• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Desktop Audio Setup?

just1n

Forum Donor
I just admire you guys can keep the desks so neat and clean. Mine is always a mess so no pictures....
That’s only because I moved all my papers. Keyboard, and mouse for the office tomorrow. Definitely not an accurate representation ha

unpluggged

mkt

I just admire you guys can keep the desks so neat and clean. Mine is always a mess so no pictures....
New category. Messiest desks. Pretty sure a fork + excessive number of tabs is an unbeatable combo
IMG_2652.jpg

mkt

Smitty2k1

I didn't really think mine was all that clean but if I leave too much stuff laying around my 3yo takes an interest in it, so I try to stay tidy/minimalist.

just1n

Forum Donor
But it worth it.
Is it though? I’m trying to decide how to fill out the bottom end. I’m worried about physical vibrations and size. I say that because I have a 3000 micro in the living room. Don’t think I can go back to a a single woofer sub again.

unpluggged

Is it though? I’m trying to decide how to fill out the bottom end.
I was referring to its DSP capabilities. The KH 750 DSP in combination with the MA 1 alignment kit is the best way to get a well-integrated, phase-corrected and room-corrected full-range nearfield monitoring setup for your Neumann speakers, especially analog ones. I don't think you'd need a much more powerful subwoofer for this purpose. You just need to be aware that the KH 750 DSP is not supposed to be used for high SPLs or as a cinema LFE sub.

Dreamslayer

PC - optical to Monolith 788 to SVS sub, high pass back to Emotiva A100 to KEF LS50
I use VMODA M100s, but really just for gaming.

View attachment 57835View attachment 57836View attachment 57860
Over due for an update - I built a new desk and upgraded the speakers. I'm also running a WiiM streamer and a Modi2 Multibit

I also did something I've wanted to do for a long time: I got an optical (input) to USB adapter and I run the optical output from the WiiM directly into my PC and mix it with my PC audio - this way I can easily listen to anything on my phone or stream anything while using the PC and PC audio. I stream the coax out on the WiiM to the Modi2 in case I want a "pure" connection. I have not seen anyone else do this but it's transformative.

Here is the updated setup:
Desk - Dorothy.jpg

Attachments

• Desk top view.jpg
    Desk top view.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

nerdemoji

IMG_4082.jpeg
there are so many things that make my setup laughable…

Somafunk

Major Contributor
I like the way you’re rearing your cables free range, a person with more important things on his mind.

nerdemoji

I like the way you’re rearing your cables free range, a person with more important things on his mind.
Oh, the detail in this image is so characterizing:
Using the styrofoam packing material for the speakers as the stands because I dont want to buy anything at the moment.
The absolute mess of cables
the almost insane budget charts written on graph paper torn out of a spiral notebook (just out of frame, there is a stack of AP Physics packets, too lol)
IMG_4083.jpeg

also not visible in the photo, there is AC cord is very taut from the dac/amp to the outlet (it was just perfectly fine length wise)

the ruler with a bunch of random things on it made from PCB material
the SMSL warranty card (you cant read it from the glare in the photo but it is there)
the random dollar bill that i forgot to put away
part of a disassembled bed frame under the desk, that I unconsciously fidget with my feet (there are lots of other things under the desk as well)
the lego separator left over from my dad's lego project on this desk

in conclusion, yeah there a lot of random things going through my mind. a few weeks ago, there were papers everywhere lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4084.jpeg
    IMG_4084.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 40

EasyC

Forum Donor
Here's my desktop - changed a lot the last few months since I started reading on ASR...
Monitors went from KRK G4 to Kali's In-5 to Genelecs 8030. With the 7050 sub it's a really great hifi and monitoring system, and I can listen to music for hours here...
Interface is a Motu M4, Sound coming from a MacStudio (under desk) through Sonarworks (limited to 1KHz) via SoundSource. It's a small room, so I did some treatments with bass traps and panels.
Everything's on an Oakywood desk with a shelf I made myself.

Attachments

• SetUp - 1.jpeg
    SetUp - 1.jpeg
    366 KB · Views: 123
  • SetUp - 3.jpeg
    SetUp - 3.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 126

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally got around to updating my home office setup. Trusty audio components stay the same: mainstay Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro (but I rotate others in), JDS Labs Element III as DAC+Headphone amp, and old AudioEngine A2.
Main reason to reconfigure was to get the 4K capable KVM switch from IOgear in, to make switching between work and personal computers a one button experience.
And yes, the A2 is perfectly enjoyable to me in this setup - if there's anything else in that compact form factor, let me know. :)
0 updated setup.png

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My preference for desktop listening is headphones, the HD650 in particular. 25 years ago there was very little mention of setting up speakers on the desktop, but it's popular today. I suspect this is due to a change in lifestyles where lots of people are glued to their computers. Sometimes I take my laptop over to the couch in front of my main audio system...

jhwalker

Finally got around to updating my home office setup. Trusty audio components stay the same: mainstay Beyerdynamic DT1990Pro (but I rotate others in), JDS Labs Element III as DAC+Headphone amp, and old AudioEngine A2.
Main reason to reconfigure was to get the 4K capable KVM switch from IOgear in, to make switching between work and personal computers a one button experience.
And yes, the A2 is perfectly enjoyable to me in this setup - if there's anything else in that compact form factor, let me know. :)
View attachment 348980
Very nice! I need to modernize my home office - "inherited" a HUGE solid oak desk which is REALLY not suited as a modern workstation, so it's all a bit makeshift ATM.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My preference for desktop listening is headphones, the HD650 in particular. 25 years ago there was very little mention of setting up speakers on the desktop, but it's popular today. I suspect this is due to a change in lifestyles where lots of people are glued to their computers. Sometimes I take my laptop over to the couch in front of my main audio system...
Absolutely agree - I tend to listen using headphones myself.

The AudioEngines above provide a neat sound, though - not sure if you can see they are angled in and point up some... thus projecting a neat little stage with classical and jazz.

jhwalker

That's why I haven't really taken the time / effort / investment to update my home office yet - I'm actually much more likely just to use my personal laptop in the living room in front of the main system and "remote" to my work laptop in the office ;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@pablolie it's easier for me to do serious photo editing when it's quiet. Maybe pretty soon I will be forgetting important dates. Then I could run for Congress.

Top Bottom