• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do humans like jazz?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's probably a graph somewhere on the internet that shows the relation between getting older and liking jazz.

When I was young I truly hated it. As I get older I only despise it now. Give me a few years and I'll begin to like it.
Well I'm 69, and except for jazz infusions into breakbeat hardcore and trip-hop, I can take it or leave it. Never liked blues much, either. I think I missed a bunch of Old Man memos :p

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Some people make quite a to-do over the jazz-esque hallmarks of some of the Grateful Dead's oeuvre.
One should draw one's own conclusions. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people make quite a to-do over the jazz-esque hallmarks of some of the Grateful Dead's oeuvre.
One should draw one's own conclusions. ;)
Jazz has been known to be drug and/or alcohol music. Not that the Dead ever did any of that...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't, but they find it entertaining.

By the way, were the heck the myth that Jazz is the vanguard of music searching for new chords, exploring dissonances and so forth came from? Pure ignorance?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't, but they find it entertaining.

By the way, were the heck the myth that Jazz is the vanguard of music searching for new chords, exploring dissonances and so forth came from? Pure ignorance?
Depends on the jazz. My jazz musician friends went down some strange rabbit holes. I doubt many normal people would get it.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Works with patents too. Take a real-world thing - say, the chain you might have on your front door you slide to lock/unlock - quickly knock up a software version and voila - you've got yourself 20 years legal protection at tax payer's expense. Gotta protect all that unique, hard-won, think-outside-of-the-box originality, right?

eg:
Wow! I have a lot of trouble with the idea that a movement of your finger on a screen is patentable.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I'm 69, and except for jazz infusions into breakbeat hardcore and trip-hop, I can take it or leave it. Never liked blues much, either. I think I missed a bunch of Old Man memos :p
I'm 66 & have liked most music ever since I can remember. Singing is another story: I like much of it, but there is some I definitely don't like (Opera would be one). It just sounds like screaming to me (even when I know what the words are).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm 66 & have liked most music ever since I can remember. Singing is another story: I like much of it, but there is some I definitely don't like (Opera would be one). It just sounds like screaming to me (even when I know what the words are).
The only opera I liked was in Bugs Bunny cartoons. Obviously I am plebeian :D

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The only opera I liked was in Bugs Bunny cartoons. Obviously I am plebeian :D
I was exposed to opera (having been born in Salzburg, Austria) before I knew what it was. I did not like it then & don't particularly like it now. Bugs Bunny & Opera were/are great. As are all the other slyly inserted classical music & adult things put put in those wonderful cartoons that I have many DVD's of. Those cartoons were made for children of all ages.

Last edited:

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Then it doesn't really explain the why so many liked it during its heyday and fewer now.

Jazz has so many subgenres that I am unsure how to compare. Is big band music jazz? Free form jazz is certainly not my cup of tea, but big band music from its heyday and modern compositions for big bands are great. I had quite a few Sonny Rollins and Grover Washington Jr. LPs back in the 80s that included both more traditional jazz and covers of pop tunes. I absolutely love Cal Tjader...

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a big jazz listener, but I don't really understand the question. Jazz hardly has a monopoly on dissonance of any sort, or rhythm patterns. Why do humans like any kind of music?

Top Bottom