• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of New JDS Labs Atom Headphone Amp

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
found it just as you posted, measures close to the Plus. Same question, though. Would I be good enough with this or should I look for something better & more recent?
If you've already got the DACMagic 100 then I don't think there's much to be gained from buying a new DAC, unless you want/need a remote or other features.

It's true that there are cheap-end DACs with better measurements, but I don't think you'd get any audible improvements with those over the Cambridge. Should pair nicely with the Atom amp.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
If you've already got the DACMagic 100 then I don't think there's much to be gained from buying a new DAC, unless you want/need a remote or other features.

It's true that there are cheap-end DACs with better measurements, but I don't think you'd get any audible improvements with those over the Cambridge. Should pair nicely with the Atom amp.

Thank you. I guess I was wondering if I might be better pairing with the Atom Dac.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
found it just as you posted, measures close to the Plus. Same question, though. Would I be good enough with this or should I look for something better & more recent?
I think the conclusion of the review covers it nicely.
Conclusions
There has been recent development in the $110 to $130 range in desktop DACs where you get near state-of-the-art performance with such useful features as remote control. So it doesn't make sense to recommend the DacMagic 100 in that context. If you have one though, or can get one used then it is a fine DAC with solid build.

Fernando

Forum Donor
Imagine a Qudelix 5K implemented in this magnificent headamp.
It would be the bomb and a best seller !!

LegionOfHell

whats the maximum power output at the following impedances:?

16 ohms
32 ohms
50 ohms
300 ohms
600 ohms

Many Thanks

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
whats the maximum power output at the following impedances:?

16 ohms
32 ohms
50 ohms
300 ohms
600 ohms

Many Thanks

From the JDS website:

• Max Continuous Power @ 600Ω125mW (8.68 VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 150Ω502 mW (8.66 VRMS)
  • Max Continuous Power @ 32Ω1 Watt (5.66 VRMS)
Hope that helps somewhat

LegionOfHell

Does the Atom have enough power to drive the following headphones properly:

DT990 Pro
HD660S
HD600
HD650
HE400
T50RPMK3
Grado SR225i

??

Is there a headphone it can NOT drive ? if so, which ones ?

LegionOfHell

you can look those headphones up here

the quick answer is 'yes', easy peasy

Why are the impedances a bit off ? The link you posted says that HE-400 has an impedance of 38 ohms...A quick search on google reveals that it is 35 and not 38 ??!!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When the numbers are off they are actually measured impedances. It is very rare to see actual impedances and specs actually match. Some do though, most ore slightly off. Also depends on how impedances are measured (frequency)

Last edited:

guildenstern

Thoughts on the Atom vs the Schiit Heresy pleez.
I have both and like both. I can't offer a "one is better than the other" recommendation. Both amps (on low gain, fed by PC USB to Modi 3, with music from NAS or Qobuz) do a great job driving Sennheiser 6XX. If pushed to make a subjective comparison--not a scientific level-matched test--I'd say that that to me the Heresy sounds a little more energetic, the Atom a little more relaxed, and that's relative to each other, not in absolute terms. For longer listening sessions, I find myself usually settling in with the Atom.

LegionOfHell

Thoughts on the Atom vs the Schiit Heresy pleez.

At 300 ohms with high gain:
(1) Heresy has lower distortion than atom.
(2) Heresy has more power than atom.

At 33 ohms with high gain:
(1) atom has lower distortion than Heresy.
(2) Heresy has twice the power of atom!!

guildenstern

Yep, Heresy has more power--though I, for one, never really tap into it. Even with my 6XX, I use low gain, and rarely turn the volume past 10:00 or 11:00. For headphones that eat power, or for users who consistently listen at Amir-testing levels :), Heresy might be the better choice. For my 6XX and for a set Beyerdynamics I use, both Heresy and Atom provide more than enough power on low gain.

MarylandUSA

All my headphones are sensitive. I was going to buy a JDS Labs Objective2 and remove two resistors to turn its 2.5X/6.5X gain into 1X/2.5X. But the company informs me I can buy a 1X/2.5X Atom by asking for those gain settings in my shipping notes. Why on earth don't they mention this option on the Atom page?

Veri

Master Contributor
All my headphones are sensitive. I was going to buy a JDS Labs Objective2 and remove two resistors to turn its 2.5X/6.5X gain into 1X/2.5X. But the company informs me I can buy a 1X/2.5X Atom by asking for those gain settings in my shipping notes. Why on earth don't they mention this option on the Atom page?
I think they offer to customize a unit for you as a gesture. I'd find that appealing, really. And I'm not surprised, JDS Labs are just good dudes.

MrOtto

"At the cost of higher distortion"

Top Bottom