• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Different Speaker Cable Lengths

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This video is so full of serious flaws. It has to be a joke.

Does he more of this kind of joke videos?
Edit says: Jo, looks like he makes more jokes like this.

Last edited:

Offler

This video is so full of serious flaws. It has to be a joke.

Does he more of this kind of joke videos?
Edit says: Jo, looks like he makes more jokes like this.

He answered the question in a manner it was asked and technically he is right. There is no way how to position speakers to be perfectly in sync, unless you cut the wires with laser and position them using lasers :D

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So, why does it appears instant when drift speed is so low? Think of your wire as a pipe (filled with water). Then a water pump is attached to 1 side. When you turn on the pump, water flows and pushes the existing water out. The wire is filled with electrons.
You lost me at “think”. Can you turn this into a visual?

Plcamp

As I stated in the first run copper thread, we need to see cables using quantum entanglement, so that no delay at all is present.

BelgianJoey

The impact on timing of differences in cable length seems to me negligable. The effect of total impedance presented to the amplifier is maybe more relevant. The speaker with the longer cable will produce a lower volume. Probably inaudibly so, but I like some symmetrie in my system.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
He answered the question in a manner it was asked and technically he is right. There is no way how to position speakers to be perfectly in sync, unless you cut the wires with laser and position them using lasers :D

And even this would be not enough couse if you have little temperature differences in the room would lead to different cable length.
A joke but physikly correct.

DeLub

And even this would be not enough couse if you have little temperature differences in the room would lead to different cable length.
A joke but physikly correct.

the conclusion might be correct that a 1 inch difference might lead to a minute difference. But now way in this world you can subtract two speeds and end up with a distance. And if you compensate an inch of cable difference with a speaker distance that’s way more, you’re suggesting that sounds travels faster than light. No way he is physically correct.
I’ll watch his other videos to see if it’s a joke

tomtoo

Major Contributor
the conclusion might be correct that a 1 inch difference might lead to a minute difference. But now way in this world you can subtract two speeds and end up with a distance. And if you compensate an inch of cable difference with a speaker distance that’s way more, you’re suggesting that sounds travels faster than light. No way he is physically correct.
I’ll watch his other videos to see if it’s a joke

Oh, no you got me wrong. That math in the video is bullshit. And the conclusions too.
I think he jokes in other videos also. Even this kind of humor is hard to get for me.
I didnt do the math ,yours looks right from my first view. Its even if we would talk about 100m cable length difference the time difference would be much to small that you can hear.

Last edited:

dkinric

You are not going to achieve the time alignment precision you want without taking gravitational force into account. I always calculate gravity when designing my speaker cable runs.
Using various height cable risers, you can control the speed of the electron flow - moving from a higher elevation to a lower elevation along the flow direction will speed up the signal (downhill), causing it to arrive slightly earlier. Electrons moving uphill will be delayed slightly. This is the best way to compensate for speaker cable manufacturing tolerance and length mismatch differences.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t know how he keeps a straight face making these videos. I wonder how many people take them as real. I’ve never seen videos that exhibit sarcasm as difficult to detect as a forum post. I bow to this master. He has taken sarcasm to the next level.

Martin

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I don’t know how he keeps a straight face making these videos. I wonder how many people take them as real. I’ve never seen videos that exhibit sarcasm as difficult to detect as a forum post. I bow to this master. He has taken sarcasm to the next level.

Martin

I did look now 3 or 4 videos. And being german and far away from having a good english, i can tell you its realy hard to get the humor.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
You are not going to achieve the time alignment precision you want without taking gravitational force into account. I always calculate gravity when designing my speaker cable runs.
Using various height cable risers, you can control the speed of the electron flow - moving from a higher elevation to a lower elevation along the flow direction will speed up the signal (downhill), causing it to arrive slightly earlier. Electrons moving uphill will be delayed slightly. This is the best way to compensate for speaker cable manufacturing tolerance and length mismatch differences.

Did you take in account earth magnetic field to? Big difference for the electrons if they can go with the fieldliens or have to jump over them when they cross.

Top Bottom