• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
What is the difference in implementation between filters 1-5 and filters 6-9? Curious what the difference is between those that come with the dac chip and those that don't. And is there any performance difference?
-235d4ec151de4c35.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Sorry for not making it clear. I'm a newbie. I've seen this graph but wonder if the newer filters are better or worse in any way.
As you might already figured out, you probably couldn't hear any difference. So I recommend stick with the default filter and enjoy music.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
JohnYang1997, about this soundnews guy………is there really some benefit to put pre90 between d90se and studio monitors…..or is this fantasy……..he is very sure x26 and matrix obviously shine on speaker setup vs. D90se.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
JohnYang1997, about this soundnews guy………is there really some benefit to put pre90 between d90se and studio monitors…..or is this fantasy……..he is very sure x26 and matrix obviously shine on speaker setup vs. D90se.
For D90se I don't think it's remotely necessary. The input noise of all the amplifiers I know are higher than D90se output noise. When you need pre90 you'd know you need one, otherwise I know you don't.

razamanaz

a review of d90se shows that the filters have different THD+N vs Frequency graphs, Amirm explored the default filter graph, probably it is the cleanest

Attachments

• Topping D30Pro Measurements USB Balanced DAC THD+N vs Frequency 45 kHz.png
    Topping D30Pro Measurements USB Balanced DAC THD+N vs Frequency 45 kHz.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 254

gvl

Major Contributor
Can someone please provide a quick summary of the D30Pro issues uncovered to date and solutions, if any?

aandres_gm

Can someone please provide a quick summary of the D30Pro issues uncovered to date and solutions, if any?
There are some jitter "rejection" issues over Toslink on particularly jittery sources like some (most?) CD-Players. There's no solution for that.

Some of us have experienced issues when playing 384kHz content. In my case, I heard static noise on the left channel. I am pretty confident Topping has gotten this under control and will be fixed with a FW update.

Besides that, no issues that I know of.

gvl

Major Contributor
There are some jitter "rejection" issues over Toslink on particularly jittery sources like some (most?) CD-Players. There's no solution for that.

Some of us have experienced issues when playing 384kHz content. In my case, I heard static noise on the left channel. I am pretty confident Topping has gotten this under control and will be fixed with a FW update.

Besides that, no issues that I know of.

Jitter rejection issues as it being unable to reliably lock on the signal causing dropouts? Any issues with the Chromecast Audio via optical? An external dejitter can be a solution to this problem, not ideal but perhaps may be a workable solution for some.

aandres_gm

Jitter rejection issues as it being unable to reliably lock on the signal causing dropouts? Any issues with the Chromecast Audio via optical? An external dejitter can be a solution to this problem, not ideal but perhaps may be a workable solution for some.
Yeah, that. Not sure on Chromecast, haven't tried that. That could be a solution, yes, but I thought you were asking about in-device solutions

Xenio

I plan on upgrading my stereo setup with a Audiophonics power amp based on either hypex NC122 or NC252 (don't know yet)

Will the D30 Pro be a good "logical" match to this as a DAC and a pre-amp ?

Mulder

Forum Donor
I plan on upgrading my stereo setup with a Audiophonics power amp based on either hypex NC122 or NC252 (don't know yet)

Will the D30 Pro be a good "logical" match to this as a DAC and a pre-amp ?
What do you mean? Logical?

Mulder

Forum Donor
@Xenio If what you are asking is what @Veri above thinks, I would say it makes sense. But, be aware that D30 Pro has had problems to receive an SPDIF signal from some CD players. If your plan is to use it with a CD player I would recommend another DAC. I would strongly recommend a version of the Hypex amp with balanced XLR inputs. Be also aware of that D30 Pro has no Bluetooth input, in case you need or want that.

Xenio

Yeah, I was wondering if it made sense, like if the dac wasn't "too good" for those amps i.e. should I buy a lower end DAC with higher end amp or things like that
It's something I always think about while building computers, I will not put a RTX 3080 with a 100€ CPU for example ^^
So thanks for the clarification

I don't plan on using it with a CD player, mainly through USB with a PC behind. However I do plan on using the optical connexion from my LG OLED BX, it will not be the most "important" use case though

So could you elaborate on what those problems are ? From your phrasing it seems to only be a problem with some CD players, I will only use the LG OLED BX optical output

Mulder

Forum Donor
Yeah, I was wondering if it made sense, like if the dac wasn't "too good" for those amps i.e. should I buy a lower end DAC with higher end amp or things like that
It's something I always think about while building computers, I will not put a RTX 3080 with a 100€ CPU for example ^^
So thanks for the clarification

I don't plan on using it with a CD player, mainly through USB with a PC behind. However I do plan on using the optical connexion from my LG OLED BX, it will not be the most "important" use case though

So could you elaborate on what those problems are ? From your phrasing it seems to only be a problem with some CD players, I will only use the LG OLED BX optical output
I think it is correct to say that most quality DACs these days are "better" than any power-amplifier. The Hypex amps are really good amps however, and I would not say D30 Pro is overkill. D30 Pro is a solid build and very neat. But you will probably not hear any difference if you buy a good but less expensive DAC.
I have my D30 Pro connected to a SONY TV with a 12 meter SPDIF optical Toslink cable without any problem. The peoblem in my case is only related to one of my CD players, and others have reported the same problem. So if you connect it to a CD player it may work, or it may not work. You can´t know beforehand.

Xenio

>probably not hear any difference if you buy a good but less expensive DAC.

That's something that I kind of knew already. I was just like "well I know topping makes goods DACs, I know the D30 pro is especially good and it is balanced (for what it's worth), and oh I don't see any topping DAC cheaper that have a pre-amp" haha
And in the end 350€ for a "perfect" DAC isn't too expensive so it's okay I guess

I won't connect it to a CD player, I'll take this D30 Pro then... and if it doesn't work with the TV it will be an upgrade for my headphone setup haha

Just need to know which hypex module should I pick now, but it's another problem for another thread. Thanks ;)

Xenio

>You will need a separate headphone amplifier.

Of course, I already have a DAC / headphone amp setup

Top Bottom