• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So long, too bad about your nice idea.

h.g.

The problem is disruptive trolling and even some of the "good guys" not adhering to the rule of comment on the post not the poster.
Where is this rule stated? Having established fairly quickly that this does not (currently) look a reasonable place to publish any writings perhaps my main interest here is "audophile objectivists" and how they see things. I have asked Amir until the comms went down and I am currently asking Ethan. Am I trolling because I am interested in the poster or am I talking around the introduced subject?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Gone for a few days and then back to this!

Fight club is crap amir, needs to go. I see the idea but removing threads to there is bad news. We want relevant threads in the relevant area not randomly taken out to the quarantine area because men can't behave like men.

Letting people moderate their own threads will lead to problems, it's a nice idea so let's see if we are responsible enough for this.

What's needed is claims to be argued with certified reason not posturing and frankly pathetic back and forth we have now, and this from the ' scientists ' really pathetic.

One guys makes a claim don't even bother with defining it as per the forum spirit then some other guy challenges it but with the same nonsense as the first guy but insist to see measurements but provides non him self, the resulting back and forth is a surrealism tour de force.

So pull your objectivist fingers out before we have nothing here but common fantasy.. A testament to the ridiculous.

h.g.

Amir has posted on a number of occasions what is acceptable/unacceptable, however yes, perhaps it could be stated more clearly and go out in the member sign up email.
It needs to be written down so that it can be used to guide and resolve things.

The only people I wish to exclude are the ones that pointlessly argue and disrupt.
But who is to judge what is pointless arguing and disruption?

I think we potentially have a very good solution here with OP moderated threads.
I doubt that will work. A normal sensible person posts a carefully constructed correction to a thread by a less sensible person. It is deleted. The normal sensible person is not prepared to accept the deletion of good posts and so stops contributing to the forum. The preachers of nonsense have a good time.

What gets deleted should only be posts that break the forum rules. These rules should be written down and unambiguous. "Good" people are unlikely to get upset about the deletion of posts that break the rules.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It needs to be written down so that it can be used to guide and resolve things.

But who is to judge what is pointless arguing and disruption?

I doubt that will work. A normal sensible person posts a carefully constructed correction to a thread by a less sensible person. It is deleted. The normal sensible person is not prepared to accept the deletion of good posts and so stops contributing to the forum. The preachers of nonsense have a good time.

What gets deleted should only be posts that break the forum rules. These rules should be written down and unambiguous. "Good" people are unlikely to get upset about the deletion of posts that break the rules.

The OP.

The normal sensible person starts their own thread. Other posters avoid the preachers and their threads and follows the sensible person.. The preacher has no capability to disrupt the sensible thread.

Yes people may divide into factions, but at least there is less direct stupid conflict.

I also think there is less likely hood of people engaging in the stupid conflict in the first place if they know that they will just get deleted.

Yes in an ideal world only forum rule breakers should get deleted however the reality is that threads can be easily destroyed by the stupid circular arguments, or off topic nonsense which doesnt necessarily break the rules.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
If guys can't be trusted to behave them selfs and post in the spirit of the forum want good is it giving them more power, it's just more power to act like children. It will cause disharmony. Amir needs to moderate, it's simple, or needs to appoint one of us to do it.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
If guys can't be trusted to behave them selfs and post in the spirit of the forum want good is it giving them more power, it's just more power to act like children. It will cause disharmony. Amir needs to moderate, it's simple, or needs to appoint one of us to do it.

Normal moderation doesnt help either, just look at any other forum. I think it will soon become apparent if some are abusing and deleting normal acceptable posting. Then God (Amir) can get involved.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Well the OP moderation has already been implemented, we can only try it and see. If it doesnt work we can thnk again.
Too many different personalities having power like this will ruin the continuity of the forum. What stops the op from deleting posts from guys he don't like, or humour he don't understand.

This is amirs audio bar, it's his personality that should resonate through the forum. Not some random guys who can't even be trusted to post properly.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
I think the OP thread moderation should work just fine, or I wouldn't have suggested it.:)
So let's see....

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Yea well letting the lunatics run the asylum is a idea.. Not one of you best :D
Well, I didn't suggest it for every forum, seems it will be GA only, which is good.
If someone want adult answers for "what DAC?" etc, they will get them instead of D-K idiocy and PT Barnum salesmen.
Again, lets see, it's only in one forum if I read correctly...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Too many different personalities having power like this will ruin the continuity of the forum. What stops the op from deleting posts from guys he don't like, or humour he don't understand.

This is amirs audio bar, it's his personality that should resonate through the forum. Not some random guys who can't even be trusted to post properly.

Whilst it is possible it can be abused intentionally or unintentionally, I am not convinced it will be a significant problem. Concerns can be raised with Amir.

I shouldnt comment for Amir, but my impression is he simply does not have the time, or wants to moderate in that fashion.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Whilst it is possible it can be abused intentionally or unintentionally, I am not convinced it will be a significant problem. Concerns can be raised with Amir.

I shouldnt comment for Amir, but my impression is he simply does not have the time to moderate in that fashion.
What aspects of life have you been experimenting with this week?

h.g.

Yes people may divide into factions, but at least there is less direct stupid conflict.
Conflict is part of debate. If you want to develop better understanding it is a requirement that people can say "that is wrong because...".

I also think there is less likely hood of people engaging in the stupid conflict in the first place if they know that they will just get deleted.
So you have a forum where nonsense is not opposed and becomes part of the content of the forum. And what proportion of nonsense to sensible content currently exists on audiophile sites?

Yes in an ideal world only forum rule breakers should get deleted however the reality is that threads can be easily destroyed by the stupid circular arguments, or off topic nonsense which doesnt necessarily break the rules.
So create a set of rules so that the types of posts you don't want are in violation of them.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Conflict is part of debate. If you want to develop better understanding it is a requirement that people can say "that is wrong because..

So you have a forum where nonsense is not opposed and becomes part of the content of the forum. And what proportion of nonsense to sensible content currently exists on audiophile sites?

So create a set of rules so that the types of posts you don't want are in violation of them.

You are making the assumption that people will not be allowed to do that, or that the vast majority OPs will automatically be intolerant of any and all disagreement with their POV. I dont think that will be the case.

Nonsense is already part of the forum. It is not opposed at the moment.

That would create an unacceptable moderation workload for Amir. Rules have not prevented any other forum I have seen suffering from the problems.

Top Bottom