• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The REAL Problem of March Audio's Sointuva WG (Review, Measurements and Reinforcements with Klippel device)

GNK

Seeing as my Sointuva's are currently in production and I was concerned, I asked March Audio about the problems suggested by this thread. I got this response. I just included the relevant information. (See BOTH quote boxes!)

Insane.
If someone with professional gears and lots of loudspeaker measurement experience like Nuyes is "incompetent to make these assessments claims", who on earth is competent?
He presented every detailed steps and data to find and correct problems.
IF you want to blame somebody that every problem was caused by him/herself, at least you need to propose convincing reasons to justify that assumption.

Last edited:

concorde1

Here is an updated response from March Audio, along with quotes from Purifi

Firstly, yes we made an error with not sealing the binding posts. That was a QC error which has now been addressed in manufacturing procedures. We normally apply sealant. We didn't pick it up on the post manufacture test for that particular pair due to us using very tight fitting banana plugs which seal the hole. Please note I gave the customer significant compensation for his time to fix the problem and seal the posts himself. Our mistake and error for which I apologised.

The rest of it, however is nonsense.

The customer initially claimed and concluded from his measurements that there was a faulty passive radiator. Incorrect. The 380 Hz distortion blip is caused by a fundamental resonance of the woofer frame and magnet assembly. It will be seen in *ALL* designs.

Please look at these plots of Amirs previous purifi speaker tests.

index.png

index2.png
index3.png

Exactly the same issue.

Further more I have had discussions with both Lars Risbo and Bruno Putzeys from Purifi regarding it. They acknowledge the issue and together we have worked out a solution regarding the driver mounting that I am waiting for them to implement in manufacture.

In the meantime we have implemented a mitigation, not an elimination, but a significant reduction. You will note that that one of the pair of this customers speakers didn't have a high distortion blip at 380hz. The reason for this is because it was the speaker he had *not* been disassembled. By disassembling the customer messed up the torque values of the woofer mounting bolts (threadlocked btw) on the speaker with the subsequently higher distortion. Hint, the driver resonance couples into the cabinet.

He has a complete lack of understanding of vibration and speaker design. His test where he thinks he proved there is no driver resonance is completely flawed. He sits the speaker on the cabinet. The driver needs to be *stiffly* mounted by its frame, not sat on the heavy magnet to perform this test. The resonance is set up by the specific spring , mass and stiffness of the overall assembly. The magnet must be hanging from the frame not damped by being sat on a surface.

All rubber mounts were fitted. He obviously lost one during his disassembly. It would have been impossible to tighten that particular driver bolt without it fitted. The bolt would have flopped around loose and fallen out without it. We didn’t miss that in production.

Secondly further sealing is not required with these well nuts as the nut pulls into the hole and squeezes the rubber out completely blocking the hole. He also refitted the rubber well nuts incorrectly as their flange should sit inside the hole in this design. If not the flange will be proud of the surface and cause potential air leaks, which I also suspect he created by his incorrect fitment.

There is no air leak around the rubber mounting well nuts or indeed the tweeter. This can be demonstrated quite simply by depressing the woofer. The passive radiators will push out as you have compressed the air in the cabinet. If there is a leak the passive radiators will slowly return to their rest position. They dont. They stay pushed out.

The wiring had been disturbed by the customers disassembly. At manufacture it is tucked securely behind the damping material into the cabinet corners. The guy has pulled it out.

Fundamentally this customer is incompetent to make these assessments claims and caused problems by his disassembly of the speaker. He appears to be a “fiddler/tweaker” who thinks he understands whats going on.

For info, a snip from a conversation with Lars Risbo at Purifi regarding the driver resonance.

Hi Alan,

Mounting: good catch. Yes, the basket and magnet forms a hi Q oscillator when the basket is grounded hard. We should all mount drivers by their motors but that is cumbersome. I have been thinking about using some rubber grommets that decouple the screws mechanically from the basket.

Cheers,

Lars

Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 2:03 PM
To: Lars Risbo <[email protected]>
Cc: Claus Neesgaard <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: New order

Hi

So what we have found regarding the 350hz distortion blip is its presence is related to the driver coupling to the cabinet. A very tight stiff coupling and you get a high Q peak, softer gasket and looser and it widens and reduces. We are still assessing the optimal mounting methods.

Cheers

Alan

Massimo

I find it bemusing that March Audio would criticise measurements taken by someone using a Klippel system. If I recall correctly, March Audio tests his speakers by sitting them on a tall ladder in an open field on a not so windy day :facepalm:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Can you link some screws you can recommend with MDF? I never had any luck getting screws to grip well in MDF, except when using 6mm SPAX, which is obviously not feasible for loudspeakers.
I'm using 3.5x20mm SPAX like in the pic below, which only work if you have at least 15mm of material to screw into and then you still have to be extremely careful. Of course I don't pre-drill holes. I moved on to a different, superior material anyways, but I'm still curious.

71CCX8ihfHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I can send some links. Just got back home from a heck of a day. I'll have to go out to the garage see what I have been using lately. I have used many types over the years. I have even used sheet metal screws and cheap PartsExpress wood screws with no issues.

Pre drilling is very important. Don't skip that thinking it will be tighter, not in mdf.

Don't over tighten though you can get quite a tight hold. I have actually used a drill that was set to a much higher torque than I intended and I tore the head off instead of stripping the hold the mdf/glued pre-drilled hole had. But anyway as you might already know over tightening does not help anything and could distort the frame or transfer a strong resonance to the driver frame from the cabinet.

Of course this is all quality mdf. Not super duper cheapo stuff.
I just modded the Pioneer cs22 for some whim and that stuff was ridiculously crappy material and thinner than my normal choice for a DIY cab. Still got a pretty great hold though with the wood glue reinforced pre drilled holes.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I find it bemusing that March Audio would criticise measurements taken by someone using a Klippel system. If I recall correctly, March Audio tests his speakers by sitting them on a tall ladder in an open field on a not so windy day :facepalm:
He is not doing that.
The OP has no Klipple NFS. Did you read the posts?

Last edited:

Instar

Seeing as my Sointuva's are currently in production and I was concerned, I asked March Audio about the problems suggested by this thread. I got this response. I just included the relevant information. (See BOTH quote boxes!)

To disparage this data proven using the Sophisticated measuring system is to devalue your company.

Nuyes has measured numerous speakers as well as sointuva, and counting the number of speakers measured on his hand reaches dozens.

He has excellent speaker knowledge and has the background knowledge to conduct conversations with the QC teams of most speaker manufacturers.

You should thank Nuyes for making these materials open source.

The way to increase the value of sointuva even now is to improve your speakers based on this material. shame? embarrassed? Temporary evasion does not feed sointuva.

Keith Conroy

Perhaps Alan has some points?? However he should want to talk to the gentleman who made the measurements 1st hand! To make assumptions and attack the measurement data without 1st having a conversation with the other measurement person might not be a wise move?? To miss a leak in a 5K plus speaker does not bode well for the brand. Even if that turns out to be an only problem????? That means someone missed a production step & it was not caught? Also to ship with a known resonance in the woofer frame is not good? It sound like he had developed a partial fix but it sounds like a ban aid? I'm not saying there were not other issues present??

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is an updated response from March Audio, along with quotes from Purifi
This is the graph from OP that needs answering:

index.php

There is some resonance in both but one is far cleaner than the other. Why? Clearly method of construction impacts this.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Perhaps Alan has some points?? However he should want to talk to the gentleman who made the measurements 1st hand! To make assumptions and attack the measurement data without 1st having a conversation with the other measurement person might not be a wise move??
I run into this all the time. I show problem in a product and the answer from the company is I don't know what I am doing. Talking isn't going to help with that. What helps is replicating the reviewer measurement and showing different/better results. We have seen no attempt of this. Words are not going to do any good.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Folks resonances in drivers are common.

Sounds like the theory is the 2nd driver with higher resonance was screwed in over tight by the OP.
This is a potentual issue especially when the cabinets are very stiff and when the drivers have no bracing against the magnet.

In any case (not defending anyone just the facts)it is quite true that measuring the driver naked will tell zero about driver frame/magnet resonances and the fact the OP doesn't know this does indicate he is also a hobbyist like me. Though I did know that, I am sure I don't know other things.
Also variation in spec is real. Even in a pair.
I think that constructive critism must go both ways. The OP may have done a few things wrong here and may need to look again. I am seeing that as quite possible.

concorde1

This is the graph from OP that needs answering:

index.php

There is some resonance in both but one is far cleaner than the other. Why? Clearly method of construction impacts this.

From my quote:
In the meantime we have implemented a mitigation, not an elimination, but a significant reduction. You will note that that one of the pair of this customers speakers didn't have a high distortion blip at 380hz. The reason for this is because it was the speaker he had *not* been disassembled. By disassembling the customer messed up the torque values of the woofer mounting bolts (threadlocked btw) on the speaker with the subsequently higher distortion. Hint, the driver resonance couples into the cabinet.
I'm not arguing but this might answer the question.

Newman

Major Contributor
I find it bemusing that March Audio would criticise measurements taken by someone using a Klippel system. …
He is not doing that.
The OP has no Klipple NFS. Did you read the posts?
Nobody mentioned NFS, Massimo said “a Klippel system”, and the OP post #1 right at the top (did you read it?) confirms this, “I am using Klippel Distortion Analyzer 2…”.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm not arguing but this might answer the question.
His story is not consistent with what is said in OP. He had no motivation to dig into the speaker if the distortion was not there to start.

AudioKC

video is gone

Attachments

• 2FAC9E04-4A71-411B-BFFE-D496D839D378.jpeg
    2FAC9E04-4A71-411B-BFFE-D496D839D378.jpeg
    607.7 KB · Views: 374
  • FF7D212F-0B29-4628-BF5F-1E07BE1574D6.jpeg
    FF7D212F-0B29-4628-BF5F-1E07BE1574D6.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 362

Keith Conroy

I run into this all the time. I show problem in a product and the answer from the company is I don't know what I am doing. Talking isn't going to help with that. What helps is replicating the reviewer measurement and showing different/better results. We have seen no attempt of this. Words are not going to do any good.
Yes, believe me I get it and agree! I tried to take a middle of the road position on my 2nd post. I was hoping it might get back to Alan and he MIGHT RETHINK???? I agree based on his comments to date this seems unlikely. The sad fact is with his current attitude he is doing himself & the brand in! He also risks sending out more poor quality products? As I'm sure you know from working at Microsoft strict. quality control processes are so important.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Nobody mentioned NFS, Massimo said “a Klippel system”, and the OP post #1 right at the top (did you read it?) confirms this, “I am using Klippel Distortion Analyzer 2…”.
Yes, I read that he has the Klippel DA2.
You cut out only part of the post.
@Massimo referenced measuring the speakers on a tall ladder vs a Klippel system which would be an apples to apples with a NFS not a DA2.
It would be where the OP's DIY turntable comes into play.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
As I'm sure you know from working at Microsoft strict. quality control processes are so important.
Microsoft surface duo anyone :) , Windows Vista?
Not looking to get myself in trouble, Microsoft has deff had some off target products of dubious quality - along with some really excellent stuff.
It is so hard.
March Audio is a little company. I guess I don't understand the apperant (at least to me as an outsider who missed the gossip on this one) desire to kind of tank this. This speaker is so close to superb.
(Relies on overly ridiculously expensive drivers though)

Last edited:
OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I swear by all the about 80 reviews I've posted so far.
I will speak only the truth completely.

First.
I initially assumed that the cause of this problem was the passive radiator, but
I have never concluded that this is the cause.

Second.
It was not measured after disassembling the speaker, but because a problem was found after measurements and reviews were posted.

Third.
The sample that took issue with the insert nut assembly is B.

And this was the first time the front unit could be disassembled only after all analysis and measurements of Sample A had been completed.

Fourth.
The rubber mount was not lost.
All of these speakers are in their original condition, and I will be held liable if I am losing them and deceiving members with similar replacements.

The speaker's owner and I live in the same country, so if he wants to sue me, that's quite possible.

Fifth.
If, as you claim, the speaker driver was the problem, and all the speakers using that driver showed the same symptoms, the sample B I received should have been the same.
Isn't it?

Sixth.
I have proven everything about the problem I posed and its solution through measurement data.

Top Bottom