• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dutch & Dutch 8c Review

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Is the 8C a pro monitor or a hifi speaker ?
Both, I am surprised Genelec haven’t made some less aesthetically challenging designs for domestic audio.

Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Who said anything about sound quality? Wasn’t my point. Rather I expected they went with Pascal due to cost, maybe there is a reliability issue, and ya get what ya pay for. Not saying that is the case at all (lower reliability), so don’t jump on me for that, just could be a link. Quality ain’t free, you pay for that. As to sound quality, the 8Cs are superb, so clear that is not an issue with the Pascal. But quality/reliability? Maybe
Purely personally a higher percentage of Hypex failure than Pascal.
Keith

Reactions: MKR

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Both, I am surprised Genelec haven’t made some less aesthetically challenging designs for domestic audio.
For such they have 6040R and G models available in black and white instead of their typical studio grey
and also the 4000 series available in a multitude of colours
Yes, their form design isn't really different because its also part of their engineering but in these colours I personally don't find them really ugly.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I remember speaking to them at the very first Munich show they attended ,my suggestion they made a ‘domestic’ loudspeaker ( the domestic market being way larger ) was met with a look of incredulity.
Naively I even showed them a sketch I had made of a floorstanding ‘Genelec’.
I quite admire their sole purpose but I am also sure they could design a loudspeaker with less divisive aesthetics and not sacrifice SQ.
Keith

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I love their industrial no nonsense design
They sound as hardcore as they look
If I was married it would be a different story I guess but now I don't care about their looks

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Get engaged and ask for a pair of 8361’s as a dowry.
Keith

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is not GGNTKT also using pascal units for similar reasons ?
Answering the Pascal haters on this forum somewhere (I'm too lazy to dig up the post), GGNTKT said that they had tried other, better-measuring Class D modules but that the difference was inaudible, so they used the Pascal modules with no NCore or Purifi upgrade option.

MKR

Major Contributor
Answering the Pascal haters on this forum somewhere (I'm too lazy to dig up the post), GGNTKT said that they had tried other, better-measuring Class D modules but that the difference was inaudible, so they used the Pascal modules with no NCore or Purifi upgrade option.
I am certainly not a Pascal hater. The proof is in the pudding (8Cs are superb and from what I have read, GGNTKT are also excellent), rather my prior query was genuine and I am agnostic, only I want the best AUDIBLE performance … so again, why would some manufacturers choose Pascal over the others? As had already been mentioned, seems Pascal may be lower cost, and maybe higher reliability (though no hard data to support either of those that I have seen, pure conjecture)

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am certainly not a Pascal hater. The proof is in the pudding (8Cs are superb and from what I have read, GGNTKT are also excellent), rather my prior query was genuine and I am agnostic, only I want the best AUDIBLE performance … so again, why would some manufacturers choose Pascal over the others? As had already been mentioned, seems Pascal may be lower cost, and maybe higher reliability (though no hard data to support either of those that I have seen, pure conjecture)
I didn't say you were a Pascal hater, although they have been among us since the Jeff Rowland amp with Pascal models was reviewed on ASR...

MKR

Major Contributor
I didn't say you were a Pascal hater, although they have been among us since the Jeff Rowland amp with Pascal models was reviewed on ASR...
I know, just wanted to make sure clear in case others were getting ready to show up at my door with pitchforks and torches :p

dfuller

Major Contributor
Seems Pascal may be lower cost, and maybe higher reliability (though no hard data to support either of those that I have seen, pure conjecture)
Yeah, pretty much both of these. I don't have hard data, so my apologies on that, but ICEPower and Pascal are generally regarded as more reliable and certainly "good enough" vs Hypex, which is not super common (and the brands that do use Hypex, like Barefoot, seem to have increased failure rates from amps).

nastypoker

I received mine and fitted it yesterday. It was a full panel so I needed to swap one board (the one with the comms) from my panel to the replacement one. It appears to be working fine now.
I am waiting for a response from D&D on whether I can buy another amp from them to keep as a spare.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received mine and fitted it yesterday. It was a full panel so I needed to swap one board (the one with the comms) from my panel to the replacement one. It appears to be working find now.
I am waiting for a response from D&D on whether I can buy another amp from them to keep as a spare.
Good experience dealing with D&D support?

Are you able to disclose the cost? If not, no problem, of course.

Top Bottom