• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not an expert, but can we take D90 and just replace AKM with ESS ? As they do in D90/MQA(AKM) ==> D90SE (ESS)
Same problem, the D90SE was re-engineered from the ground up for the change from AKM to ESS, so no to recreate that you'd simply end up with the D90SE - all over again. Swapping the AKM4499 with the ES9038Pro isn't a simple "drop-in". :)

IslandMD

I wouldn't spend a dime on any device that includes MQA. With the rise of streaming giants such as Apple Music, Amazon Music and the soon to come Spotify lossless, I think that Tidal's future looks shakey.

If Tidal dissapears, so does MQA. I don't see any other streaming service picking up MQA and it's unneeded lossy technology and associated fees.

sq225917

Major Contributor
While I largely agree, ma's on chip inclusion in ess silicon is a big deal commercially. With akm up shit creek it's actually a huge deal.

I hope ess are bleeding mqa for money to include it, not tother way round.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe some Hifi purist will look in the future for the non MQA, D90. I may sell my D90 then :p

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe some Hifi purist will look in the future for the non MQA, D90. I may sell my D90 then :p
Drop MQA and add a trigger. :)

- Rich

Last edited:
Reactions: EdW

DeepSpace57

There is no future for MQA. Apple lossless music (24bit/196kbs) is much cheaper than lossy (arguably 24bit/96kbps) by Tidal.

TheTipRat

First post !!

Does burn in work ?

Lol

Only poop stirring..

Anyway, I came to this site 3 weeks ago just before my decision to purchase the D90 over RME 2. So just wanna say thank you to all the great advice !

Mine wasn't PnP out of box but had it firing within minutes and my grin was like the Cheshire cat !

Agree with others that inferior recordings or low bit rate sounds like it is.. shit !

Lastly, I was very surprised how good 320kbps sounded , very good indeed !

Old DAC was an old Audio GD.
ME 75 Power Amp
Amcron Straight Line Two PRE Amp
Focal Chorus 716
iFi power
Wyred for Sound Recovery
16246747810493893924319157921087.jpg

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First post !!...
Anyway, I came to this site 3 weeks ago just before my decision to purchase the D90 over RME 2. So just wanna say thank you to all the great advice !

Mine wasn't PnP out of box but had it firing within minutes and my grin was like the Cheshire cat !

Agree with others that inferior recordings or low bit rate sounds like it is.. shit !

Lastly, I was very surprised how good 320kbps sounded , very good indeed !

Old DAC was an old Audio GD.
ME 75 Power Amp
Amcron Straight Line Two PRE Amp
Focal Chorus 716
iFi power
Wyred for Sound RecoveryView attachment 137451
Congratulations on getting your new Topping D90, and Welcome to ASR! :)

Last edited:

Bit Perfect

Now posting in the correct product thread, what do people think of the report that the D90 MQA version utilizes the MQA filter regardless of which filter the user selects? Is this something that Topping is aware of?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Upsampled, but this is not the "mqa filter". Recommendation from me has always be the same don't get the D90 MQA version if you don't want MQA.
D70s doesn't do the upsampling.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can you elaborate John? The report I saw showed the same filter applied regardless of which one was selected. Whether or not this is the MQA filter specifically, shouldn’t the different filters have different results?
Upsampled so difference of the selective filters only shows over 384khz.

Bit Perfect

Upsampled so difference of the selective filters only shows over 384khz.

You’re saying this result is due to the upsampling the DAC applies to all tracks? Or you’re saying the content used to test it was upsampled and thus we’d only see differences over 384khz?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You’re saying this result is due to the upsampling the DAC applies to all tracks? Or you’re saying the content used to test it was upsampled and thus we’d only see differences over 384khz?
Pretty much.

Top Bottom