• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dual Merus MA12070 Amplifier Sabaj A20 fully balanced : pictures inside )

Moosi

I have the strong feeling that the A20a has a long break in period of about 1 week of playtime or something. It just sounds a lot better than yesterday. The soundstage really opened up. I'm really amazed by it. It may be the KEF Q150 speakers, since they are known for having a very long breakin period and Im running them for nearly 6 month. Im not sure. I need some confirmation on this.

Last edited:

Ralferator

I have the strong feeling that the A20a has a long break in period of about 1 week of playtime or something. It just sounds a lot better than yesterday. The soundstage really opened up. I'm really amazed by it. It may be the KEF Q150 speakers, since they are known for having a very long breakin period and Im running them for nearly 6 month. Im not sure. I need some confirmation on this.

I never understand why and how breaking in of speakers or amplifiers should happen. I think it's only happening in the ear and the brain.

Reactions: buz
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor

As said before. I confirm this point specially for this infineon chip. You need a long break in to get the best of this amp. You will notice after a long break in : a best soundstage and also a great improvement related to the gain. ( I had to ajust it @-10db)

This amp is a real bargain. I could compare it to my Purifi / Ncore nc502 and Poppulse T180MD. It is neck to neck to these amps

Moosi

This amp is a real bargain. I could compare it to my Purifi / Ncore nc502 and Poppulse T180MD. It is neck to neck to these amps
I think so too. Read a comment on amazon from someone driving two SabajA20a as monoblocks in a recording studio with very high end amplion monitors. He was also amazed, so there must be something to it.
---
I kind of solved the clicking problem of the psu relay by feeding my Topping E30 DAC from the 15V back port of the amp. Since the E30 is a 5V amp, I got myself built a DC-DC converter in order to plug the DAC to it. The Sound of the DAC even made a small leap compared to the old Huawei tablet adaptor I was using it with before. It is still clicking sometimes, but only on very few very bass heavy tracks and only >-21db, probably due to the superior energy efficiance of the Ma12070 chips spiking extremely in energy output even on loud volume. I am upgrading to KEF LS50 Meta loudspeakers soon. They are notorious for requiring very detailed and powerful amps in order to unfold their full potential. This will be the ultimate test for the A20a. I am looking really foreward to it.
Here's a video of the clicking and the solution. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyx6yzwdn4iepyq/DAC.mp4?dl=0

As far as I know the problem has already been solved by Sabaj at the time I am writing this. If you plan to buy a new Sabaj A20a you should not encounter it.

Last edited:

jaatre

I think so too. Read a comment on amazon from someone driving two SabajA20a as monoblocks in a recording studio with very high end amplion monitors. He was also amazed, so there must be something to it.
---
I kind of solved the clicking problem of the psu relay by feeding my Topping E30 DAC from the 15V back port of the amp. Since the E30 is a 5V amp, I got myself built a DC-DC converter in order to plug the DAC to it. The Sound of the DAC even made a small leap compared to the old Huawei tablet adaptor I was using it with before. It is still clicking sometimes, but only on very few very bass heavy tracks and only >-21db, probably due to the superior energy efficiance of the Ma12070 chips spiking extremely in energy output even on loud volume. I am upgrading to KEF LS50 Meta loudspeakers soon. They are notorious for requiring very detailed and powerful amps in order to unfold their full potential. This will be the ultimate test for the A20a. I am looking really foreward to it.
Here's a video of the clicking and the solution. https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyx6yzwdn4iepyq/DAC.mp4?dl=0

As far as I know the problem has already been solved by Sabaj at the time I am writing this. If you plan to buy a new Sabaj A20a you should not encounter it.

Thanks for running that experiment. I'm curious to know if we make use of the SW out and use a sub for low freq, does the click still be there or not

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning

gasolin75

@peterwen what do you mean by "This machine has an external power interface. Connect the DAC to A20A and there should be no such problem" ?

This ?

51Ydr-Laz7S._AC_SX522_.jpg

gasolin75

gasolin75

think it's okay not to have bluetooth although i use it more then i would have thought, do to the Sabaj A2A sounds so good, the clicking is such a turn off that i won't buy one risking getting a clicky amp, the fix im not shure i wil try since i just want a plug an play unit with not defaults.

When is it possible to buy the fixed,upgraded version ?

Last edited:

ceausuc

that is an interesting idea but I wonder how would one use an A20 as monoblock?
bi-wiring?

gasolin75

+ bi amping ;)

Moosi

Is there a sonic advantage of using the xlr in on the Sabaj A20a if so would this do it ?
Only if the DAC also has XLR-outs, then there might be an increase of about ~1db to the SND of the DAC. Doesn't really matter (unless you are using your A20a at a barbecue party outside with 20+ foot long cables layed out throughout your entire household).

gasolin75

Only if the DAC also has XLR-outs, then there might be an increase of about ~1db to the SND of the DAC. Doesn't really matter.

No Topping E30. I use a One Little Bear audio switcher, cdplayer,pc (only one who uses the dac), turntable (have a phonostage) and a tape deck, was hoping to get the output converted to xlr if i hadn't read about the clik sounds at 28 on the volume, since i remember someone saying one of the many smsl amps i think it was, sounded a little better using the xlr in

Moosi

No Topping E30.
You'd have to get a RCA-XLR converter-cable then. Don't buy the small pluggable ones who consist only of the XLR header and an RCA plug. Get a real cable with both endings. Report your findings, but I don't think there will be an audible difference.

gasolin75

You'd have to get a RCA-XLR converter-cable then. Don't buy the small pluggable ones who consist only of the XLR header and an RCA plug. Get a real cable with both endings. Report your findings, but I don't think there will be an audible difference.

ONLY if i but a Sabaj A20A, im just not willing to buy one with the click noise and don't wnat to make something to avoid the click sounds at 28 on the volume, the power supply need to be improved before im considering buying one

Mabye this can do it good enough ? (not expensive if it will improve the sound quality)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_cleanbox_pro.htm

i have the hum eliminator, im just not shure if it can take rca in and convert it to xlr, just because it might work doesn't meaning rca in will be convertet to balance out (xlr) if there is sound using rca in and xlr out

https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_dti.htm

Moosi

ONLY if i but a Sabaj A20A, im just not willing to buy one with the click noise and don't wnat to make something to avoid the click sounds at 28 on the volume, the power supply need to be improved before im considering buying one
It has already been fixed by the manufacturer. If you buy one, it should be the improved version by now. If not, return the item and/or contact support.
If you live in Europe and buy it from hifi-express.com (chinese manufacturer shop) choosing "EU" it will be send from/by amazon (cheaper overall).

gasolin75

I will have to look what i have to pay for it, since buying outside of europe makes it alot more expensive, handlig fee just a bit more than 20 euros + 25% import taxes. im not willing to pay more than 300 euros for it, what about shipping 10-20 euros, ui for shure don't wnat free shipping since i often take 2-3 weeks.

I don't see any one reporting that the power supply in the Sabaj amp is improved

Just bought a bigger monitor (screen) so i need to sell something first before i buy the amp

How about adding bluetooth to the amp ? Why isn't there a version with bluetooth ?

HorizonsEdge

How about adding bluetooth to the amp ? Why isn't there a version with bluetooth ?

I kinda feel that you are asking the wrong people this question?

Top Bottom