• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any thoughts on Subwoofers? Measurements and accuracy?

wrigglycheese

Looking at adding a bit more weight to my Concept 20 speakers, I have a SUB OUT on my SMSL SA300 - shame no high pass filter but I don't want to pay the extra for an A/V receiver and I also absolutely ONLY want stereo.

If there is one place complete accuracy does interest me it's below 80hz however as I have been down this path before I am well aware the room is often THE BIGGEST HURDLE.

That being said any thoughts from the experts on here about the Kanto SUB8 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DPRY...olid=31LM2QMCG3Z1Y&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

(the reason I want 8inch [10MAX] is because at this price range 8 is gonna be more accurate at 40-80hz and I have absolutely no interest in bass below 30-35hz)

Also any thoughts on BK subs I would be fascinated by.

Random relevant info possibly: I am a former enthusiast, my last SUB was a Paradigm Signature SUB1 with PBK and an Anthem AMP with ARC. I am NOT going down this path again LOL

Just wanna learn a bit and get some opinions and thoughts, that don't involve the obvious (I can not demo, and it's useless anyway unless it's in home)

OK hopefully that's enough info to get this rolling. Oh and of course the demo will be in home after I have purchased and can return the item, the point of my trying to get some impressions is buying and returning audio equipment, specially heavy stuff, is a pest, so I want to ATTEMPT to get an impression from experts and form an EDUCATED GUESS, BEFORE, purchase, again, I hope I am making some sense.

Thank you!

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

Decided on a Rel T5i

I think this will turn my lovely Concept 20 speakers in to what I want. .....

Concept 20 speakers, with a bit more slam and slightly extended low end. :)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

Pretty much.

Haven't bought it yet it just seemed to be a good choice for my needs so that's the one I decided on - going mostly on intuition tbh

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much.

Haven't bought it yet it just seemed to be a good choice for my needs so that's the oen I decided on - going mostly on intuition tbh

Not wishing to sound rude, but why bother posting these questions here at all? You've not exactly canvassed a wide range of opinion. Care to enlighten as to the thought processes behind supplementing £200 speakers with a £500 sub?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looking at adding a bit more weight to my Concept 20 speakers, I have a SUB OUT on my SMSL SA300 - shame no high pass filter but I don't want to pay the extra for an A/V receiver and I also absolutely ONLY want stereo.

If there is one place complete accuracy does interest me it's below 80hz however as I have been down this path before I am well aware the room is often THE BIGGEST HURDLE.

That being said any thoughts from the experts on here about the Kanto SUB8 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DPRY...olid=31LM2QMCG3Z1Y&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

(the reason I want 8inch [10MAX] is because at this price range 8 is gonna be more accurate at 40-80hz and I have absolutely no interest in bass below 30-35hz)

Also any thoughts on BK subs I would be fascinated by.

Random relevant info possibly: I am a former enthusiast, my last SUB was a Paradigm Signature SUB1 with PBK and an Anthem AMP with ARC. I am NOT going down this path again LOL

Just wanna learn a bit and get some opinions and thoughts, that don't involve the obvious (I can not demo, and it's useless anyway unless it's in home)

OK hopefully that's enough info to get this rolling. Oh and of course the demo will be in home after I have purchased and can return the item, the point of my trying to get some impressions is buying and returning audio equipment, specially heavy stuff, is a pest, so I want to ATTEMPT to get an impression from experts and form an EDUCATED GUESS, BEFORE, purchase, again, I hope I am making some sense.

Thank you!
Decided on a Rel T5i

I think this will turn my lovely Concept 20 speakers in to what I want. .....

Concept 20 speakers, with a bit more slam and slightly extended low end. :)
Not sure why you think an 8'' or 10'' sub will be more accurate from 40hz-80hz than any larger sub, sounds like a personal choice rather than anything proven to be factual.
Instead of over paying for the Rel, sounds like the RSL 10s speedwoofer would fit your described needs and save some money in the process.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Because buying audio online is awkward and if I buy the Kanto I will probably think hmm that sounds good..... I wonder if the REL I heard so many good things about is EVEN BETTER!

Same old really. Figured I'd just go straight to the REL - I'll probably like it, KNOW it's cost me my absolute max so I can't jump up again, and sit there enjoying it instead of wondering.

SOMETHING LIKE THAT REALLY

And yeah I know you're not 'wishing to sound rude' you are far worse than rude. You're not directly rude, you're just a cunt on the quiet.

I mean alternatively considering the amount of money I am almost spending as a whole, I could always maybe send the concept 20's back and buy a floorstander of equal quality, something that does basically the same but digs a little deeper, really like the concept 20's so wouldn;t want to step down for the sake of more extension down low though.

It's a TOUGH ONE - OOPS CAPS LOCK MALFUNCTIONING AGAIN

You also alluded to the concept 20's being a £200 speaker.
Be civil. And I allude to nothing. https://petertyson.co.uk/q-acoustic...i9YmXi3OoomWpxHiP0i--MhP_bLUKZ5waAgFOEALw_wcB

Aerith Gainsborough

I am well aware the room is often THE BIGGEST HURDLE.
If you are aware of your rooms issues, then why obsess about accuracy of the driver in question?

If you buy a well designed sub, I doubt you will notice much difference between the models in a typical home environment.

Personally, I am going to try the Arendal 1723 Sub 1S (probably too big for you). To me, DSP capability is a must in any subwoofer, especially for folks that do not have DSP control at the source. Will be curious how it'll work out, so to some extent, it's a shot in the dark. I guess buying a sub always is because rooms behave so wildly differently.

PS: Sub + Bookshelf > Floorstander, because of the simple fact that you can place the sub in a position at which your room reacts best to bass. usually you cannot do that with a stereo pair of speakers.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Personally, I am going to try the Arendal 1723 Sub 1S (probably too big for you). To me, DSP capability is a must in any subwoofer, especially for folks that do not have DSP control at the source. Will be curious how it'll work out, so to some extent, it's a shot in the dark. I guess buying a sub always is because rooms behave so wildly differently.
I bought that one too. It's excellent.

Advice to @wrigglycheese is buy the biggest sub you can (by volume), with the biggest driver and strongest amplifier, that has DSP and hopefully both XLR and RCA inputs. The CEA2010 results will give you some sense of the output you can expect. Being based in Europe it's hard to ignore Arendal Sound, although if you have space limitations some nice actives and their accompanying subwoofers would serve you well.

Maybe some users find it easier to do integration outside of the sub, either with dedicated units or through a computer, but I've found that it's a lot simpler to have built-in DSP.

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

If you are aware of your rooms issues, then why obsess about accuracy of the driver in question?

If you buy a well designed sub, I doubt you will notice much difference between the models in a typical home environment.

PS: Sub + Bookshelf > Floorstander, because of the simple fact that you can place the sub in a position at which your room reacts best to bass. usually you cannot do that with a stereo pair of speakers.

Really good reply cheers.

Slayer

Maybe something like this?

https://www.paradigm.com/en/ported/defiance-v10

Nice small subwoofer and it has Anthem Room Correction build in it.
Why? It should be all about getting the best performance for the dollar that you can get.
I listed the RSL 10s because it meets his needs and is cheaper than the REL.
A better value would be the Monolith 10'' THX sub, goes on sale every other week and outperforms the subs we discussed. Still an awesome value at the reg price of $499. Great connection options, built in DSP, more power, can't be over driven, built like a tank. Plus it has measured very well, all the testers have been extremely surprised by it's performance.
Monolith by Monoprice 10in THX Select Certified Subwoofer Amplifier - Monoprice.com

ck42

Forum Donor
An 8" sub you say?
How about 2? SVS 3000 micro. :eek:
A little more money...but ticks all the boxes for you otherwise.

Or my vote would be for the new SVS SB1000 Pro. Same $500 price as the T5i

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

Why? It should be all about getting the best performance for the dollar that you can get.
I listed the RSL 10s because it meets his needs and is cheaper than the REL.
A better value would be the Monolith 10'' THX sub, goes on sale every other week and outperforms the subs we discussed. Still an awesome value at the reg price of $499. Great connection options, built in DSP, more power, can't be over driven, built like a tank. Plus it has measured very well, all the testers have been extremely surprised by it's performance.
Monolith by Monoprice 10in THX Select Certified Subwoofer Amplifier - Monoprice.com

Thank you very much - I am in the UK. I would also prefer sealed box

OP
wrigglycheese

wrigglycheese

An 8" sub you say?
How about 2? SVS 3000 micro. :eek:
A little more money...but ticks all the boxes for you otherwise.

Or my vote would be for the new SVS SB1000 Pro. Same $500 price as the T5i

It's difficult I have 'heard' the REL is more musical, AKA, articulate then SVS. I am new to mesurements but there's more to reproduction than db at particular frequencies is there? Articulation and speed HAS to be a factor at the driver level ?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's difficult I have 'heard' the REL is more musical, AKA, articulate then SVS. I am new to mesurements but there's more to reproduction than db at particular frequencies is there? Articulation and speed HAS to be a factor at the driver level ?

Just how did you determine this? Like the small driver or sealed thing being "better"?

Top Bottom