• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel F208 Tower Speaker Review

steve59

Major Contributor
I listened to the f208 against the similar priced f32 and the difference between the two wasn’t small. The 208 had a much bigger and brighter midrange that sounded more natural, the speaker as a whole sounded more complete doing a better disappearing act. I wasn’t shopping speakers that day but liked what I heard enough to buy the anthem 225i driving them that day.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got them inboxes and just started listening. Such an improvement over any speaker I've owned- by a long shot. Unfortunately one was cracked at the base but they are going to exchange it for an undamaged one.
20210102_155714.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, but they sound so good. The imaging is incredible.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know. But the cosmetic damage hurt. I know they will replace, but it still ruins the "moment."
True... but damn did Norah Jones sound good! I've never heard vocals sound this natural.

tuga

Major Contributor
True... but damn did Norah Jones sound good! I've never heard vocals sound this natural.

Norah Jones was close-mic'ed, her voice may sound "good", but natural?

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Norah Jones was close-mic'ed, her voice may sound "good", but natural?

Yes. As if she were singing sitting directly in front of me. I believe it's to create the impression it does-that she's in an intimate setting with the listener-and it works. Whatever you think or believe or feel I enjoy her music and how it sounds through these speakers. Period.

steve59

Major Contributor
Listen to Imelda May 'call me' after you get tired of norah jones on loop. Santana 'while my guitar gently weeps' is another good one for when the neighbors drop in.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Listen to Imelda May 'call me' after you get tired of norah jones on loop. Santana 'while my guitar gently weeps' is another good one for when the neighbors drop in.
Just did- been awhile since I listened to that version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" but have never heard Imelda May. That's a well recorded song- really showcases the 208's best qualities. Thanks for the recommendation.

gribs

Random question about the 208's - and apologies if this is a dumb question as I'm very new here. I'm looking at pairing the 208's with the Musical Fidelity m6si which I think is 220 wpc at 8 ohms. Would this amplifier have enough juice to power these speakers? I'm torn between getting these where I'd be in the middle of their recommended watt per channel recommendation ... or the 206's where I'd be on the high-end. I'm just concerned the 206's won't have enough "oomph" for that room.

I don't think they publish 4 ohm wpc for the Musical Fidelity m6si but on Crutchfield they say it's 400 wpc at 4 ohm. I'd be listening in a largish room (19 x 17) with a high ceiling but never listen at a very high volume - mainly jazz/classic rock/soul r&b/classical. I wouldn't be pairing these with any sub so they'd need to be adequate by themselves bass-wise.

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED as I don't know how to interpret these graphs and buy new stereo equipment about once every 10-15 years!

-Geoff

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Random question about the 208's - and apologies if this is a dumb question as I'm very new here. I'm looking at pairing the 208's with the Musical Fidelity m6si which I think is 220 wpc at 8 ohms. Would this amplifier have enough juice to power these speakers? I'm torn between getting these where I'd be in the middle of their recommended watt per channel recommendation ... or the 206's where I'd be on the high-end. I'm just concerned the 206's won't have enough "oomph" for that room.

I don't think they publish 4 ohm wpc for the Musical Fidelity m6si but on Crutchfield they say it's 400 wpc at 4 ohm. I'd be listening in a largish room (19 x 17) with a high ceiling but never listen at a very high volume - mainly jazz/classic rock/soul r&b/classical. I wouldn't be pairing these with any sub so they'd need to be adequate by themselves bass-wise.

Any help would be MUCH APPRECIATED as I don't know how to interpret these graphs and buy new stereo equipment about once every 10-15 years!

-Geoff

If you can afford it, I would definitely go for the 208 if you're not gonna be pairing with subs. As a bonus, the 208s also measure a bit better than the 206, so they'll be a little bit higher fidelity, though I'm guessing that difference is not huge.

gribs

If you can afford it, I would definitely go for the 208 if you're not gonna be pairing with subs. As a bonus, the 208s also measure a bit better than the 206, so they'll be a little bit higher fidelity, though I'm guessing that difference is not huge.

Appreciate the reply. Yes - I have budget for either. So you think 220 watts at 8 ohms is fine for those? I just don't want to have them underpowered.

seedragon

Forum Donor

-Geoff
I'm running 208s in an approximately 4500 cu ft room with 800 wpc into 4 ohm for the front stage (the 208s dip down to ~3.7 ohm per Amir's measurements), but I think that's way more power than I'll ever need. I think 400 wpc into 4 ohm will be more than enough unless you plan to open the windows and play a concert for your neighbors. The only thing I would make sure is that amp is rated at full bandwidth, not something like 1khz. If it puts out 400 wpc into 4 ohm continuous with full bandwidth and low THD, then I think you're good to go!

On the question of 208s vs. 206s, I auditioned the 206 at the dealer and ended up with the 208. The 208 renders a larger soundstage with more perceived depth because of its mid/low output. Everyone here told me go 208s and I'm glad I did. They are the best speakers I have owned.

Last edited:

nimar

Forum Donor

-Geoff

I'm currently in the long wait for a delivery of F208's and have a similarly powerful amp (400W/4ohm / 227W/8ohm) and from what I've read many people have a similar setup and its more than enough power for the 208's. I was also on the fence between the two, with the same question and in the end it seems the power spec's are always an estimation, and likely relate to the highest loudness potential. But for your normal listening levels the f208's are actually more efficient than the 206's so should be using less power.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

-Geoff

How big is your room, what is your listening distance, and how loud do you listen?

The short answer is that you are fine with that amount of power, but we can calculate how much you actually need.

alashikata

I think it's require at least 50wpc. However, I ran with 300wpc with a room 18x20x 10ft ceiling. I tested both 300wpc and 400 wpc, the 300wpc does fine even at 40% volume.

steve59

Major Contributor
I would pick the 8" woofers. It would be cool to hear what a rear ported pair sounded like.

Top Bottom