• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2 Speaker Review

PeterH

Hi All, does someone have the crossover design for the ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2?
I'm going to build a 1/1 mimic of the original crossover with high end parts (for fun).
The resistors and capacitors I know the values of, however no info on the inductance for the coils.
Ordered an LCR inductance meter but this is not in yet.

Thx for any feedback. Peter.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
There's something just not right with the way these sound, at least at my house. Not bad -- but just not right, either. :(

Brab

So what passives do I replace them with? I listen to classical music almost exclusively, so most important is that instruments sound like they're supposed to. The Elacs make instruments sound like products of a synthesizer.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what passives do I replace them with? I listen to classical music almost exclusively, so most important is that instruments sound like they're supposed to. The Elacs make instruments sound like products of a synthesizer.
Revel M105 - see Amir’s review.

marcello252

Hi,
I had the opportunity to get a pair of b6.2 at a very low price so I gave a try. Not bad but I think there's room to improve them.
I see the crossover has a 47 uF and a 70 uF NP electro in parallel, pretty high values indeed, I read someone put a 0.1uF across them and found the sound 'easier'.
has anybody tried some mod yet?
thx

marcello252

Hi,
I see the crossover has a 47 uF and a 70 uF NP electro in parallel, pretty high values indeed, I read someone put a 0.1uF across them and found the sound 'easier'.

No, he bypassed the poly 3.3uF tweeter, I've just found the original message, sorry, my bad :rolleyes:
Anyway, the 120uF cap is quite high what would it be its purpose?

marcello252

btw I think I've found the crossover schem:

Snap 2021-07-22 at 18.36.51.png

Brab

These speakers have improved somewhat with use. And no, it's not me breaking in.

marcello252

Ok, just for fun I tried the 0.1uF cap across the 3.3uF : I'm not sure, MAYBE it's a bit more airy but I don't know if it's real or just psychoacoustics, so I assume IT IS psychoacoustics. Anyway I'll leave the cap where it is.

One thing for sure the more they play the better they get, I'm now at 60 hours of continue listening, and that's definitely not psychoacoustics, so I think they need at least 100 hours or so to get the real sound

Last edited:

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing for sure the more they play the better they get, I'm now at 60 hours of continue listening, and that's definitely not psychoacoustics, so I think they need at least 100 hours or so to get the real sound
Can you backup your claim with measurements?

marcello252

Can you backup your claim with measurements?

Ok these could be psycho too indeed, you are right, maybe it's just my brain that broke in, but the different feel of the bass is evident to me.
Let's rephrase it, I think these speakers need a bit of time to get used to. Better?

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok these could be psycho too indeed, you are right, maybe it's just my brain that broke in, but the different feel of the bass is evident to me.
Let's rephrase it, I think these speakers need a bit of time get used too. Better?
That's the problem if you don't have measurements, our brains are morphed quite easily so it helps to have some measurements as a reference to go with your observations, maybe something in your room changed or maybe it was you getting used to the speakers, or maybe the speakers changed over time (but speaker burn-in is generally proved to be not an occurring factor - fictitious).

marcello252

If I remember correctly even Klipsch reports the need of a burn in time, I know it sounds like snake oil but when it's driven by manufacturers too it's difficult not to be brain morphed.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone ever done a measurements comparison from brand new speakers to 100 hours of use?
I know it's been done with headphones by @solderdude , and the conclusion was that there was no change with headphones. He did notice a tiny tiny (inaudible) change in measured response, but this was explained away as being the pads becoming ever so slightly thinner over the hours the headphone spent strapped to the measurement rig. That's shown at the following link:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/burn-in/
1627107486993.png

(note that this is a headphone measured on a flat plate rather than a GRAS "dummy head" so the overall measurement looks different to what you are used to seeing, but of course fine for comparing measurements when all are done on the flat plate)

He does actually point to some instances where speakers can burn in, but headphone burn-in doesn't seem to happen. I'm less sure that burn-in happens with speakers.....I think in most cases that it doesn't.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It might depend on the speaker or manufacturer in question, but I remember there was a manufacturer rep on here that said break in is usually only the first few seconds the speaker is played (in it's lifetime) and then it's stable. I mean if you keep it 20yrs then you might see some changes over time as stuff fails, but I just don't really think speaker break-in is a thing.......I think a lot of it is manufacturers doing some sales patter to reduce returns of products, ie they say you should break it in but really it's just your mind getting used to them. I don't believe in speaker burn-in.

Top Bottom