• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Merus MA12070 Amplifier Sabaj A20 fully balanced : pictures inside )

Toku

Major Contributor
That's amazing news Toku! I'm still waiting for a power supply to be sent to me to swap in, but I'm all the more excited now.
Could you please report on how hard it was to change the PSU once you've done it. I'd really like to know if you would have to screw both ends of the amp open in order to get access.
There was a formal response from Sabaj regarding A20a.

Many A20a on the market are already improved versions.
But when you buy it, you should check with the store.

It is said that replacement parts will be supplied for sold products if requested.

Toku

Major Contributor
About the size of the DC15V jack
I used to say that the size of this jack was 5.5mm / 2.1mm, but when I checked it again with the actual plug, it was 5.5mm / 2.5mm. very sorry. I will correct it.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Late 02-08-2021 i ordered mine (Denmark). When did you and have you recieved one ?

Last edited:

DACslut

amazon. de (when you choose eu from hifi-express it's amazon.de) say 11 days to 4 weeks (earlier this month it said 15 of august and a few day's mabye 1 week later, where possible to get the amp)

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Balanced...d=1&keywords=sabaj+a20a&qid=1628077622&sr=8-1

The mailman just delivered mine this morning from HiFi-Express via Amazon logistics. I won't be able to evaluate it for a few days. Is there some way to visually determine if it's the revised version?

Moosi

Is there some way to visually determine if it's the revised version?
No. Play some track having mainly deep bass and little to no tweeter sounds (vocals, tromphets) so that you can actually hear through it and turn the volume up. If you can pass -24db without hearing ticking noises from within the case you should be fine. However, I don't think Hifi-Express would still sell the old ones. This shop is in direct contact with the manufacturers, I fact, in believe they are a subsidiary of the manufacturers or at least closely affiliated.

Toku

Major Contributor
The mailman just delivered mine this morning from HiFi-Express via Amazon logistics. I won't be able to evaluate it for a few days. Is there some way to visually determine if it's the revised version?
Sabaj has told me that all A20a sold by HiFi-Express are improved versions. So you can rest assured.

SeriousSam70

About the size of the DC15V jack
I used to say that the size of this jack was 5.5mm / 2.1mm, but when I checked it again with the actual plug, it was 5.5mm / 2.5mm. very sorry. I will correct it.
No problem ! :)
Thank you very much !

6th0

I received the A20a a couple of days ago to replace a DA-9 with some wild DC offsets. I have both right now and have been switching them back and forth. The A20a sounds a bit muddier versus the DA-9 that I've been using over the last two weeks. Maybe it just needs 2 weeks of burn-in, but I didn't notice that with the DA-9 when I first got it.

The DA-9 over optical is completely silent at its highest volume. The A20a definitely has a high pitched whine starting at about -8 and very loud at 0. Power supply noise? Is this normal or a bad unit?

I will keep playing the A20a for a week and see if it opens up, but so far I'm not blown away...

milan616

Forum Donor
The A20a definitely has a high pitched whine starting at about -8 and very loud at 0. Power supply noise? Is this normal or a bad unit?

I only ever compared mine to my SMSL SA300, and my A20a was slightly cleaner with of course much more power on tap. I had previously been using each over RCA from my Scarlett Solo, which had a relatively high noise floor. White noise starting at around -20 on the A20a. Never heard a high pitch whine on it though. I've since switched to a Topping D10 Balanced and it's dead silent to 0. The whine might be coming from your source.

6th0

The whine might be coming from your source.

I have disconnected them both from the source. Same result.

Re: D10 Balanced, I was considering this but didn't see a way of putting in my L30 headphone amp into the mix without a preamp in between. Do you use headphones, too? If so, what is your solution?

milan616

Forum Donor
I have an SDAC+O2 for headphones. I find it easier to have separate DACs so I can use Equalizer APO for EQ in Windows since changing output devices quick and easy.

6th0

I have an SDAC+O2 for headphones. I find it easier to have separate DACs so I can use Equalizer APO for EQ in Windows since changing output devices quick and easy.

Are you using USB to SDAC+02 and optical to D10 Balance/A20a, using the sound settings in the corner of the Windows taskbar to switch between playback?

Toku

Major Contributor
I received the A20a a couple of days ago to replace a DA-9 with some wild DC offsets. I have both right now and have been switching them back and forth. The A20a sounds a bit muddier versus the DA-9 that I've been using over the last two weeks. Maybe it just needs 2 weeks of burn-in, but I didn't notice that with the DA-9 when I first got it.

The DA-9 over optical is completely silent at its highest volume. The A20a definitely has a high pitched whine starting at about -8 and very loud at 0. Power supply noise? Is this normal or a bad unit?

I will keep playing the A20a for a week and see if it opens up, but so far I'm not blown away...
I read your post and checked my A20a immediately.
At the time of checking, D10s and D10 Balanced are connected to the XLR input and RCA input of A20a, respectively.

With XLR input, it is very quiet up to volume level -10, but after that the noise gradually increases. However, the noise level is such that you cannot hear it unless you bring your ears close to the speaker unit. The noise you hear is like normal white noise.

The RCA input is noisier at the -30 level than the XLR input -00. If you raise the volume level further, the noise level will also rise. If you raise it to -10, you can check the noise without bringing your ears close to the speaker unit. It is noisier than cheap Chinese digital amplifiers. At -00, you can check the noise even if you are 1m away.

Furthermore, I removed the RCA input cable and checked it, but a high frequency sound was added to the noise so far, and when the volume is -00, this high frequency sound can be heard even if it is more than 2 m away.
My guess is that this high frequency sound is a leak of power supply switching noise.

The noise of the A20a is the highest level of noise I have ever experienced. However, I think that there is no problem in practical use up to -20. However, this symptom is not good for both users and manufacturers, so I want you to improve it immediately.

"postscript"
I switched the connection cable to the SMSL AO200 and did a similar test, but the AO200 did not show any of these symptoms.
I raised the volume level to 70 of MAX for both XLR / RCA, but only minute noise. You cannot check it unless you attach your ears to the speaker unit.

Last edited:

milan616

Forum Donor
Are you using USB to SDAC+02 and optical to D10 Balance/A20a, using the sound settings in the corner of the Windows taskbar to switch between playback?

Nope, both on USB! I use Ear Trumpet for way better windows mixer control of apps, as well as the right click being nearly as convenient to switch devices as regular Windows.

6th0

Nope, both on USB! I use Ear Trumpet for way better windows mixer control of apps, as well as the right click being nearly as convenient to switch devices as regular Windows.

Boom, downloaded! SO much better than the Windows mixer. Thank you for the tip!

6th0

I read your post and checked my A20a immediately.

The noise of the A20a is the highest level of noise I have ever experienced. However, I think that there is no problem in practical use up to -20. However, this symptom is not good for both users and manufacturers, so I want you to improve it immediately.

"postscript"
I switched the connection cable to the SMSL AO200 and did a similar test, but the AO200 did not show any of these symptoms.
I raised the volume level to 70 of MAX for both XLR / RCA, but only minute noise. You cannot check it unless you attach your ears to the speaker unit.

Hi Toku, thank you for checking on this. Do you think it is worthwhile to send back the A20a and swap it out with the AO200? Are there any differences in sound between the DA-9, A20a, and AO200?

Thanks again for all your help and observations!

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi Toku, thank you for checking on this. Do you think it is worthwhile to send back the A20a and swap it out with the AO200? Are there any differences in sound between the DA-9, A20a, and AO200?

Thanks again for all your help and observations!
Hello,
I have already reported this symptom to Sabaj.

I think that the sound quality of DA-9, AO200, A20a is almost the same. I don't say much because the evaluation of sound quality is completely different for each individual.
The DA-9 has not been repurchased as it has not clearly confirmed subsequent improvements in offset voltage and pop noise issues.
I recommend AO200 if you can return or exchange it. However, if the A20a is not used as a power amplifier with the maximum volume level, I think that there is no problem in daily use.

Moosi

Very interesting. I just recently swapped my RCA cable connecting Topping E30 with A20a with a more higher grade one that was also shorter. Now I am using a quad shielded cable from WBA, having japan made Canare wires with Amphenol plugs. This one but half the lenght: Link to amazon

Quad-shielded RCA to Sabaj A20a:
  • -20db = ear to speaker = Nothing
  • -15db = ear to speaker = Very minimal noise starting to emerge, barely hearable
  • -10db = ear to speaker = Intensifies, but still minimal
  • -05db = ear to speaker = Now this is noise I would say, but still only hearable if you put your ear to it.
No whining/high frequency noises whatsoever. I am still using the old Sabaj A20a with the active relay though. Maybe the PSU got noisier by changing it. Someone would have to buy a Topping E30 with the same cable that I bought in order to compare with the new A20a. :p

edit: No, wait a second. Since my Topping E30 is being fed by the A20a 15v back port via 5v-converter, that would influence the noisefloor too I suppose.

Last edited:

gasolin75

Old or new amp ?

gasolin75

Very interesting. I just recently swapped my RCA cable connecting Topping E30 with A20a with a more higher grade one that was also shorter. Now I am using a quad shielded cable from WBA, having japan made Canare wires with Amphenol plugs. This one but half the lenght: Link to amazon

Quad-shielded RCA to Sabaj A20a:
  • -20db = ear to speaker = Nothing
  • -15db = ear to speaker = Very minimal noise starting to emerge, barely hearable
  • -10db = ear to speaker = Intensifies, but still minimal
  • -05db = ear to speaker = Now this is noise I would say, but still only hearable if you put your ear to it.
No whining/high frequency noises whatsoever. I am still using the old Sabaj A20a with the active relay though. Maybe the PSU got noisier by changing it. Someone would have to buy a Topping E30 with the same cable that I bought in order to compare with the new A20a. :p

edit: No, wait a second. Since my Topping E30 is being fed by the A20a 15v back port via 5v-converter, that would influence the noisefloor too I suppose.

What cable ?

Top Bottom