• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm sure it will. I just need something well made and basic. This fits the bill.
Consider swapping the knob for something with more heft btw, some posts in this thread with recommendations. That makes the Atom a bit more premium to use.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Tortie

Forum Donor

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Tortie

Forum Donor

Lupin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered two pieces of a different one on eBay a while ago and it stated a delivery time up to 2 months. In the end I received it after 3 weeks.
Amazing that they can send a $2,69 item half way around the world for $1.45 in 3 weeks ;)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Consider swapping the knob for something with more heft btw, some posts in this thread with recommendations. That makes the Atom a bit more premium to use.

If you have a "decommissioned" Topping L30, that knob fits fine. Not more heft but metal skin and red trim ring.

Tortie

Forum Donor
I ordered two pieces of a different one on eBay a while ago and it stated a delivery time up to 2 months. In the end I received it after 3 weeks.
Amazing that they can send a $2,69 item half way around the world for $1.45 in 3 weeks ;)

The transit times weren't that bad prior to Covid. Maybe things are back to normal on that front but I ran into problems last year with multiple orders from China.

Tortie

Forum Donor
My new Atom amp arrived today and it doesn't work. I not hear any sound. Never mind it work and so far I like it. The Atom has a cleaner punchier sound and drives the HD650 better. I'm at lower volume knob positions across all albums. Feels like there's more headroom and power on tap than I would ever need.

Last edited:

Tortie

Forum Donor
I recently returned an Asgard 3 that I was dissatisfied with. It may have been defective. The problem I experienced with Asgard was subdued output power. The Atom does not have that issue. I'm now getting very solid volume with plenty of headroom for my 300ohm HD650 out of the Atom. For instance I can play Fleetwood Mac's Rumors album to a comfortably loud level at 10 o'clock with the Atom vs 12 o'clock with the Asgard. Seem's like quite a difference and yes, this with high gain on both units. For an album of Shostakovich's Babi Yar that required a 3-4 o'clock volume position range for the slow inner movements on the Asgard I can now reach the equivalent volume level at 1-2 o'clock on the Atom.

Concerning my impressions of the sonic characteristics, the Atom exhibits a clear and musical sound. Very enjoyable and lively. The Atom is extremely transparent and resolving. It's punchy but not to a fatiguing extent. Bass is palpable and yet clean. The vocals, drums, guitar, and keyboard on the Rumors album sound incredibly natural and vivid out of the Atom. Christine McVie's voice in Songbird sounds so incredibly natural.

The diminutive form factor of the Atom reminds me of the older Roku boxes. I like it's unassuming appearance. The top and bottom only get slightly warm after two hours of music playing. It's reasonably easy to see the white mark on the volume knob. The case is, I believe, plastic. Light softly illuminates from the behind volume knob. Looking at the Atom straight on I can't see the light directly which should keep it from being an annoyance when it's in line of sight. The white mark is reasonably easy to see. It was difficult for me to see the pitted notch on the Asgard knob without very good lighting and tilting my head like a contortionist. The Atom vol knob does seem cheap. There's not much depth to it for adult fingers to grasp onto and no knurl. It's still functional but I'll roll the dice and order an inexpensive knurled vol knob replacement direct from China as was suggested to me by another ASR member.

Well I'm glad my HD650 are now useful once again. Over the past few years I have vacillated over whether to sell the Senn. Been a pain trying to find an amplifier that brings out it's qualities. I should get my repaired Sony Z7 cable back from the shop soon and will add some Atom+Z7 impressions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom