• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So long, too bad about your nice idea.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well it was a great idea Amir. It simply isn't worth the bother as it has become. If you work out how to handle disruptive trolls in the future I'll check back in.

Quite simply your problem is explained in this quote:
" the effort required to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude greater than is required to produce it. "

So if you can develop an effective, even handed BS filter for members you can make it work. The first rule of dealing with a crazy person is don't if you can avoid it. You have at least one member to whom that applies IMO.

Good luck.

h.g.

Well it was a great idea Amir. It simply isn't worth the bother as it has become. If you work out how to handle disruptive trolls in the future I'll check back in.
Is the problem really disruptive trolling or is it perhaps more to do with people with a genuine interest in home audio being unprepared and/or unable to reason in a scientific manner about home audio?

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
We have some ideas of giving the OP of the thread ability to either delete or somehow force an in thread ignore on disrupters. I believe in this idea very strongly and it takes the admin work away from Amir............I think its a brilliant idea, lets do it.

tomelex

Forum Donor
Blumlein 88 hang in there for us, but I do understand your feelings, you are appreciated here sir.
Is the problem really disruptive trolling or is it perhaps more to do with people with a genuine interest in home audio being unprepared and/or unable to reason in a scientific manner about home audio?

The problem is disruptive trolling and even some of the "good guys" not adhering to the rule of comment on the post not the poster. I am hoping we are working on that and there have been suggestions, we are in teething stages at this point, I think when we get control we can get on with being a quite appealing site, I am hoping anyways. Look at the first few weeks of postings and then see what happened, we lost it somewhere after that.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

Quite simply your problem is explained in this quote:
" the effort required to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude greater than is required to produce it. "

So if you can develop an effective, even handed BS filter for members you can make it work. The first rule of dealing with a crazy person is don't if you can avoid it. You have at least one member to whom that applies IMO.

Good luck.
Hang in there. We will see if a solution as above is forthcoming.

wgscott

As a scientist by profession, I can assure you it is not that.

wgscott

We have some ideas of giving the OP of the thread ability to either delete or somehow force an in thread ignore on disrupters. I believe in this idea very strongly and it takes the admin work away from Amir............I think its a brilliant idea, lets do it.

I agree this is the way to go. Give the OP the ability to hide (rather than outright censor) off-topic or harmful posts, in order to keep the discussion on topic. For threads where this doesn't matter, then no one needs to intervene. It sounds ideal. Please implement it (or something like it).

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

If they are unwilling to operate as per the forums intent then it is trolling. There are of course those that dont recognise that they are unable to contribute in an appropriate manner, so the OP being able to "turn them off" in their thread is an excellent solution.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
As a scientist by profession, I can assure you it is not that.

I agree with you too. ...It's only a small emotional human natural reaction.

I agree this is the way to go. Give the OP the ability to hide (rather than outright censor) off-topic or harmful posts, in order to keep the discussion on topic. For threads where this doesn't matter, then no one needs to intervene. It sounds ideal. Please implement it (or something like it).

The OP of a thread, the other day said to me: Bob what are you talking about, how is this relevant to the topic?
I deleted my post; he was absolutely right. Simple, he asked me politely and he didn't have to delete my post because I did myself.
I call that smart coaching from the OP. And it helped me, and still now because when reading the last posts of some threads of interest, if I see one my posts that adds nothing to the discussion I'll delete it, as long that no one quoted me or that it doesn't disrupt anything else in the flowing of the thread's discussion.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree with other comments I loved this forum the first little while even with limited activity. Then it became not like other audio forums elsewhere, but worse. I hope you can straighten it out. I think allowing Op some powers of moderation is a good step in the right direction.

Over at CA, there have been at times, an unofficial gentleman's agreement if the OP asked certain types of responses not be part of his thread, most would abide by it. Some of those threads of highly contentious topics worked out pretty nicely. The OP actually had no authority, but it was generally granted as a courtesy between people with conflicting opinions. It has to work both ways. I stayed out of topics when it didn't fit the OP's desired direction or posted very narrow comments within the desired guidelines.

I will continue to check in, but likely will not comment other than in this forum until I think something has been achieved to raise the SNR of the forum. Maybe the satisfaction of how things started made the contrast to how it turned so quickly otherwise that much more noticeable.

I will comment again, I really wish Fight Club would be removed. I still am not clear what purpose it serves other than a public admission of failure on the part of the forum management.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That is a shame bud, I hate to see you go but understand exactly how you feel. My disappointment is equal to yours. Many nice people here but I've also had my fill of the subjectivists crapping on every good thread with their "I hear it, so it is real" bullshit.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just added an extension to enable this. See http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...s-or-limit-early-replies.231/page-2#post-7568

Note that there is no hide ability. You have ultimate power in your own thread to completely delete posts. Once you delete them, they are gone forever.

Mivera

Major Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some people won't have any posts left but their own. May actually be good if they are information rich.
It is something we are going to try. It will only be enabled in the General Discussion forum.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I checked my own thread in the Fight Club section and that little square appears only in my own posts except the first original one, like Opus said before.
No sweat I can delete all my posts from the beginning, and not others. That makes good sense...I think.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I checked my own thread in the Fight Club section and that little square appears only in my own posts except the first original one, like Opus said before.
No sweat I can delete all my posts from the beginning, and not others. That makes good sense...I think.
I have only enabled the feature in the General Discussions Forum. Not sure it makes sense to enable it in Fight club as there OP will become judge and jury then :). But I am open to it.

Opus111

Kinda contrary to the notion of Fight Club that the OP isn't going to stand up and fight for his position:p

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I see the Fight Club section like the Boring section; Audioholics has the off topic section and the most popular thread is I'm bored to death.
Some' like that.

Actually it's the recycling bin...and I have two threads in there now.

* I'm going to start a poll; to see how many members would like to see the seven threads of that section all deleted together. ...And no more Fight Club section. It's like vapor ware.

Tim's thread about inexpensive DACs is a good thread though, only few posts could be deleted and the thread put back in normal traffic.
And same with John's thread, few posts can be deleted.

The five other threads...they can go forever to heaven with the piano player up there above his cloud.

Last edited:

h.g.

If they are unwilling to operate as per the forums intent then it is trolling.
What is the forum's intent? If it is written down I have not found it and I have looked albeit briefly. The blurb at the top clearly welcomes audiophile-subjectivist, audiophile-objectivist and others. So how is whatever group you wish to exclude to know they are excluded?

This forum is going in exactly the same direction as every other audiophile forum that is not adequately moderated to encourage one group of home audio enthusiasts and exclude others. It is early days but the believers and unbelievers are starting to preach at each other, the temperature is rising in spots here and there which will grow, those without an interest in the shouting are thinking about leaving which gives the shouters more room, and so it goes...

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
What is the forum's intent? If it is written down I have not found it and I have looked albeit briefly. The blurb at the top clearly welcomes audiophile-subjectivist, audiophile-objectivist and others. So how is whatever group you wish to exclude to know they are excluded?

This forum is going in exactly the same direction as every other audiophile forum that is not adequately moderated to encourage one group of home audio enthusiasts and exclude others. It is early days but the believers and unbelievers are starting to preach at each other, the temperature is rising in spots here and there which will grow, those without an interest in the shouting are thinking about leaving which gives the shouters more room, and so it goes...

Audio science, not unsupported subjective ramblings. Subjectivists are welcome, but not to say "I hear it therefore it is".

Amir has posted on a number of occasions what is acceptable/unacceptable, however yes, perhaps it could be stated more clearly and go out in the member sign up email.

The only people I wish to exclude are the ones that pointlessly argue and disrupt. Yes I agree with your latter points which is why we have to do something different to every other forum out there. I think we potentially have a very good solution here with OP moderated threads.

Top Bottom