• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have actually sent topping an email about these 9038 Hump's in the THD, and showed them the results that Amir found with the Pro-ject Head Box using the 9038.
They told me that they will reproduce the issue and attempt to fix it or disable the THD mitigation if they are unable to before the official launch.
These guys are really proactive!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks for comparing USB vs. S/PDIF. Would have loved to see the same for DX7s, but I understand why you put in the extra effort for this DAC given it is USB powered.
I'm sure he will test the DX7 and DX7S again now that the has the linearity test working on USB.
Not sure how long that will take him or when he will do it, but I'm sure it will happen at some point. Probably when hes comparing another device side by side.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it make sense to do a poll to see the distribution of users against the input types? I think most people use USB but I could be wrong. If most people do use USB input, I am worried that S/PDIF only tests don't tell us the whole story given the nature of async USB versus being at the mercy of an external clock.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I realize most people want to know the USB performance, myself included. It is just that at this point in time, I don't have all the tests running with USB. The key one was linearity. Once I get that finalized, I can switch to most of the tests being USB. USB is also a lot more time consuming to run so when I am under pressure to get data out :), you will see more S/PDIF results.

Wombat

Master Contributor
More precious than Bitcoin. "Hey, I've got a Round Tuit". :D

A Round Tuit.jpg

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have actually sent topping an email about these 9038 Hump's in the THD, and showed them the results that Amir found with the Pro-ject Head Box using the 9038.
They told me that they will reproduce the issue and attempt to fix it or disable the THD mitigation if they are unable to before the official launch.
These guys are really proactive!
Let's hope it will be a simple firmware update, and they will also provide one for the DX7s!
(together with a calibration feature to counter the imbalance, that would be the best!)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Note charging ports are usually 1.5 A up to 5 A max though I do not think I have seen one over 3 A. I am tempted to buy a cell-phone charger and add an inline output filter.

Give it a really audioteric name and cash in Don.

VanNeumann

I know one of the members had suggested getting a group-buy going in a earlier post. Ironically, I had already sent Topping message about this and they replied to me yesterday that they are not equipped to handle group buys at the moment. Of course, it is possible that if we get a large enough group that they may find a way.

However, Topping did say that there will be a sale ("discount") on the DX7s and DX50 at the end of this month. I emailed them back to make sure that the DX50 would be included and available by that time, but I have not heard back.

If need be we can start a new thread on ordering Topping products, but wasn't sure if it was necessary given their lack of a direct sales department or process.

Wombat

Master Contributor
ASR bulk buy vs independence. I'd go for independence(integrity).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I already have stuff.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Hey Amir, what is the blue box of varying sizes in the AP's screen grabs?

ap screen grab.JPG

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good eye. :)

It is a bug in their software. I just tell it to copy that panel to clipboard and it corrupts that part of the capture for some reason.

Use the Windows Snipping Tool perhaps?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
While looking at the motherboard I realized there are dedicated power regulators installed, instead of a 9V or 12V cheap SMPS PSU followed by a rail splitter via DC-DC buck or boost converters. Probably this is why this DAC has such a low noise-floor, THD as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Use the Windows Snipping Tool perhaps?
I used to do that. Unfortunately the snipping tool captures the entire app or I have to manually select that Window by dragging a rectangle which is a pain. It can't just capture that one window.

Top Bottom