• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Ralf Stocker

E1DA 9038S, for example, has a significant DC offset, so the zero point of the signal is not the same as the USB ground. This makes it unsafe to connect to unbalanced devices with adapters, it is intended for headphones, which don't care about a DC offset.

D10 Balanced's DC offset is smaller, according to the specs at most 70 mV, and you are responsible to ensure your system can tolerate that, so that for example your unbalanced input is DC isolated from the ground.

DC doesn't matter. You have a capacitor at input.

Toku

Major Contributor
Why do you think of forcing a D10 Balanced unbalanced connection?
D10 Blanced is a product for balanced connection only.
For unbalanced connection, there is D10s dedicated to unbalanced connection.
Both have the same contents except for the output circuit.

If you really want to make an unbalanced connection to the D10 Balanced, think for yourself.
The safest way is to connect a line transformer like the one in the picture to convert the balance to unbalanced. This is common in the professional audio world.
Or I don't recommend it, but it's a method that uses 1 (GND) and 2 (HOT). However, this does not apply to all devices. The condition is that the input side is insulated.

By the way, I have already ordered D10 Balanced to add to D10s. The D10 series is very useful as a test equipment.

https://ja.aliexpress.com/item/4000860020115.html?spm

Last edited:

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can used with a l30 or is that a stupid question because it's a balanced only device?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For SE what would you suggest for a budget option from topping? there are many afterall. Still e30?

Sak

Will be profit with non balanced smsl sh9 through balanced inputs ?
Or will be the same 2v, which income from d10s ?

Last edited:

daniell92

What do I choose between d10s and d10b?
I currently have passive speakers and classic amp then rca. In the future I may switch to active amplified speakers. Can the d10s be used on active speakers to interface it to the pc? Or do you have to use the d10b with active speakers?

RedCometZero

Would it be possible to get a firmware for this with an FIR/linear phase filter involved? My usecase doesn't allow me to upsample and get the phase effects of the Nyquist filter out of the audible frequency range.

Veri

Master Contributor
Will be profit with non balanced smsl sh9 through balanced inputs ?
Or will be the same 2v, which income from d10s ?
Balanced inputs will get 4V.

Would it be possible to get a firmware for this with an FIR/linear phase filter involved? My usecase doesn't allow me to upsample and get the phase effects of the Nyquist filter out of the audible frequency range.
To call the MP filter "audibly" defective is an overstatement IMO :eek:
Also my guess is the answer is to buy a more expensive DAC with settings..

Reactions: Sak

daniell92

Come intendi controllare il volume sugli altoparlanti attivi?
is what I'm trying to understand, they would be the first active speakers ... total noobie in the field of active speakers. Using an unbalanced dac (d10s) and using rca output on active speakers what are the problems beyond any ground loops? However, I think I can control the volume directly from the pc (foobar, musicbee).
My question is if it is possible to enjoy the qualities of an unbalanced dac on active speakers, or if musically it is better to use a balanced dac (d10b)

RedCometZero

To call the MP filter "audibly" defective is an overstatement IMO :eek:
Also my guess is the answer is to buy a more expensive DAC with settings..
On DACs with selectable filters, I've generally found audible differences. The exact cause of those differences is very hard to know, because there are generally confounding factors like differences in the sharpness of the roll-off.

I read an AES paper years ago about a blind test showing both trained an untrained listeners heard differences between linear and minimum phase EQs (evidence towards the generally held belief that small phase differences are more audible than small differences in frequency response), so since then I've tried to buy DACs with linear phase filter options whenever possible. Alternatively, in other use cases than the one I'm looking to use this DAC for, if there's no linear phase filter, I've just upsampled in linear phase, knowing that the Nyquist filter will likely only impact sound well outside the audible range.

Sharur

my e30's auto on/off function doesn't work that well: dac randomly turns on when not in use (annoyance when sleeping), dac goes into standby when laptop lid is open but computer goes into sleep mode (won't turn on unless i close the lid and open it back up). I'm wondering if the d10 balanced has the same auto/on and off functionality

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
On DACs with selectable filters, I've generally found audible differences. The exact cause of those differences is very hard to know, because there are generally confounding factors like differences in the sharpness of the roll-off.

I read an AES paper years ago about a blind test showing both trained an untrained listeners heard differences between linear and minimum phase EQs (evidence towards the generally held belief that small phase differences are more audible than small differences in frequency response), so since then I've tried to buy DACs with linear phase filter options whenever possible. Alternatively, in other use cases than the one I'm looking to use this DAC for, if there's no linear phase filter, I've just upsampled in linear phase, knowing that the Nyquist filter will likely only impact sound well outside the audible range.
Large sharp eq in hundreds Hz yes. Interpolation filters, no.
You can just do blind test cycling through the filters on those dacs. You will not hear a difference except for super slow/NOS filters.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
my e30's auto on/off function doesn't work that well: dac randomly turns on when not in use (annoyance when sleeping), dac goes into standby when laptop lid is open but computer goes into sleep mode (won't turn on unless i close the lid and open it back up). I'm wondering if the d10 balanced has the same auto/on and off functionality
You can turn off the on/off function on E30.
D10 balanced doesn't have "the" auto on function. It just turns on when there's usb power. And this is also because there's no other inputs.

Sharur

You can turn off the on/off function on E30.
D10 balanced doesn't have "the" auto on function. It just turns on when there's usb power. And this is also because there's no other inputs.
I did turn off the auto on/off function on the e30 and the only annoyance remaining comes from missing the touchscreen powerbutton or not holding it long enough. If the d10 doesn't have the issues described then all is well.

Toku

Major Contributor
It works like that depending on the USB settings on your laptop PC.

Top Bottom