• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Luke Lemke

That's a little surprising.

The Magnius should be about 2x power through balanced vs the Magni.
Yep. But I wonder if that's the case only if you use the balanced inputs. At this moment it seems it was a bad purchase in my case, the Magni/Modi stack was good enough. I'll probably buy the Modius, test both stacks and decide which one I will sell later on. Since I live in Brazil I can sell all of these dacs and amps with a profit anyway, so financially speaking I'm fine.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish there was some Oratory or elsewhere measurements of the V2, should be a stonking headphone with EQ based on proper measurements! (Someone send one to Oratory!)

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish there was some Oratory or elsewhere measurements of the V2, should be a stonking headphone with EQ based on proper measurements! (Someone send one to Oratory!)

For my V2 I’ve been using a slightly modified EQ for v1 posted by @Maiky76

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

RHO

Major Contributor
These are now $699 in the Hifiman store.
Edit: I noticed this has already been mentioned.

stargazer713

Looking to get in on the Adorama deal. Would my WA7 with max output of 1 Watt at 32 ohms be good enough for these?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Looking to get in on the Adorama deal. Would my WA7 with max output of 1 Watt at 32 ohms be good enough for these?
Here's the required power at 64Ω according to Amir's measurements:
Screenshot_20211124-175512_Chrome Canary.jpg
That an Amp can deliver 1W @32Ω doesn't mean it can do that at 64Ω as well!
1W@32Ω=5.65Vrms, 1W@64Ω=8Vrms

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Spot on! I'd be happy using the Crinacle & Resolve measurements to create an EQ, I'd probably average their measurements together if there is a sensible compliance between them (looks like it) & then do an EQ based on that. Yeah cool, I'd be confident buying that headphone based on that.
You noticed the large channel imbalance on the Crinacle graphs? Not something I've noticed on my pair but had I seen this prior to buying it would have made me wonder about QC.

(Its there whether you look at his averaged results or all 3 runs )

1637789427179.png

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You noticed the large channel imbalance on the Crinacle graphs? Not something I've noticed on my pair but had I seen this prior to buying it would have made me wonder about QC.

(Its there whether you look at his averaged results or all 3 runs )

View attachment 167873
Yeah, there's an average of around 3dB channel imbalance from 20Hz-3kHz, and not that much better higher up the frequency range. Somewhat similar to the channel imbalance on my K702 headphones, which I didn't really notice unless looking for it, but mine do sound better with a channel matching EQ - so yeah that's not an ideal channel match for that HE6SE V2 by any stretch. I don't know what percentage of units are affected with such channel matching though.

Luke Lemke

It took me a while but I realized that I don't really like the HE-6SE V2. It lacks excitement IMO (even with EQ).

I'm considering selling these and buying the Dan Clark Aeon X open from Drop. It seems they are almost exactly the same cans as the Aeon RT Amir has reviewed. Anybody has any thoughts?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It took me a while but I realized that I don't really like the HE-6SE V2. It lacks excitement IMO (even with EQ).

I'm considering selling these and buying the Dan Clark Aeon X open from Drop. It seems they are almost exactly the same cans as the Aeon RT Amir has reviewed. Anybody has any thoughts?

They bring no more or less excitement than the HE6. You need to consider what properties of a headphone's sound constitute exciting for you and find some that have those properties.

Luke Lemke

They bring no more or less excitement than the HE6. You need to consider what properties of a headphone's sound constitute exciting for you and find some that have those properties.
I guess that's my problem, I can't really define what I mean by "excitement". I can say though that my focal clear MG is a lot more fun to listen to, but I don't know if it's all in my head. Maybe it's frequency response, spatial effects, driver positioning, etc. I think the bass of the focals are more "punchy" and it sounds more open, that much I can say.

The Aeon X costs $200-300 less as well, so it seems I'll be at least saving some money. Have you listened to both? Which one do you prefer, subjectively speaking?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess that's my problem, I can't really define what I mean by "excitement". I can say though that my focal clear MG is a lot more fun to listen to, but I don't know if it's all in my head. Maybe it's frequency response, spatial effects, driver positioning, etc. I think the bass of the focals are more "punchy" and it sounds more open, that much I can say.

The Aeon X costs $200-300 less as well, so it seems I'll be at least saving some money. Have you listened to both? Which one do you prefer, subjectively speaking?

I have the HE6 V2 and the Aeon RT Open. The Hifiman are a better headphone to my ears before and after EQ but I would struggle to tell you why.

Luke Lemke

I have the HE6 V2 and the Aeon RT Open. The Hifiman are a better headphone to my ears before and after EQ but I would struggle to tell you why.
Thanks! Which amp do you use? I'm using the Magnius right now.

Top Bottom