LMS plugins panel, this is the git: https://github.com/michaelherger/lms-plugin-tidal
Thank you - This is great news!
I was using pCP and enjoying it, was so bummed (but fully understand) when Logitech announcement came out.
Will give the new addon a try

soypeter

Dear fellow forum members,

I'd like to use Tidal Connect on my raspberry pi's. However, I strongly dislike repeated payments. Therefore, I don't want to wish Volumio.
A lifetime fee would be no issue, but that is not possible at the moment.

Anyone know of a free or one-time payment way to get Tidal Connect on a RP4?
Hi,
I'm using Tidal with Moode.
Firstly, enable UPnP service on Moode's renderers section.

If you are using Tidal on a android device (like me)
install the Bubble UPnP app,
there config your Tidal credentials,
and the Moode UPNP will appear as a available player.

Just use Tidal thru the Bubble app,
you got all your Tidal albums and favorites in Bubble,
and then you can cast to Moode/Rpi your music,
and without problems in my experience (a couple of years by now)
(same method works with Volumio free tier)

Hope this helps.

Raitsa

The final stop for my self-integrated Tidal Connect is on rAudio (an Arch Linux-based distribution), which provides refined audio output even when listening to low-quality music and piCorePlayer OS. I have stored two IMG build versions (for easy flashing to an SD card) here:

rAudio Tidal Connect 64 bit:

This does not work anymore since mysqueezebox com is no more in February 2024.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just pay the 60 euros per year to Volumio

Proper official Tidal Connect support

Cheap on an RPi4

Way cheaper than Bluesond N130 with USB output or Zen Stream

Raitsa

I am using the free app mconnect Player Lite and that one fills my Tidal-needs by allowing me to cast Tidal to rAudio with UPnP quite nicely.
Some pics here.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I am using the free app mconnect Player Lite and that one fills my Tidal-needs by allowing me to cast Tidal to rAudio with UPnP quite nicely.
Some pics here.

Tidal inside mconnect is like going back 10 years , in terms of user interface.

This thread is about using the official Tidal app, which is very nice these days.

Top Bottom