• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90 Balanced USB DAC Review

Bit Perfect

One last thing, it looks like another video was posted showing that the filter doesn’t change with 16/44.1 content over USB on the D90 MQA. If I’m understanding you correctly, that is expected behavior because the DAC itself is upsampling everything to look like that? I’m confused as to why there are different filter modes then.

Additionally in the same video, running that same content over coax and switching the modes did show different filters being applied. It was only over USB that the filter did not change. Is this behavior as intended? Thanks for taking the time to explain!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
One last thing, it looks like another video was posted showing that the filter doesn’t change with 16/44.1 content over USB on the D90 MQA. If I’m understanding you correctly, that is expected behavior because the DAC itself is upsampling everything to look like that? I’m confused as to why there are different filter modes then.

Additionally in the same video, running that same content over coax and switching the modes did show different filters being applied. It was only over USB that the filter did not change. Is this behavior as intended? Thanks for taking the time to explain!
XMOS upsamples everything to 384khz. The filter is in the DAC so the response doesn't change with the filters.
With other inputs, xmos being bypassed, the filter has the effect.
This behavior was known from the beginning. But we figured it's not the best solution so D70s and newer have different implementation.
The reason behind upsampling is to reduce pop noise switching various sample rate MQA playback and normal PCM.

Bit Perfect

XMOS upsamples everything to 384khz. The filter is in the DAC so the response doesn't change with the filters.
With other inputs, xmos being bypassed, the filter has the effect.
This behavior was known from the beginning. But we figured it's not the best solution so D70s and newer have different implementation.
The reason behind upsampling is to reduce pop noise switching various sample rate MQA playback and normal PCM.

Cool, thanks for the more detailed explanation!

RobS

Forum Donor
Upsampled so difference of the selective filters only shows over 384khz.
That's not true.

If the D90 MQA is hooked up via USB and the sample rate is set to 44.1khz, there is no change when you select different filters when playing back white noise. The MQA rendering is done via the onboard XMOS chip.

There is no way around the MQA filter via USB.

Now if you select input via COAX, you can see the difference between different filters when playing back white noise.

Walderstorn

That's not true.

If the D90 MQA is hooked up via USB and the sample rate is set to 44.1khz, there is no change when you select different filters when playing back white noise. The MQA rendering is done via the onboard XMOS chip.

There is no way around the MQA filter via USB.

Now if you select input via COAX, you can see the difference between different filters when playing back white noise.

Thanks for the info.

This is pretty freaking dumb. Why have filters if they actually don't do shlitz outside of A+B+C conditions?! Maybe other products (Topping or not) have the same "situation".

Good that a SE version exists for those that use USB.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
https://streamable.com/svhu6j

Seems to be a real issue with a 44.1k input. He measured D90se and it did not have this issue.

Does "upsampling before the DAC" mean upsampling internally before the DAC chip (using the XMOS chip, say), or upsampling before the USB input of the DAC?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 is there any reason an optical cable from my TV to the D90 wouldn't work? I get a tick tick tick when doing so. TV output set to optical as well as the D90. Tried a different optical cable and same result.

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 is there any reason an optical cable from my TV to the D90 wouldn't work? I get a tick tick tick when doing so. TV output set to optical as well as the D90. Tried a different optical cable and same result.

I use mine often this way when watching broadcast TV, with no problems. Any chance to run the TV optical output to another device?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use mine often this way when watching broadcast TV, with no problems. Any chance to run the TV optical output to another device?
Unfortunately, no.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Down mixing to PCM?

Cut-Throat

Unfortunately, no.

I run my Optical TV output into my X26 Pro with no issues.... I suspect the problem lies with your TV. Either Settings or a hardware problem.... One thing to make sure is that your connections are secure. I've helped some people and they didn't have the Connector pushed all the way in? Do you have any device with an optical output that you could try with the DAC. Just so you could rule out a DAC problem. Like another TV for instance?

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the output is set to Dolby instead of PCM ?
I just tested it. It works fine with the Amazon firestick that's plugged into the HDMI port. YouTube TV, Netflix etc do not work properly. So I can confirm it's not the dac or cable. Something with this TV which has been repaired previously. Ugh.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just figured it out. Very odd. I've been trying the Optical out setting. Deep inside the menu there's a "optical and internal tv speaker" output which works! Seems strange to me that the quick "optical out" doesn't work but the other setting sure does. Weird.

Cut-Throat

I just figured it out. Very odd. I've been trying the Optical out setting. Deep inside the menu there's a "optical and internal tv speaker" output which works! Seems strange to me that the quick "optical out" doesn't work but the other setting sure does. Weird.
Yes, Optical and internal TV speaker is what you want ! - That is what I use !

dgozalie

reading the review of Mojo Mystique EVO Pro, i almost puke reading this sentences
"I briefly hooked up the Topping D90 directly to the Sound Devices Recorder and wanted to throw it (the D90) in the garbage. The differences are not subtle. I hope to convey the differences in the recording.... stand by as I perfect this and the song selections..."
yet in this site, Topping D90 is one of the best DAC ever measured by amir... so that make me wondering... can the machine measure the musicality ?
go ahead and read the review by yourself.....
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mojo-mystique-evo-pro-d-a-converter.25088/

Veri

Master Contributor
reading the review of Mojo Mystique EVO Pro, i almost puke reading this sentences
"I briefly hooked up the Topping D90 directly to the Sound Devices Recorder and wanted to throw it (the D90) in the garbage. The differences are not subtle. I hope to convey the differences in the recording.... stand by as I perfect this and the song selections..."
yet in this site, Topping D90 is one of the best DAC ever measured by amir... so that make me wondering... can the machine measure the musicality ?
go ahead and read the review by yourself.....
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/mojo-mystique-evo-pro-d-a-converter.25088/
And in other such subjective reviews it is praised and put next to/on par with Ares II. It's ridiculous. At its core it's just an AK4499 chip doing the conversion. It has no "sound" of its own...

Top Bottom