• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D30Pro Review (Balanced DAC)

mpocta1

Hello everyone Can you tell me if you can adjust the volume of the Topping D30 Pro from other devices?

hyperknot

Hi, where do you recommend buying this product in Europe? Amazon DE has "Aoshida HiFi-DE" and Shenzhen Audio both selling for 323 EUR with free shipping today. Audiophonics also reduced the price, it'd be 351 EUR including shipping.

How is Shenzen Audio when handling warranty? If I'd have to send it to China and back to EUR with VAT, import duties, shipping costs, it'd probably be more then the whole DAC, so basically I consider China warranty non-existent. Did anyone have to deal with Shenzen Audio for warranty?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, where do you recommend buying this product in Europe? Amazon DE has "Aoshida HiFi-DE" and Shenzhen Audio both selling for 323 EUR with free shipping today. Audiophonics also reduced the price, it'd be 351 EUR including shipping.

How is Shenzen Audio when handling warranty? If I'd have to send it to China and back to EUR with VAT, import duties, shipping costs, it'd probably be more then the whole DAC, so basically I consider China warranty non-existent. Did anyone have to deal with Shenzen Audio for warranty?
Audiophonics for easiest 2-year warranty and hassle free costumer service is worth it IMO. Also check hifistudio79, shipping might be cheaper depending where you are located :)

hyperknot

Audiophonics for easiest 2-year warranty and hassle free costumer service is worth it IMO. Also check hifistudio79, shipping might be cheaper depending where you are located :)

Thanks, it'll be Audiophonics then.

aandres_gm

I got mine at hifistudio79.nl. Quick shipping and no issues

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997, can you confirm if this has any DC issue via xlr and rca when power off?

Thanks!
Switching using the switch on the back:
XLR: Switching on <100uV typical
XLR: Switching off <10uV typical
RCA: Switching on <5mV typical
RCA: switching off <20uV typical

This is not normal operation condition. Please use the knob or the remote to turn on or off the device. This case there's no pop at all.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

This is not normal operation condition. Please use the knob or the remote to turn on or off the device. This case there's no pop at all.
Or turn the power amplifier of first

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Or turn the power amplifier of first
I also connect my subwoofers to DAC. .Too lazy to do multiple on and off.
: )

Thanks. My Guatard x16 has no other power off option other than the back switch.

I just bought D30pro from Apos and will use it to direct connect to my amp and subs in preamp mode. I feel much safer this way as compared to X16.

I hope I get the latest version with additional filters and FW.

D700

Enjoying my new D30/A30 pro combo...man...inky quiet when music isn't playing and thunderous reserves if you dare. Well done.

alek19000

@JohnYang1997
D30PRO BUG report:

Thanks for the great product, and here is a bug I found when using it:
Environment:.
PC -> usb cable -> D30 pro ->XLR->A30pro.
PC with Motherboard Asus z370A , with intel 3.1, 2.0 usb controller and Asmedia 3.1 usb controller and Nvidia 2080ti graphic card's 3.1 type-c usb controller.
Hard drive: wd redplus hdd, and wd sn750 sdd.
USB cable: 1) generic 1.5m USB A to B with USB certificate, 2) 1m Cardas Clear usb 2.0 ( serial buss rev.1) 3) an 1.8m old cable with ferrite ring from my old EMU-0204 interface.4) an 1.5m USB type-c to B cable.
Power and ground : pc with ground and lift ground , d30pro always to ground to another wall plug, a30 pro same ground with d30pro.
Software:
FOOBAR 1.6.6 and setup dsd playback to TOPPING website.
Topping driver: 5.12.0
D30 PRO firmware : v2.44

ISSUE and Procedure to reproduce it:
1)setting dsd play according to TOPPING website, test some dsd 64 files ,OK.
2) open Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel, select Buffer Settings and set:
Buffer size: to the max it shows
in the case with the song in 3),it shows 16384 then select it,
check safe mode
ASIO Status shows now:
Current sample rate: 11289600 Hz
Input Latency: 535584 samples (47.44 ms)
Output Latency: 558848 samples (49.50 ms)
ASIO active (DSD mode)
3 ) play an album from foobar called: " the Four seasons" by UNAMAS String Quartet ,
bought and downloaded from Sony Hi-res store , file info: DSD 256, BITRATE: 22579, SAMPLE RATE: 11289600Hz
4 ) after about 1 minute up to 3 minutes, the foobar stops playback and pop a window says:
"
Unrecoverable playback error: The process receiving or sending data has terminated
"
5) switch USB cables mentioned above , to different USB port mentioned above, Lift grounds mentioned above,
turn the wifi router, phones, lights off.
in All senerios, the 4) issue happens 100%.

6) when it happens ,the Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel shows:
Current sample rate: 48000Hz
Input Latency: 2096samples (43.67 ms)
Output Latency: 2376samples (49.50 ms)
ASIO not active

7) How to solve it :
In Topping USB Audio Device Control Panel, select Buffer Settings and set:
Buffer size: to the min it shows , to the above song this is 64 samples , and it shows when playing :
Current sample rate: 11289600 Hz
Input Latency: 13344 samples (1.18 ms)
Output Latency: 28224 samples (2.50 ms)
ASIO active (DSD mode)
Playing along for more than 1 hour , no problem, for two USB ports and two cables.

Conclusion: Firstly I thought it was an usb cable/ port interference problem, so I tested it with different ports/ cables which didn't work.
then I set the buffer to minimal number ,it works now!

It seems like the buffer allowed in Control panel exceeds the DAC's max buffer , which causes a FIFO overflow?

otherwise it indeed like a bug I encountered many years ago when I was in a team builds cellular baseband processor, there was a themal compensate problem for the cell phone's RF reciever's crystal clock, doing service at full speed after several minutes, the clock floats and PLL out of lock, link terminated then. it took us 4 weeks to find out why and 1 month for hardware people to solve it ,and as a young software developer ,I was very happy it got solved and not a software problem. ; )

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
"Interesting" take on the ASR philosophy ;)

alek19000

"Interesting" take on the ASR philosophy ;)

the output power thing I think it is because when L30 got out, ppl complained it, for HD600headphones, it didn't drive them loud enough in middle gain, and noisy in high gain , :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

He is so cynical. When I got this combo and go to my friend's place, compared it to his ten times more expensive HUGO TT2, he was blown away :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

What can I say ? maybe like this:" Got a pair of decent headphones, like Focal Utopia, you will hear the differences immediately , the sound signature is obvious! the system you pair with d30pro is so shit which can't show its supremacy!! upgrade!!! upgrade!!!! "

Last edited:

kaydubbed

I want a balanced DAC with a pre amp to feed to a VTV Hypex NC502MP NCore Amplifier 500WX2.

Would this piece of kit fit the bill nicely for my Philharmonic BMR speaker kit I'm building?

Top Bottom