• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Anyone wishing to extend the range of the remote from the stock 8 feet distance, to 10/12 feet. Take the remote apart and wrap the sender in aluminium foil, insulate the 2 exposed legs first.
image.jpg

:)

DHT 845

DHT 845

Which LPSU would you recommend to get less than 0.2uV of ripple ?
I don't know. Maybe I am wrongly prejudiced against SMPS. Still have in memory NAD m51 DAC sound, very poor DAC, grey, fuzzy. But also one DAC that costs ab. $11.000 with SMPS that sounded similar (and was beaten by old MBL CD player so badly).

misterdog

Though curiosity killed the cat, or in my case made me buy a Benchmark AHB2.

End game - me thinks.

All those extra zero's in THD+N may seem to be inaudible, and hence seem unnecessary to some, but mean the level of engineering is exemplary. Resulting in superior sound quality.

DHT 845

I thought about benchmark LA4, much more expensive than Pre90.

misterdog

Again these spikes are all outside the audio band. So should be irrelevant ?

pma

Major Contributor
Maybe not all SMPS are equal ?
Look at the chart showing noise from AHB2 (green) and Hypex NC400 (red).

The big red 460 kHz "spike" is not a product of the SMPS. It is a carrier frequency of Hypex PWM modulator which is not entirely attenuated by the output LC filter. Every class D amp by now is doing this.

misterdog

Every class D amp by now is doing this.

Apart from those damn Yanks ?

Plenty of other spikes also. The large rise at 70K looks more of concern as it is closer to the audio band. Though this is all conjecture.

I have had both Hypex NC400 and now Benchmark AHB2 both with Quad 989 ESL speakers.
The precision of the Benchmark is greater.

Last edited:

fmplayer

I own a Pre90 now and will try this week end to connect my BD and TV to the DAC.
FWIW, XLR connections highly recommended. It adds some flesh and a better defined bass.

fmplayer

Thank you for your reply. I agree totally.
Speaking of high end: I have ordered a X16 two weeks ago, just to see if there is a notable improvement to my Apogee PSX 100 and I am curious, if new designs for the pre will improve the experience in comparison to my Convergent SL-1Tubepre. Btw, the X16 has 300 Ohm out, the p90 2kOhm in, the smls400, as I learned over 1kOhm out. I think, I am going with the Gustard p26 with solid 47k in...
Btw, the single ended in is occupied with a TEAC 2000 reel to reel..
I have a Conrad Johnson Premier Two somewhere, but I don't even think of connecting it to compare. Sure, it could sound more beautiful or pleasant, but that's not my point which is "true to record making".

DHT 845

misterdog

Though it sounds considerably better than my -120dB Bruno Putzeys designed preamp with it's linear power supply.
My SMSL M400 DAC (SMPS) with -138dB sounds considerably better than my previous one. I actually nearly didn't buy that when I saw the size of the SMPS onboard.

So anything less than -115dB is irrelevant because it's below the threshold of audibility, and linear power supplies are best.
I used to think this way, until I tried it.
Why then does this new kit sound so much better ?

DHT 845

Maybe PS has more peak power capability or the chips used in Pre90 are efficient and there is enough of power headroom over circuit needs (?)...

DHT 845

Wow! The Pre90 sounds great! It is smooth in midrange, mids have breath, depth and width, instruments have more obviuos placement and air around, vocals are so natural, human like. High frequencies are incredibly good, zero harsh, zero grain, black background, there is speed when needed but also the calmness as well, very refined sound indeed (for ex. wood sounds as wood). The music is full bodied without muddiness. Pace and rhythm are great as well which is not so common. I cannot point anything weak in the sound of this small gem yet. This preamp definately stays with me.

Veri

Master Contributor
Wow! The Pre90 sounds great! It is smooth in midrange, mids have breath, depth and width, instruments have more obviuos placement and air around, vocals are so natural, human like. High frequencies are incredibly good, zero harsh, zero grain, black background, there is speed when needed but also the calmness as well, very refined sound indeed (for ex. wood sounds as wood). The music is full bodied without muddiness. Pace and rhythm are great as well which is not so common. I cannot point anything weak in the sound of this small gem yet. This preamp definately stays with me.
Good to hear. I hope your dislike of SMPS might have gone just a little.. :)

DHT 845

Good to hear. I hope your dislike of SMPS might have gone just a little.. :)
There are no obviuos truths in this hobby. This is the best SMPS device I've heard. There is no greyness or fuzziness in the sound.

Dodenau

Wow! The Pre90 sounds great! It is smooth in midrange, mids have breath, depth and width, instruments have more obviuos placement and air around, vocals are so natural, human like. High frequencies are incredibly good, zero harsh, zero grain, black background, there is speed when needed but also the calmness as well, very refined sound indeed (for ex. wood sounds as wood). The music is full bodied without muddiness. Pace and rhythm are great as well which is not so common. I cannot point anything weak in the sound of this small gem yet. This preamp definately stays with me.[/QUOT
Gratulation. I have altered my decision too and instead of the Gustard Pre, I gonna order the Topping Pre. I am very curious how it will perform in my settings...

misterdog

There are no obviuos truths in this hobby. This is the best SMPS device I've heard. There is no greyness or fuzziness in the sound.

Just need to pair it with an AHB2 now, with the money you saved not buying the Benchmark Pre ;)

Top Bottom