• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Which means nearly every weak because it seems there are no other mfr available!!!!!
Seems to me that many of those other manufacturers don't make an effort to reach out and have their gear tested for their reasons. I don't see the same level of engagement from many of the established brands as I see from Topping. There are currently only a handful of brands that actively engage on ASR and they're not afraid to backup their products when need be.

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yaay, another exceptionally well performing Topping product.

It does get boring though, with marginal improvements across the generations. I'd love something new. Multi channel when?

phoenixsong

Yaay, another exceptionally well performing Topping product.

It does get boring though, with marginal improvements across the generations. I'd love something new. Multi channel when?
That's something we all look forward to :) Some of the ideas so far:
1. DSP/EQ functionality
2. Multi-Channel
3. Pro-Audio with ADC and associated software/features
4. Portable DAC/amps
*5. Subwoofer support (I'm foreign to this, so am hesitant to add it in case it already exists. Do tell me if so)

Nango

Major Contributor
Seems to me that many of those other manufacturers don't make an effort to reach out and have their gear tested for their reasons. I don't see the same level of engagement from many of the established brands as I see from Topping. There are currently only a handful of brands that actively engage on ASR and they're not afraid to backup their products when need be.
And Topping releases every weak a new version of what is already in the mkt and measures .000001% better ONLY because of this site measurements.

phoenixsong

And Topping releases every weak a new version of what is already in the mkt and measures .000001% better ONLY because of this site measurements.
It's a Neoliberal society- others are free to join the game :) Also, if that is truly all they are doing I doubt the reception would be as positive as it has been. Still, as @anphex has sounded out, many of us do wish for extra features to be added alongside better measurements, device integration and further price cuts

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You are free to send some other gear in. Why aren't you? If anything Topping proves that its not hard to design competent equipment.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
*** French humour alert. *** ;)
Thanks Thomas, but if my sense of humour is not understood, I do not care a lot.

Of course @amirm is our God, but sometimes I authorize myself to be irreverent. And @amirm never took it wrong, thank God.

And behind the humor, sometimes it's not an equipment problem but just you: tired, thinking about something else and you forgot something in the process.

Or God is perfect and never fails, who knows?

phoenixsong

Oh yeah, since this is a measurements site, I have to say I have not seen 2,797,000 weeks pass or new Topping devices released, based on SINAD difference, between the D90 and D90SE measurement dates according to your claims XD

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This would be an instant buy for me if it had a 1/4" jack :(
Indeed it was a strange decision to use only a 3.5 mm jack for such a product, 6.3 mm would have been a lot better suited, or even better both imo.

Transmaniacon

This looks like a great device, I was considering the Loxjie for an all-in-one unit to drive some HD6XX but I have always been a Topping fan and this seems like a nice option. Would have liked the 1/4” connection on the front or maybe an internal power supply, but that’s probably not feasible in a package this size.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Thomas, but if my sense of humour is not understood, I do not care a lot.

Of course @amirm is our God, but sometimes I authorize myself to be irreverent. And @amirm never took it wrong, thank God.

And behind the humor, sometimes it's not an equipment problem but just you: tired, thinking about something else and you forgot something in the process.

Or God is perfect and never fails, who knows?
I undestand that this new Topping product doesn't have balanced outputs, so you feel fustrated since you would have loved to purchase it, as every other Topping balanced DAC. Luckier next time... God still doesn't have the power to change unbalanced into balanced.

martijn86

First DAC I bought due to ASR review was a D30
First DAC I bought, based on Topping reviews but before its own review launched, was the Topping MX3. I still can't believe what a horrible disappointment that was. Not even just for the numbers but the volume control is unusable.

Saeniv

I owned the Dx3 V2 but it had this annoying clicking volume knob. Does the new version still have it? @amirm

Last edited:

taisho

Forum Donor
The fire at AKM factory means we have to refresh lots of our product line. And the component shortages this year is making things worse. It's been a difficult year for many companies.
In terms of something new. I had been teasing for some time now. A new class D amp is coming with satisfactory performance.
Please combine the class D amp with something like DX3 Pro+ into a 3 in 1 device and add a switch for speakers/headphones output. After reaching the threshold of audibility and reducing the costs to a reasonable sum, multi-feature devices, and miniaturization are the only ways for significant improvement.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

The AKM fire and assorted other supply chain shortages are forcing them to revise their product lines. John Yang of Topping mentioned this a few pages back, but I have a feeling you did not read the thread and just jumped in with pointless criticism.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I would also like to see the test of using Bluetooth versus the other inputs. What do we lose in Bluetooth? How much does performance degrade? Is it going to be audible? If not, then an easy route for many is Bluetooth. Enquiring minds want to know. Amir?

Reactions: EJ3

Ismapics

Quick question, is this the same? The leds are just different I guess.
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.49.43 AM.png