• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do humans like jazz?

OP
Wicky

Wicky

Because jazz includes classical and other genres that make for some interesting tunes and variety. Jazz spells USA in my opinion. It was developed and formed there and it still hold the reigns.
All true, but this clip proposes a deeper scientific basis for the preference in some people.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think jazz went from pop status to classical jazz sort of popularity limited by the masses choice between pop and formal jazz stuff.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
May as well ask why classical and opera have fallen further out of favor?

amper42

Major Contributor
Well as at least one human I can say there is no form of music I dislike more than Jazz.

I'm a jazz fanatic. Love Jazz from Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, bebop, blues, swing and even Fusion. However, I never acquired a taste for free form, avant garde Jazz. My wife on the other hand never enjoyed it. Her most common question is "why are there so many notes?" :facepalm:o_O:D

If your favorite musician is the Boss or hard rock and your musical training is mostly made of attending rock concerts then Jazz may be a foreign dish. But as someone who has studied jazz recordings, spent thousands of hours practicing jazz improvisation patterns and loved listening to performers pulling tremendous solos out of the air, I can say - Jazz is as much mental gymnastics as a wonderful intelligent musical style. It takes a great ear, intuition, heart, soul and practicing day and night until the music just clicks. And a few musicians can take it to an unbelievable satisfying listening session where I am simply blown away with the alternate melodic passages of powerfully gifted performers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom