• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 DAC Review

Radioman55

I have both versions of E30, and can confirm the CS8416 (serial 2102xx) version sounds more "flat"or "boring".
Something is simply not right with this one.

Radioman55

I always use USB thus the updated chip change does not technically effect. However it is possible they silently updated something else.

Last edited:

YSDR

I was accidentally using filter 4 for some time and wasn't able to figure out what was "off." Once I noticed and switched back to filter 1, the air frequencies returned. Could be placebo, but just my two cents
With lower sampling rate (44.1kHz, maybe 48kHz for good ears), it's easy to measure and hear the difference in the top octave frequency response between a slow (F2, F4) and a sharp filter (F1, F3), it's not just placebo.

fokta

Hi, question, is E30 support 512 DSD natively ??
Seem I can't play 512 DSD, and down scale to 32/358
Edit : playing 256 DSD works fine...

for 768 PCM work flawless...

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, question, is E30 support 512 DSD natively ??
Seem I can't play 512 DSD, and down scale to 32/358
Edit : playing 256 DSD works fine...

for 768 PCM work flawless...
The E30 works perfectly with ASIO from DSD64 to DSD512.

nerone

Is there an option to reset the E30?
I have problems with auto power on, several times at startup Chromecadt Audio reads the frequency of the song as if it worked but no sound comes out of the speakers.
I have to turn it off and on again several times for it to work

fokta

Not sure what you found? The latest driver version is V5.0.0.
Ok.. I alrd download from the Topping site.
and also install it.. is like you mention V5
Seems now I can play 512 DSD in ASIO...
1621513858231.png

But now not able to play in WASAPI...
Sorry for the newbie question... I hope this WASAPI or ASIO changing is no different, right ?

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No idea.. I don't do Windows ;)

But DSD only works properly if the transfer is bit-perfect, so if it works, you'll be good.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ok.. I alrd download from the Topping site.
and also install it..
Seems now I can play 512 DSD in ASIO...
View attachment 130881
But now not able to play in WASAPI...
Sorry for the newbie question... I hope this WASAPI or ASIO changing is no different, right ?
If you want to play DSD, ASIO is always recommended.

hawk01

hello all E30 users, shame on my lazy ass to backread. i am planning to use the E30 to do full time preamp/DAC duties for my main speaker system. source is minipc, usb input into E30 connected to the amplifier powering revel M16s. it will be playing a mixed bag of FLAC and DSD files. Q&A below:

1. is a DAC like the E30 with volume control even worthy of using as a preamp in a (not desktop) stereo system? this makes for one less gear (preamp) in the chain which makes it attractive.

2. is the digital volume control on the E30 bit perfect? no loss of material in low volumes? is the volume control resolving enough to perform preamp duties?

3. in preamp mode, does the E30 display show volume dB level only during playback? or does it momentarily indicate sampling rate changes when it happens, then revert to volume dB level afterwards?

4. in preamp mode does the DAC functionality remain unaffected? again as it will receive a selection of FLAC and DSD files from the pc source.

user inputs are much appreciated! cheers and be safe!

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1. is a DAC like the E30 with volume control even worthy of using as a preamp in a (not desktop) stereo system? this makes for one less gear (preamp) in the chain which makes it attractive.

2. is the digital volume control on the E30 bit perfect? no loss of material in low volumes? is the volume control resolving enough to perform preamp duties?

This should answer most of your questions on digital volume control.

3. in preamp mode, does the E30 display show volume dB level only during playback? or does it momentarily indicate sampling rate changes when it happens, then revert to volume dB level afterwards?

As far as I remember, yes! But others could confirm.

4. in preamp mode does the DAC functionality remain unaffected? again as it will receive a selection of FLAC and DSD files from the pc source.

What functionality are you referring to? The major difference in pre-amp mode vs DAC mode is with DSD: since you cannot do volume control on a 1-bit signal, it needs to be converted to PCM first, which is what happens in pre-amp mode. In DAC mode, it will use a direct DSD mode, bypassing the conversion. If you ask me, the PCM conversion should not harm and might arguably even give a better result, but others might disagree.

hawk01

@voodooless much appreciated especially your comments on #4. now i fully understand the story behind conversion. next thing that comes to mind relative to this is my SMSL Sanskrit 10th mkII. while the E30 has the selectable mode that toggles between DAC and preamp mode, the Sanskrit being simpler as you are always in preamp mode until you put volume to max ouput to function as DAC.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It has the same chip, so I guess it never used DSD direct mode since volume control is always an option. I'd say: who cares...

Top Bottom