• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D70s MQA Review (DAC)

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Honestly curious...can you point me to a few that you are referring to?
I wish I could remember which ones were particularly representative of my statement but I have looked at so many different products over my short time here I can't remember. But I distinctly remember going through the review rankings and noticing that there were "blue" or "green" rated products that were not recommended. Investigating some of those I came across a few that measured well that were not recommended due to more of a subjective basis.

I would suggest this, though as a not as good of an answer I would like to give in support of my statement, going through the rankings and looking for products in the upper ranges that are not recommended and those on the lower that are.

I just did briefly and couldn't find some of the ones that I think are on point and didn't see them. I will continue to look for them and have made a mental note to report them as I come across them. I'm not going to ask you to "trust me, they are there" but let's just leave this question open for further consideration. I have a little more time this afternoon to search but it might be a day or a week.

And if I am remembering wrong I have absolutely no problem saying I made this all up, despite my best intentions that happens from time to time lol.

Last edited:

half_dog

Sometimes I'm REALLY happy that I can't differentiate a gear from another and hence I'm safe that I can lower my budget and still have an amazing system. BTW a funny fact, I able to tell apart 3 headphones that are the same model but from different batches (HD650 from 2017 to 2019 and it was done in blind test) and my super trained friends who can tell apart DACs can not. For them all these headphones sound the same...

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Conclusion of the SVS Ultra bookshelf

"Having looked at the measurements first before listening, I thought they would either sound good "out of the box" or do so with just a bit of EQ. That did not happen. Try as I did, I could not like the sound with or without EQ. Yes, I could see the appeal of boosted upper bass in giving "warmth" to the speaker. But too much of that was well, too much of a good thing. I am puzzled where the sharpness was coming from seeing how I could not tame it. Perhaps directivity error was causing this"

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Conclusion of the KEF Q350

"There is clear engineering effort here to produce a speaker with good objective metrics. Alas, the upper bass boost may not work for everyone and lack of control of the two resonances has a high impact on clarity and detail. Directivity control due to coaxial driver seems to create a much more of a point source which many people think they like, but was not my cup of tea.

So, reasonably good objective measurements but doesn't do it for me. I can't recommend the KEF Q350 despite its positive attributes"

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Conclusion of the SVS Ultra bookshelf

"Having looked at the measurements first before listening, I thought they would either sound good "out of the box" or do so with just a bit of EQ. That did not happen. Try as I did, I could not like the sound with or without EQ. Yes, I could see the appeal of boosted upper bass in giving "warmth" to the speaker. But too much of that was well, too much of a good thing. I am puzzled where the sharpness was coming from seeing how I could not tame it. Perhaps directivity error was causing this"

Speakers and headphones are different beasts, and I agree that there is a lot still to be learned there. I am more specifically talking about everything else. That's really why he doesn't include subjective reviews of DAC's for example...

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Speakers and headphones are different beasts, and I agree that there is a lot still to be learned there. I am more specifically talking about everything else. That's really why he doesn't include subjective reviews of DAC's for example...
I will look outside of speakers and headphones I think I remember it happening there as well but same standard disclaimer as above :)

Do you happen to know why there aren't subjective reviews of DACs? Specifically if it is presupposed that they all sound the same?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Do you happen to know why there aren't subjective reviews of DACs? Specifically if it is presupposed that they all sound the same?

Right. If they are doing their job properly, which can be well characterized by the measurements done, it will sound like every other DAC that does its job properly.

When the distortions are in the ratio of a millimeter to a kilometer, you aren't going to hear it. Beyond a threshold, further improvements may make for better measurements, but it won't sound any different.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Right. If they are doing their job properly, which can be well characterized by the measurements done, it will sound like every other DAC that does its job properly.

When the distortions are in the ratio of a millimeter to a kilometer, you aren't going to hear it. Beyond a threshold, further improvements may make for better measurements, but it won't sound any different.
I tend to agree with that supposition and I hope it's true as I just ordered an Allo Boss2.

Nick5

Don't waste your time with these people, they certainly don't know and have never heard a sound stage, timbre, stage depth and other features that a good system can deliver or highlight...

For them ignorance is a virtue within this hobby...

Thanks Rinaldi. It’s pathetic that @BDWoody is not willing to listen to other opinions/ideas….wonder how he listens to his music :)
Being a moderator and a forum donor does not give the right to bash others and belittle their opinions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Rinaldi. It’s pathetic that @BDWoody is not willing to listen to other opinions/ideas….wonder how he listens to his music :)
Being a moderator and a forum donor does not give the right to bash others and belittle their opinions.
The moderators here are as much commenting contributors here as any other member.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
It’s pathetic that @BDWoody is not willing to listen to other opinions/ideas….wonder how he listens to his music :)

Happy to hear any evidence...that I'll gladly listen to.

The music I listen to is real...as opposed to the endless stream of anecdotal nonsense that others seem to need, so they know when those veils will be lifted.

Funny how upset some folks get when you ask for evidence...

Nick5

True but he should only speak about his experience and not others and my recommendation to the moderator is not to impose personal views on others. We are all here to learn and explain unique phenomena. I haven’t see an electron, not even through a microscope, have you?? If I want to follow this analogy, I can simply say that I don’t believe in electrical measurements.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You know what they say about opinions....

EDIT- bah, someone used this one a page or so ago.

Anyway- what everyone else said.

Last edited:

Nick5

Happy to hear any evidence...that I'll gladly listen to.

The music I listen to is real...as opposed to the endless stream of anecdotal nonsense that others seem to need, so they know when those veils will be lifted.

Funny how upset some folks get when you ask for evidence...
Why do you assume I’m upset? I’m having lots of fun.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey @Doodski, it’s still hard to see and too small to even believe it exists :). Shouldn’t make a difference and still cannot be visibly seen.
BTW, how was your C pipe outing? Did you ponder over electrolytic capacitor reforming?
Oh it was you. :D I figured you would not be back so I closed the windows. Can you link me up again and I'll read them ASAP and see wot you are up to. It'll be more fresh in my mind if I do it today anyway.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey @Doodski, it’s still hard to see and too small to even believe it exists :). Shouldn’t make a difference and still cannot be visibly seen.
BTW, how was your C pipe outing? Did you ponder over electrolytic capacitor reforming?
I found your original post for the links so I'll read those now.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is also a Harvard piece. Fascinating stuff. I wonder how reliable this re-oxidation process is… :)
Yes, I agree. I think I would be more apt to just replace the dang thing rather than reforming but in some instances the original caps need to be more closely investigated and reused if possible... :D

Top Bottom