• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Were those the ones built by Porsche?
Yes. Porsche also did a lot of the chassis engineering and the brakes I believe. I understand there are around 1000 bodyshell mods both to get the engine in and to fit the wider (by 52mm iirc) suspension which means even things like the carpets and seats had to be unique to the car. Gerd Kremer, who ran the MB F1 marketing at the time told me it was the most expensive car Merc had ever produced and they would probably never do anything like it again - and they haven't!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When Porsche was Porsche, they always had a design/engineering consultancy unit. IIRC, that provided nearly half the income for the whole company. A lot of what they did was secret (so other co.s could claim the stuff was theirs) but many things found on German cars were designed by Porsche, not to mention engines for the Indy 500 and some recent help given to Harley-Davidson.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
When Porsche was Porsche, they always had a design/engineering consultancy unit. IIRC, that provided nearly half the income for the whole company. A lot of what they did was secret (so other co.s could claim the stuff was theirs) but many things found on German cars were designed by Porsche, not to mention engines for the Indy 500 and some recent help given to Harley-Davidson.
Then there was that time when Porsche hired Honda to engineer out some of their problems with engines.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Then there was that time when Porsche hired Honda to engineer out some of their problems with engines.
It wouldn't have been on their racing engines, Honda have eventually done OK but it takes a long time for them to learn, and their first ideas and efforts have always been rubbish :)
OTOH making a large number of extremely good production engines at a scarcely believable price they are brilliant, that was Mr Honda's main interest when I was working with them.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
iris.jpeg
iris-2.jpeg

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's seriously good looking, and in green no less! Green is my favorite color.
Mine too.
I am having a complete change, after 40 years of V8s I had a drive of one on Friday, ordered this today, now the wait!

I love the wheel choice I made but they will be the least aerodynamic!
My most frequent passenger is my dog, so space for him was paramount.

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mine too.
I am having a complete change, after 40 years of V8s I had a drive of one on Friday, ordered this today, now the wait!

I love the wheel choice I made but they will be the least aerodynamic!
My most frequent passenger is my dog, so space for him was paramount.
Congratulations! I'm sure your dog will have a great time riding in this. He'll be the envy of all of his friends!

MRC01

Major Contributor
... I am having a complete change, after 40 years of V8s I had a drive of one on Friday, ordered this today, now the wait! ...
Nice. Porsche invited me to drive a few of their cars around the local racetrack this week (911, Panamera, Macan, Cayenne, Taycan, Cayman, Boxster). It's been over 20 years since I was into amateur racing, so I'm very curious to see how things have changed.

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Terrific. I put a toe in the water with electrics (possibly not a great metaphor) with a Chevy Bolt, and I absolutely love it. Mind you, I kept my Hemi V-8 too. Horses for courses.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Looks heavier than your typical car?
I don't know about heavier than your typical car, but cars in general are getting heavier. Of the 7 models I listed, the Boxster is the only one < 3000 lbs. And that's not just Porsches getting heavier, it's all of them. Especially electrics. Teslas are around 5,000 lbs. !
There is something special about good handling light cars. No amount of wide tires and suspension work can make a 5,000 lbs. car as nimble as a 2,000 lb. car.

MRC01

Major Contributor
My wife's 2015 25th Anniversary Miata is an absolute joy to drive. Excellent handling, nice gearbox, and a willing rev-happy engine. Tremendous value for money.
The Miata is one of the best handling cars in the world. Perfectly balanced, rear wheel drive, light, nimble. They are competitive in SCCA autocross, which has tight courses that favor those attributes. And they are reliable & inexpensive.
Of course they're underpowered, but that is as expected, it's not for drag racing. Even so, their fun for dollar is hard to beat, especially when "dollar" means not just acquisition, but total cost of ownership. Every time you drive one it puts a smile on your face, and the reliability & maintenance will never put a frown on your face.

Top Bottom