• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, those distortion numbers are impressive. I have to wonder how the build will hold up over time though (Hifiman doesn’t have a great reputation for durability.) Have they improved their QA/QC in recent years?
To be fair, seems like the OG HE6 are built like tanks and are pretty easy to replace the weaker cosmetic /mechanical links aside from the electrics

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To be fair, seems like the OG HE6 are built like tanks and are pretty easy to replace the weaker cosmetic /mechanical links aside from the electrics
To this point, my He-6 that was previously measured is probably something like 10 years old and looks like new. I think the build quality on the older HiFiMAN HE headphones, despite looking "cheap", is rather good. The driver appears to be bulletproof with normal usage. Hopefully that design/process is similar enough on these SE's that they also go for the long haul. With such low distortion and the ease of use of EQ in modern systems, there isn't much reason to upgrade anytime soon.

Contrast that against some higher visual quality headphones out there that experience frequent driver failures and I think you more than get your monies worth.

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
index.php
Hey @amirm . I was thinking about your soundstage/spatial effect theory recently. I've noticed that if you cover the backs of planar headphones with your hands, you'll get a much more narrow and between-your-ears soundstage. I'm sure it changes a few other things like FR, but I wonder what group delay would look like by just covering the backs with your hands. Thanks for the great review as always!

NoteMakoti

My HE 4XX just blew up out of warranty, so as cool and exciting as this looks, I'm a bit wary of it.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My HE 4XX just blew up out of warranty, so as cool and exciting as this looks, I'm a bit wary of it.
Sure it was just a failing of the HP or maybe amp gone dodgy?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To this point, my He-6 that was previously measured is probably something like 10 years old and looks like new. I think the build quality on the older HiFiMAN HE headphones, despite looking "cheap", is rather good. The driver appears to be bulletproof with normal usage. Hopefully that design/process is similar enough on these SE's that they also go for the long haul. With such low distortion and the ease of use of EQ in modern systems, there isn't much reason to upgrade anytime soon.

Contrast that against some higher visual quality headphones out there that experience frequent driver failures and I think you more than get your monies worth.

If only they came with trackers installed! (seriously, glad they turned up)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey @amirm . I was thinking about your soundstage/spatial effect theory recently. I've noticed that if you cover the backs of planar headphones with your hands, you'll get a much more narrow and between-your-ears soundstage. I'm sure it changes a few other things like FR, but I wonder what group delay would look like by just covering the backs with your hands. Thanks for the great review as always!
I can try that in the future.

Zensō

Major Contributor
I wish this was true of their entire lineup. On Reddit and Head-fi you’ll find thread after thread about poor quality control and failures of all sorts.

markanini

Major Contributor
The Hifiman annoyingly doesnt have the same kind of second hand market and seems to hold RRP far better , so the 800S can be had for a fair bit less, especially if you are prepared to go second hand- and doubly so if you choose the 800 (non S) .
It's remarkable how China based goods get overvalued. That's what internet hype does.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish this was true of their entire lineup. On Reddit and Head-fi you’ll find thread after thread about poor quality control and failures of all sorts.
Oh, I know!

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

+1

Nonetheless, I've decided that ..
My HE-6 is old and some elements are crumbling ...
I am considering replacing it with a new HE-6 SE...:facepalm:
Problem solved

m8o

Forum Donor
This reinforces my anger at myself for not buying these when they were reissued. I have the HE-1000 so shouldn't really care/want. But I do. Thanx for the review.

edahl

I'm guessing this EQ filter would do nicely on the HE1000se, anyone know how similar their response is?

Top Bottom