• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs Atom DAC+ Review

bboris77

I'm talking about adding gimmicks with marketing buzzwords "carefully tuned six opamp I/V converter"

As far as marketing buzzwords go, in my opinion, this is pretty benign and very close to reality. I mean, they obviously did spend time tweaking this analogue output stage to maximize performance. In the blog, they describe this process in some detail without giving away everything of course.

An example of egregious marketing would be using fancy audiophile terminology to name this analogue output stage and then pretending that it is doing some mysterious proprietary stuff that nobody else has ever done, without providing any evidence.

Labjr

Major Contributor
As far as marketing buzzwords go, in my opinion, this is pretty benign and very close to reality. I mean, they obviously did spend time tweaking this analogue output stage to maximize performance. In the blog, they describe this process in some detail without giving away everything of course.

An example of egregious marketing would be using fancy audiophile terminology to name this analogue output stage and then pretending that it is doing some mysterious proprietary stuff that nobody else has ever done, without providing any evidence.

They're promoting gimmickry. And youtube reviewers like Guttenberg will be quoting the marketing speak same as you did.

bboris77

They're promoting gimmickry. And youtube reviewers like Guttenberg will be quoting the marketing speak same as you did.

1. I did put it in quotation marks to acknowledge it was their own term, so I was not taking it at face value and parroting it blindly.

2. It is hardly gimmickry as it is clear that this optimization was necessary to improve measured performance. The term that they used is fairly descriptive - they used 6 op-amps in the output stage, and they spent time tuning the circuit to get good performance. I guess you could argue that the figure 6 is a bit of a show-off (as opposed to say 2 or 4 op-amps), but it is very mild marketing compared to most other manufacturers.

3. We don't know what Guttenberg or other youtubers will do. Once he does it, then let's talk about it.

4. Integrity and marketing are not mutually exclusive. There is a line where marketing becomes shady, and I don't think it was crossed here. Not even close.

P_M

It is a good idea but currently I don't have a database of prices. The master index does and we are thinking about how to integrate them.
If there is any way I can help or volunteer to put it together let me know. I am sure you'd find many volunteers here if you ask.

datrumole

@amirm i see some folks who would have prefer a digital volume control in this unit, but is there any added value there? there was always people who felt that windows compresses something or some resolution is lost when using the windows system volume control with a DAC, is there anything that backs that statement up? does the windows system modify the resolution when using an external DAC upstream of the DAC, or does it tell the DAC, and the DAC regulates downstream at the output voltage thus no real resolution is lost? trying to put some legitimate measurements to what others have speculated

3125b

Major Contributor
is there anything that backs that statement up?
I measured it with a Topping E30 and the (fairly obvious) answer is: no, it doesn't make a difference wether Windows or the DACs volume control is used (The final truth about DSP Volume Control in Roon | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum ).
Analog volume control might fare a bit better (at these price levels), but channel balance is far more important.

I wonder why they used an older DAC chip again here. Performance is obviously where it should be, so in the end it doesn't matter.

PuX

if input select is a separate button, what is the blue ring for? just a light?

in EL DAC the ring in the middle is the input selector.

guildenstern

if input select is a separate button, what is the blue ring for? just a light?

in EL DAC the ring in the middle is the input selector.

Yep, that central ring is a light, not a switch -- when the ring is lit, you know the DAC is on and active. Note also that the DAC has a standby feature, which JDS explains as follows:

AUTOMATIC STANDBY
Atom DAC+ automatically enters standby after 15 minutes of inactivity, powering down its light ring and D/A circuitry, and audio wakes up silently and instantly.

Reactions: PuX

Atratusnex

Give me a balanced version for my Genelec (and keep the toslink) for about 199 or under and i will buy it jds.

Labjr

Major Contributor
And display some basic information like sample rate.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm i see some folks who would have prefer a digital volume control in this unit, but is there any added value there?
Yes there is. I like DACs with volume control so if I don't have another source, I can directly drive a power amplifier with them.

TurtlePaul

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While I see the value of digital volume control:

1. This is explicitly marketed to be stacked with the matching headphone amp which has volume control and pre-outs.

2. It does have digital volume control, which is controlled by the PC volume level. Clearly this amp was designed by be USB first and the Toslink is just a bonus.

I ordered one today to stack with my Atom Amp.

Xyrium

Forum Donor
So, weren't we talking about clipping off the bottom 25% of the SINAD list at this point? I mean, if a product can't hit 100dB on that chart now, they're probably not in consideration for anyone on this site, regardless of price. It's probably time to recalibrate...

Thanks for bring this to us, as always, Amir (and JDS for that matter!).

Atratusnex

So, weren't we talking about clipping off the bottom 25% of the SINAD list at this point? I mean, if a product can't hit 100dB on that chart now, they're probably not in consideration for anyone on this site, regardless of price. It's probably time to recalibrate...

Thanks for bring this to us, as always, Amir (and JDS for that matter!).
I think there is some value in keeping even the lower performing ones...for relative perspective and transparency....
it paints the Way WE HAVE COME

TurtlePaul

I think there is some value in keeping even the lower performing ones...for relative perspective and transparency....
it paints the Way WE HAVE COME

I think the best presentation would keep even the losers but sort into categories: USB-only DACs, SPDIF DACs, DACs with headamps or preamps, disk players and other (receivers, etc.)

You can cut down the size of the list by having separate lists for products which will rarely be cross shopped.

H-713

I think the best presentation would keep even the losers but sort into categories: USB-only DACs, SPDIF DACs, DACs with headamps or preamps, disk players and other (receivers, etc.)

You can cut down the size of the list by having separate lists for products which will rarely be cross shopped.

Some people will want to compare audio interfaces to regular USB only DACs, but if you cut out some of the really unrelated stuff (streamers, for example) it would help. IMO, the whole SINAD list isn't particularly useful anyway, since you have the number for the product, and Amir usually comments on whether it is in the top third, middle or bottom third of all the DACs tested.

Atratusnex

amirm rarely measures all connection methods. So... I don't think this would work, we don't know SINAD of most connection methods beside USB or SPDIF /sometimes coax etc. it seems like amirm is testing what he wants, depending on how he feels... sometimes more, sometimes less. That's fine, but this might not work for this type of list ...

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
amirm rarely measures all connection methods. So... I don't think this would work, we don't know SINAD of most connection methods beside USB or SPDIF /sometimes coax etc. it seems like amirm is testing what he wants, depending on how he feels... sometimes more, sometimes less. That's fine, but this might not work for this type of list ...
Usually different inputs don't affect SINAD/THD+N much. Jitter would change a lot and that's why Amir does jitter with different inputs.

Top Bottom