• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1

Kegger

Hello, brand new to the group. Thank you for letting me join. I’ll be in the market for an AVP in the next year. Almost all of the AVP’s that I’ve looked at have sent me to this forum because of the testing and reviews done here. The one that is currently at the top of my list is the Lyngdorf MP-60 2.1 https://lyngdorf.steinwaylyngdorf.com/lyngdorf-mp-60/
Is there any way of testing this unit sometime in the future? Thanks

OP
Kegger

Kegger

Sure, buy one and send it to Amir, that's how most units for testing originate. Looks to be a nice unit, but should for that kind of money :)
I was hoping that a unit gets tested before I spend that much money. I’m not only looking for an AVP to run a 9.2.4 ATMOS setup, but I play a ton of music and I want the best music-sounding AVP. It would be a crushing disappointment if I bought the MP-60 2.1 only to find out it scores terribly in the areas that mean the most to me.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was hoping that a unit gets tested before I spend that much money. I’m not only looking for an AVP to run a 9.2.4 ATMOS setup, but I play a ton of music and I want the best music-sounding AVP. It would be a crushing disappointment if I bought the MP-60 2.1 only to find out it scores terribly in the areas that mean the most to me.
Likely not going to happen soon, so either temper your expectations or buy from a vendor who has a decent return policy. If it were able to be tested what measurements would confirm its the best "music-sounding" AVP?

OP
Kegger

Kegger

Likely not going to happen soon, so either temper your expectations or buy from a vendor who has a decent return policy. If it were able to be tested what measurements would confirm its the best "music-sounding" AVP?
The DAC in the Lyngdorf is a good starting point. But if it has poor SINAD and jitter, plus a dynamic range that is low, those things will push me towards a different AVP.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It should be good enough to be transparent as a preamp - decent company and I doubt any measurements would reveal it can’t make good music. I would focus on the feature set and processing as that’s what you’re paying for, and it will have a much bigger impact on your listening experience than noise and distortion.

OP
Kegger

Kegger

It should be good enough to be transparent as a preamp - decent company and I doubt any measurements would reveal it can’t make good music. I would focus on the feature set and processing as that’s what you’re paying for, and it will have a much bigger impact on your listening experience than noise and distortion.
Thank you. Am I putting too much of a priority on the measurements done here? One of the reasons I’m leaning towards the Lyngdorf is because RoomPerfect is almost as good as the Trinnov’s room correction. But RoomPerfect is supposedly more user-friendly for end-users that aren’t a professional calibrator.

ankurg

The mp-50 has some measurements in this avsforum thread which may be indicative:

There are more measurements on other pages (see p. 86) if I remember right at diff voltages.

I have a non 2.1 mp-60. It's great. I hadn't really considered sending to Amir as I hadnt wanted to spend on shipping or hassle but could think about it if it would help but would want to schedule in a way that limits how long I am without it and have to think if I want to disconnect it all.

Last edited:

exm

I just received my MP-60 2.1 and I considered for a second to sent it in, but I couldn’t help myself and hook it up. My previous unit was a Marantz AV8805 and the difference is significant, especially after running RP. What I really noticed was the integration of my 2 stereo subwoofers. You mention that RP is almost as good as Trinnov’s RC. Here’s my take: with Trinnov you need a professional installer to get optimal results. RP is a great DYI solution. So if you have your HT professionally installed, the Trinnov makes sense. For a HT DIY you can’t beat RP.

Finally, I always enjoy reading reviews here but I certainly wouldn’t let that be my deciding factor. If you need anything else, let me know.

OP
Kegger

Kegger

The mp-50 has some measurements in this avsforum thread which may be indicative:

There are more measurements on other pages (see p. 86) if I remember right at diff voltages.

I have a non 2.1 mp-60. It's great. I hadn't really considered sending to Amir as I hadnt wanted to spend on shipping or hassle but could think about it if it would help but would want to schedule in a way that limits how long I am without it and have to think if I want to disconnect it all.
Thanks, some good information on the MP-50 which should give an indication on how the MP-60 2.1 should perform.

OP
Kegger

Kegger

I just received my MP-60 2.1 and I considered for a second to sent it in, but I couldn’t help myself and hook it up. My previous unit was a Marantz AV8805 and the difference is significant, especially after running RP. What I really noticed was the integration of my 2 stereo subwoofers. You mention that RP is almost as good as Trinnov’s RC. Here’s my take: with Trinnov you need a professional installer to get optimal results. RP is a great DYI solution. So if you have your HT professionally installed, the Trinnov makes sense. For a HT DIY you can’t beat RP.

Finally, I always enjoy reading reviews here but I certainly wouldn’t let that be my deciding factor. If you need anything else, let me know.
Thanks for the feedback. The way you described the difference in room correction is what I’ve been told as well. What does the rest of your audio setup look like? Glad you are happy with the Lyngdorf.

Golfx

Forum Donor
I too was looking at the MP-60 2.1 or the trinnov. I also thought the room EQ differences might be a deal breaker. But now I’ve decided to wait for trinnov to add 2.1 and will buy trinnov instead. The two main points swaying me to trinnov were 1) because their build is computer based they can diagnose/fix/calibrate by remote access; and 2) the trinnov’s room EQ allows for “reprogramming” the locations of installed speaker locations to better suit the ideal locations. My current locations are higher mounted to avoid an excessive and seemingly inexhaustible supply of todler size grandchildren.

exm

Thanks for the feedback. The way you described the difference in room correction is what I’ve been told as well. What does the rest of your audio setup look like? Glad you are happy with the Lyngdorf.

I am very happy with it. Haven’t heard the Trinnov so can’t compare there but this unit is definitely better than the Marantz and the Lexicon MC1 I used to own.

I have a Parasound A51 amp for floors, Marantz MM8807 for heights, Kef R11, Reference 2C, R3 for floors and various Q50A/T101 for heights (5.2.8). PWS4000 dual subs and a KC62 on the way.

OP
Kegger

Kegger

I am very happy with it. Haven’t heard the Trinnov so can’t compare there but this unit is definitely better than the Marantz and the Lexicon MC1 I used to own.

I have a Parasound A51 amp for floors, Marantz MM8807 for heights, Kef R11, Reference 2C, R3 for floors and various Q50A/T101 for heights (5.2.8). PWS4000 dual subs and a KC62 on the way.
Nice setup! I keep hearing good things about Parasound amps. I’m pretty set on the Anthem STR to power my L&R someday, but I’m still considering options for a great 7 channel for the remaining ground-level speakers, and a 5 channel for the ATMOS.

OP
Kegger

Kegger

I too was looking at the MP-60 2.1 or the trinnov. I also thought the room EQ differences might be a deal breaker. But now I’ve decided to wait for trinnov to add 2.1 and will buy trinnov instead. The two main points swaying me to trinnov were 1) because their build is computer based they can diagnose/fix/calibrate by remote access; and 2) the trinnov’s room EQ allows for “reprogramming” the locations of installed speaker locations to better suit the ideal locations. My current locations are higher mounted to avoid an excessive and seemingly inexhaustible supply of todler size grandchildren.
You’re mentioning a couple of features that the Trinnov does, that no other does. Those are the two features that are keeping the A16 as a contender for me. The only thing I don’t like is the usability of their room correction for a total novice like me. I get bored easily and I’ll definitely end up trying to calibrate it myself after a professional technician calibrates it. Just being honest. Everyone says the Lyngdorf is pretty much dummy-proof, so I think I’ll be ok there.

exm

Nice setup! I keep hearing good things about Parasound amps. I’m pretty set on the Anthem STR to power my L&R someday, but I’m still considering options for a great 7 channel for the remaining ground-level speakers, and a 5 channel for the ATMOS.

I love the Parasound, but the Anthem should be great also. I also noticed your other reply: if you are a “novice” aka DIY, I highly recommend RP. The Trinnov platform is very good, but I think it can be overwhelming. Hey, even the Lyngdorf has a ton of options I am still unsure of. But RP is great and so easy to setup.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note that Storm Audio will also be doing #2 as well (Should be released later this year) They will also remote into your pc via teamviewer (I believe that is the tool they use) to work remotely as well. I had a Trinnov on order but flipped to a Stormaudio MK2 instead. They are both outstanding choices but installer multiple zones and getting Dirac room correction in all of your mono/stereo zones was a big one for me. Also DLBC works really well and is really easy for sub/bass integration.

Golfx

Forum Donor
You’re mentioning a couple of features that the Trinnov does, that no other does. Those are the two features that are keeping the A16 as a contender for me. The only thing I don’t like is the usability of their room correction for a total novice like me. I get bored easily and I’ll definitely end up trying to calibrate it myself after a professional technician calibrates it. Just being honest. Everyone says the Lyngdorf is pretty much dummy-proof, so I think I’ll be ok there.
Ah but you’re forgetting the remote calibration. If you mess it up your dealer can fix it for you-by remote. Besides if they can learn how to use it, so can you overtime.

Top Bottom