• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

End Game Speakers - The Quest Continues

DSJR

Major Contributor
@MKR Bottom line; While I understand you don't want to do a lot (for various reasons), I think it would be a big mistake to not do as much as possible with the acoustics in the room within whatever constraints you have. It will elevate your system from good to great regardless of which speakers and type of speakers you end up with.

I have a dedicated listening room with a decay of 200-250ms that is pretty even across the frequency range. And I have friends who also have our speakers. Their typical reaction to listening in that space is "I wish my system sounded this good", despite having the exact same speakers at home.
Maybe the thread should be 'End Game Room' rather than with speakers, as I once heard some very humble and not well measuring speakers sound AMAZING in a properly sorted room, the better performing and far more expensive models also demonstrated not so much better that you'd go 'Wow!' as would be the usual reaction.

So, it's the ROOM that's really the end game here as all else is fudging around and not getting very far :)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
That's an esay one - MBL 101 X-treme (but I'd be totally okay with 116F).
Ging back to earth, well, then maybe a pair of MartinLogan statics, current version of, say, Vista.
No traditional "box of woofers" for sure, no matter how good it is except maybe D&Ds as a second system, proper active monitor concept.
Thanks for the suggestion on the MBLs … I have heard them multiple times at shows and just never really could “get” them. For some tracks (especially large orchestral works) the effect was quite nice, but to have that omni dispersion for all types of music/recordings would actually be bothersome for me (not “real” would be the best way I could put it). But, I could see how some may like it. Actually MBL will be at show, so will be sure to check them out just out of curiosity sake. Not a fan of MLs, or any electrostatic, one trick pony (but what they do well, they do very well, no doubt about it).

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
MKR, glad to see you reopen this thread. If I remember correctly you're looking for new speakers so not opening yourself to slightly used 'boutique' models. What makes this thread fun is we can all live vicariously thru you and your 2 sons as you search out your favorite. Your list shows more than a skim of popular reviews as a couple of those brands, 1 for sure didn't even show up on google! Your qobuz link just brought me to their home page? odd
Thank you sir. I genuinely do hope this journey is helpful to everyone (even if I have to tolerate what is already some “grumpy” folks coming out of the woodwork, didn’t take long, far too predictable :facepalm:).

Try Qobuz link again, should work now

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Remind us what your current set up is? If I recall you own the electronics needed for passive but can’t remember details on what you’re currently coming from.
Exciting times for sure.

Chris

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Remind us what your current set up is? If I recall you own the electronics needed for passive but can’t remember details on what you’re currently coming from.
Exciting times for sure.

Chris
JBL 590s, Simaudio P5/W5, Wiim Pro, JDS Labs Atom + DAC

Note I have had several high end systems in my audiophile career, but due to crazy life circumstances past ~7 years (including a stint living overseas), I have been in audio wasteland and the above system has just been to get me by until the arrival of the “end game” ;) … but for the money, the above system is excellent and a lot of fun (albeit far from where it needs to be for my long term satisfaction)

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Great post. End Game is only end game until it isn't. We are humans, we will get the new stuff figured out and then long for the next experience. If you go planar, you will eventually crave dynamic drivers. Dynamic speakers will make you want to explore horns, etc.

I am enjoying the idea of your search, but also looking forward to your next one!

Cheers!
Well said, well said … I have been in this hobby long enough to know you are correct. Let’s just say “end game” for at least a few years :cool:

kma100

Forum Donor
Thank you sir. I genuinely do hope this journey is helpful to everyone (even if I have to tolerate what is already some “grumpy” folks coming out of the woodwork, didn’t take long, far too predictable :facepalm:).

Try Qobuz link again, should work now
Is this a 50-track playlist? I am going to try to replicate in Apple Music. Thanks for sharing...some artists I have never heard.

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
The more I think about this, the more I’m convinced that you’re wrong. I guess we’ll come back to this when you get to the stage cod struggling with reflections, room modes, placing those extra subs,

The number one problem most of us face, and the number one upgrade that we need and can’t do, is the room. Don’t throw throw away your opportunity to get a good one!
That’s OK, we can disagree and still be friends :) … But, maybe some misunderstanding. I never stated zero treatment and that I will not be taking appropriate basic acoustic “precautions“, been in this game for far too long to fully dismiss that aspect. But what I am telling you is my listening space will look like a living space, not a darn recording studio! It is simply not necessary with modern active DSP based designs and EQ options. But some small amount of treatment? Sure, you can’t defeat physics.

Top Bottom