• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

JSmith

Master Contributor
So it's not very good.
It's not really is it? If this "super fuse" is so good, why not just include it with the product to start with? It implies the standard fuse is sub-standard... which then leads to people spending a bit more money.

I would like to see published evidence that this "super fuse" will improve an already very transparent DAC.

JSmith

ABall

Forum Donor
He's already said he purchased it to test, I dont see him overloading it, that implies he's going to listen to it, we are just trying to stop the guy making more mistakes like this

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's not really is it? If this "super fuse" is so good, why not just include it with the product to start with? It implies the standard fuse is sub-standard... which then leads to people spending a bit more money.

I would like to see published evidence that this "super fuse" will improve an already very transparent DAC.

JSmith
Like I said. The more expensive is not always better.
Also I was talking about blow current/power being out of spec not audio related performance.

Reynaldo

I did not remove the fuse from my X16, however this one that Gustard sells the specification is:
Fuse specification U16 C16 X16 A18 selected 630mA

Interesting is that they write that this fuse is directional, it has the right side to fit.
In audio it has everything.

Attachments

• Sem título-3.jpg
    Sem título-3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 265

Shives

Forum Donor
Yea, I can’t understand what this fuse is going to provide, other then a 20.00 hole in your pocket.
It’s a fuse, a fancy fuse! But we don’t have any devices for safety other then a single line wire fuse. Lol. It’s not a relay, a transformer, or a fancy diode.
It’s on the A/C input side. No filtering built in.. I can’t see how special sand encased in fancy ceramic will improve sound.
If they wanted to ploy the public maybe start with fuse that blows faster and safer then your standard fuse. Or some shit about saving the device, rather improve sound with a fancy fuse. It has about as much quality sound delivering abilities as my 10mm wrench. Lol. (Kidding)

I think it’s sad for them to do this. And someone said they got an email stating the fuse that came with is dangerous?? Really? Then should this not be standard equipment @gustard

Veri

Master Contributor
I think it’s sad for them to do this. And someone said they got an email stating the fuse that came with is dangerous?? Really? Then should this not be standard equipment @gustard
Did you know, the standard fuse can blow up?? :D

dpippel

Everyone should be warned, they are really very dangerous and may bring the Earth to it's knees;

JSmith

As I understand it, the sand in the fuse prevents the plutonium core from reaching critical mass, so this scenario is unlikely.

ABall

Forum Donor
And someone said they got an email stating the fuse that came with is dangerous?? Really? Then should this not be standard equipment @gustard

I better clarify this, no one said that, he said he received an email explaining why he should buy the fuse, he said he bought the fuse for safety not to improve the sound. I was elaborating a little when I said "show us the email where Gustard said the existing fuse isnt safe and you need to buy the fancy one" Chinese whispers then creates this exploding fuse scenario, lmao. In my opinion he is back tracking by saying he didnt buy it to improve the sound quality of the X16 because he said he wants to "test" the fuse..... I doubt he's going to blow up a 20 dollar fuse so test means listening to it. All caught up and no misinformation or misinterpretation now.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Actualy I thought I tested the XLR and found it wasn't any better, turning it on was just as bad but to be fair I also contacted Benchmark who said their DACs would do exactly the same if using DC coupled amps.
Interesting, I used to connect Gustard xlr directly to my subs and there was no issues when turn on and off the DAC. When connected via RCA, it was very loud when I turned off the DAC.

ABall

Forum Donor
Interesting, I used to connect Gustard xlr directly to my subs and there was no issues when turn on and off the DAC. When connected via RCA, it was very loud when I turned off the DAC.
Its possible my method of testing was not suitable for XLR out, I didn't connect them to my amps as they are single ended, I measured the offset with a DMM, I wonder if theres a cancellation when all 3 pins are in play, alternatively I wonder if your XLR inputs are not DC coupled.

ABall

Forum Donor
@gustard, I hope you are still watching this thread even though its gone off the beaten track a little, could you please tell me how the DAC handles Pre- emphasis? In fact can anyone shed some light? apologies if this is covered in the manual, I haven't read it. I am digging out an old TDA CDP that I turned into a transport many years ago and I know a lot of old players did the de emphasis in the analogue domain so I guess I would be relying on the DAC doing it. I didn't think about this when I ripped my extensive CD collection to FLAC.

Top Bottom