• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do humans like jazz?

JSmith

Master Contributor
1682487281923.jpeg
... substituting man for persons, of course.

JSmith

Leeken

Always hated Jazz with a passion,then someone made me listen to Miles Davis’s Bitches Brew,sounds like jimi Hendrix doing jazz,hate all other Jazz still.
coincidentally I’ve often heard early Floyd (post Syd) referred to as free form jazz in parts,I’d have called it psychedelic but I suppose Rick Wright may have known slightly more about his own music than me?

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Melodious Thunk is one unto himself for sure... LoL.
I wish I could hit "Like" 100 times.

I'm starting the video you link to at a time where, what follows, is one of the greatest compositions in the history of music. Monk takes a simple melodic line of music and just tears it apart.

He's constantly threatening to make it unlistenable -- and yet -- YOUR brain ties it all together. This is the hallmark of a great composition. You, the listener, "complete" the music. It's pure wizardry on the part of Monk. He totally respects the listener. He's saying, "You make this music as much as I do." It's not easy to listen to, but it's so rewarding once you "get" it.

I've thought for the last 35 years that the only composer on the level of Monk is Bach. I'd give 20 years of my life to see what Bach's reaction to Monk's music would be. I'd give another 10 to hear how Bach would build on it. Monk's music is that good.

Last edited:

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't know what a Leslie is?
Yes, Hammonds (B3s in particular) and Leslies do go together.

View attachment 281445
Don Leslie was a madman in the good sense... his speakers were so in demand compared to Hammond's tone cabinets, that Laurens Hammond forbade any of their dealers from selling them - and if they did - they would lose their Hammond Organ dealership rights...

Last edited:

Marc v E

Major Contributor
There's probably a graph somewhere on the internet that shows the relation between getting older and liking jazz.

When I was young I truly hated it. As I get older I only despise it now. Give me a few years and I'll begin to like it.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
substituting man for persons, of course.

Unnecessary, man and person are synomyms. Man does not only denote a male human.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I would love to love Jazz.

What is the best way to get into it? (ignoring live events - little jazz round here)

I guess it depends where you’re coming from. If you’re mostly accustomed to 4-chord rock and pop music then something accessible would be a better start, like this perennial favourite:

If your at home with Schönberg or Ligeti then this might be more interesting:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OTOH you prefer robots? What hurt you particularly?

threni

Major Contributor
Yep, Leslie's are self contained (amp, speakers, motor drive). And, if someone knows what they are doing, they can be paired with many instruments. But, like many other things, just because you can stick them together, doesn't mean you should.
George Carlin once said something to the effect of: You can take two things that never have been stuck together before, nail them together & take them to an arts & craft show. And some schmuk will buy it.
Works with patents too. Take a real-world thing - say, the chain you might have on your front door you slide to lock/unlock - quickly knock up a software version and voila - you've got yourself 20 years legal protection at tax payer's expense. Gotta protect all that unique, hard-won, think-outside-of-the-box originality, right?

eg:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would love to love Jazz.

What is the best way to get into it? (ignoring live events - little jazz round here)
There are so many sub categories of jazz. My favourite is fusion.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There's probably a graph somewhere on the internet that shows the relation between getting older and liking jazz.

When I was young I truly hated it. As I get older I only despise it now. Give me a few years and I'll begin to like it.
Does your thesis thus further suggest a correlation between jazz and golf?

:cool:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Guitars on The Doobie Brothers' Another Park Another Sunday were also run through Leslies to get that phase-y sound.

I would assume that now, such an effect would be accomplished via a "Leslie plug-in" in a DAW.

One of my favorite Doobie siblings' songs (apropos of almost nothing). ;)
I hadn't noticed it in this song, so I'll have to listen closely.
I was keenly aware, even way back when, of the phasey sound in their first (AFAIK) hit, Listen to the Music -- which sounded like, and which I assume -- was achieved by flanging. :)
As you say, there's probably a "flange" app now. :cool::facepalm:
I cannot picture recording engineers putting their fingers on HDD platters... ;)

Tape-Flanging-demonstration.jpg

Top Bottom