• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR pre-amp

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Not currently using subs, but I like the idea of being able to in the future.
The sub integration with the STR seems effective and it also makes phase adjustments .

I'm not sure how audible the phase adjustments were tbh. Still its some fancy thing to help cool the nerves after spending a load of dosh..

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The sub integration with the STR seems effective and it also makes phase adjustments .

I'm not sure how audible the phase adjustments were tbh. Still its some fancy thing to help cool the nerves after spending a load of dosh..
The phase adjustment for the sub is very audible as if its wrong it will cause a null at the crossover frequency if the sub is out of phase there.

The phase adjustment is to ensure flatter amplitude response.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The phase adjustment for the sub is very audible as if its wrong it will cause a null at the crossover frequency if the sub is out of phase there.

The phase adjustment is to ensure flatter amplitude response.
Well I never did a before and after compassion or measurement.

It would be cool to see a rew measurement of this , before phase correction and after to see just how ' audible ' it might be.

ZubairA

Joined the Anthem STR club. Of the units that can optimize a 2.2 stereo system while allowing for relatively seamless HT bypass this seems to be the least compromised. So far , so good and it solved my HT ground loop problem too. This one box replaced a Benchmark DAC3, A JL CR-1 crossover and a miniDSP DDRC-22D Dirac unit. Only problem is a mostly empty rack, any suggestions?

Great setup!

What gain setting are you using on the Benchmark?

Regards,

Zubair

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great setup!

What gain setting are you using on the Benchmark?

Regards,

Zubair

For the STR , the middle gain setting should be used on the AHB2. I don't have an STR in my system anymore but still think its a great unit.

Wayne

ZubairA

For the STR , the middle gain setting should be used on the AHB2. I don't have an STR in my system anymore but still think its a great unit.

Wayne

Thank you for the quick reply!

I have been enjoying the STR pre with an Anthem MCA 525 and will be auditioning the Benchmark to see how things go. Not sure if there will be much of a difference.

If you don't mind my asking, why did you decide to move away from the STR?

Regards,

Zubair

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I have been enjoying the STR pre with an Anthem MCA 525 and will be auditioning the Benchmark to see how things go. Not sure if there will be much of a difference.

Regards,

Zubair
For my simple two input system (streamer or AVR). The AXR RS-1 xlr switch freed me up to use a higher SINAD DAC (Okto DAC8 pro). See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/chasing-sinad.17420/

rhollan

That is very nice to hear, since I'm thinking to simplify my separates setup, which would allow me to get away from the dreadfully measuring PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/pre-amp that I bought before I found this site and found Amirm's test of it. I am assuming that the SINAD measurement for the Anthem STR Integrated is better than the abysmal 58 score of the PS Audio. If not, then there's no point switching, right? This would also allow me to run my turntable into the STR Integrated instead of into my AVR as I am now doing.

Now, as to home theater bypass, I thought I read that the Integrated does indeed have it. If not, then it does me no good in my audio/video setup.
It does but only Left and Right inputs. And the crossover is disabled when using it (at least the subwoofer out is). So if you have separate subs for HT and music, this is a viable option. The preamp does not have this limitation and has stereo HT bypass subwoofer inputs.

It looks like a nice preamp with 100 dB SINAD for digital inputs and 96 dB for analog. Still, a modern pre/pro like the Monoprice HTP-1 or Emotiva RMC-1 can reach those levels, so why bother unless you are integrating a lousy HT processor at which point you'd have enough cash to replace it instead of getting this.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It does but only Left and Right inputs. And the crossover is disabled when using it (at least the subwoofer out is). So if you have separate subs for HT and music, this is a viable option. The preamp does not have this limitation and has stereo HT bypass subwoofer inputs.

It looks like a nice preamp with 100 dB SINAD for digital inputs and 96 dB for analog. Still, a modern pre/pro like the Monoprice HTP-1 or Emotiva RMC-1 can reach those levels, so why bother unless you are integrating a lousy HT processor at which point you'd have enough cash to replace it instead of getting this.
Thanks, the STR has both MM and MC phono inputs, with a lot of loading options.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor

Regards,

Zubair
I've had an interesting experience with the AHB2 amp(s) and the STR preamp. I do not know why but when using one amp in stereo mode the speaker output is low enough that the ARC program has to set all speaker levels (mains/subs) to maximum (+12). When I use two of the amps, each in bridge mode, speaker output is substantially greater and speaker levels are changed very little. I can't say I notice a sq difference but a volume output difference is very noticeable. With two amps -20 is VERY LOUD whereas it is easy to listen at -20 with one amp. The system is node2i digital out to STR pre/AHB amp(s)/Revel 106be speakers/a pair of JLA f112v2 subs.
I've attached .pdf files of the results with one amp and with two amps. Notice in particular the right speaker; ARC is more effective when two amps are used. This may all be inaudible and the reasons are above my pay grade but I find it fascinating. One AHB2 in stereo mode should be more than sufficient to drive these easy to drive speakers, esp with support from the subs. It's tempting to conclude that obviously two of the amps are much more powerful, greater output, etc but my point is that ONE amp should drive the speakers sufficiently to not require maximum level boost. I believe the program would boost them even further if it could (+12 is max).
I'm setting up another system and after very prolonged searching I cannot come up with anything that offers the features (bass management for subs and room correction) and ease of use of the STR pre. The Studio has similar features but OMG my head would explode trying to use it and it bugs me that the company will not accept returns for any reason. I'll be using March 451 mono blocks rather than AHB2s; saves a bunch of money and I cannot imagine there will be a sq difference. Just my opinion but I doubt you'll hear any difference switching from your Anthem amp, but hey it's fun to experiment. Happy listening.

Attachments

• AHB2 bridged mono mode.pdf
    383.4 KB · Views: 149
  • AHB2 stereo mode.pdf
    382 KB · Views: 287

ZubairA

Interesting... Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have been using a single AHB2 for a while now and have run ARC but did not run into the issues you see. I have B&W 804 D3 speakers and an SVS SB2000 sub. The amp is set to use the middle sensitivity setting (have not tried lower or higher at this point). My ARC (v1.2.3) results are attached. I agree with your assessment of the Anthem STR Pre. Very happy with it.

For me, the results with the ABH2 are great thus far and I am debating getting a second one. Biggest difference for me was better bass with the AHB2 vs. the Anthem MCA. Anthem sounded leaner. Confirmation bias? Maybe...

Regards,

Zubair

I've had an interesting experience with the AHB2 amp(s) and the STR preamp. I do not know why but when using one amp in stereo mode the speaker output is low enough that the ARC program has to set all speaker levels (mains/subs) to maximum (+12). When I use two of the amps, each in bridge mode, speaker output is substantially greater and speaker levels are changed very little. I can't say I notice a sq difference but a volume output difference is very noticeable. With two amps -20 is VERY LOUD whereas it is easy to listen at -20 with one amp. The system is node2i digital out to STR pre/AHB amp(s)/Revel 106be speakers/a pair of JLA f112v2 subs.
I've attached .pdf files of the results with one amp and with two amps. Notice in particular the right speaker; ARC is more effective when two amps are used. This may all be inaudible and the reasons are above my pay grade but I find it fascinating. One AHB2 in stereo mode should be more than sufficient to drive these easy to drive speakers, esp with support from the subs. It's tempting to conclude that obviously two of the amps are much more powerful, greater output, etc but my point is that ONE amp should drive the speakers sufficiently to not require maximum level boost. I believe the program would boost them even further if it could (+12 is max).
I'm setting up another system and after very prolonged searching I cannot come up with anything that offers the features (bass management for subs and room correction) and ease of use of the STR pre. The Studio has similar features but OMG my head would explode trying to use it and it bugs me that the company will not accept returns for any reason. I'll be using March 451 mono blocks rather than AHB2s; saves a bunch of money and I cannot imagine there will be a sq difference. Just my opinion but I doubt you'll hear any difference switching from your Anthem amp, but hey it's fun to experiment. Happy listening.

Attachments

• STR ARC Genesis 1.2.3.pdf
    349.1 KB · Views: 156

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Interesting... Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have been using a single AHB2 for a while now and have run ARC but did not run into the issues you see. I have B&W 804 D3 speakers and an SVS SB2000 sub. The amp is set to use the middle sensitivity setting (have not tried lower or higher at this point). My ARC (v1.2.3) results are attached. I agree with your assessment of the Anthem STR Pre. Very happy with it.

For me, the results with the ABH2 are great thus far and I am debating getting a second one. Biggest difference for me was better bass with the AHB2 vs. the Anthem MCA. Anthem sounded leaner. Confirmation bias? Maybe...

Regards,

Zubair
Yes, your ARC results are just what I expected when I ran the program with a single AHB. The output of your speakers is just as it should be. Thanks for sharing.
I have run ARC with a single amp in the middle and in hi gain positions, same results. I have sent past results to Anthem and no real response. This recent result was sent to Benchmark and I'm hoping the results will be shared with John Saiu (spelling?). I've also run ARC using each of the two amps, both produce the same results. I think the amps are fine and it's some quirk in my system. My primary LP is 14 feet from the speakers so perhaps that is a factor, who knows. I love the little amps, you won't be able to resist getting a second one, if only for the symmetry. ;)

BdoUK

Yes, your ARC results are just what I expected when I ran the program with a single AHB. The output of your speakers is just as it should be. Thanks for sharing.
I have run ARC with a single amp in the middle and in hi gain positions, same results. I have sent past results to Anthem and no real response. This recent result was sent to Benchmark and I'm hoping the results will be shared with John Saiu (spelling?). I've also run ARC using each of the two amps, both produce the same results. I think the amps are fine and it's some quirk in my system. My primary LP is 14 feet from the speakers so perhaps that is a factor, who knows. I love the little amps, you won't be able to resist getting a second one, if only for the symmetry. ;)

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? There has been some talk over at AVSForum that Windows/Mac machines can do some weird things with mic input level when it comes to running ARC. It seems that users who have manually adjusted their mic input level via the OS before running ARC have been able to avoid the dreaded +12 issue. Once adjusted you can run Quick Measure to see if the mic is able to hear the tones at the required 75 db then go into the ARC process.

One other option people have mentioned is adjusting the Calibration Level setting upward before running ARC. Please note these recommendations are in relation to the new MRX and AVM series but could be applicable here as well. Just some thoughts.

Mike-48

It would be cool to see a rew measurement of this , before phase correction and after to see just how ' audible ' it might be.
Here are two plots (made with a Dayton OmniMic2) of my system with the STR preamp and sub crossover at 80 Hz. Top plot, correct phase adjustment. Bottom plot, sub out of phase by 180 deg. I can tell you from experience, the out-of-phase condition is subjectively quite noticeable.

(Less noticeable is the persistent null at ~120 Hz. I've been chasing that a while and not yet figured it out. I'd like to get rid of it, if I can find a way.)

2021-01-09 19_17_41-Greenshot 000.jpg

2021-01-09 19_27_08-Greenshot 180.jpg

GTDTS

Just received the STR "Stack". Currently running a 2016 Onkyo TX NR838 with a Gen 2, 3 channel Emotiva 200 watt/ch. I have never had separates before. Kind of custom building some shelving for everything...a bit of a shrine to all this stuff LOL. Will incorporate a HSU VTF 15 MKII into the two channel set up. Have a Bluesound Node i2 streamer. Hoping this sounds great and will get into it over the weekend.

Thanks for this thread. I'm one of the newer members here and enjoy many of the topics and discussions.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Thanks for this thread. I'm one of the newer members here and enjoy many of the topics and discussions.
Can't imagine any reason why your new rig shouldn't sound fantastic! Just take the time to do the DSP setup on the Anthem correctly and put the needed time into the room setup and all should be awesome. Enjoy!
Sal

Mike-48

ust received the STR "Stack".
I agree with @Sal1950 ; it should sound great.

My advice would be, when you do set up ARC, spend some time exploring the computer-based version (not smartphone or tablet) and Professional Mode, which offers many ways to tune results to your taste. Also, the computer version uses a better mic than the smartphone version and so should give better results.

GTDTS

OK guys...I used my PC to run ARC Genesis. Professional Mode. It sounds like someone put a blanket over the sound. It sounded dead and stifled and dull and too bright (that's a lot coming from me). With ARC off, it is alive and impressive with just a bit too much dynamics. Can you help a brother out?

I'm not new to auto correction. I used an old version of Audyssey or maybe ACCU EQ 5 years ago...made the room sound better with tighter imaging and less fatigue. Set up a miniDSP with Dirac. Used the latest and greatest of Audyssey on my Marantz 7013 in basement HT. All to full satisfaction for what they are.

ARC...I'm concerned... I'm actually in the process of manipulating it to my tastes to give it life with some success. I'm trying to control for the db bump when you turn ARC off...as louder can sometime make you think better when its really not.
Yes...I read the part where you need to sit with it for awhile. I can't imagine that is correct...there is zero WOW factor here.

What do I want it to sound like? I want clarity and a tiny touch bright. I like the 3D deep base growl that helps set apart the "dark" space between instruments. Room is lively. Some sound absorption on the walls. Scattered 1st reflections. Two smaller leather recliners with a small couch on the back wall; 11.5 wide, 13 length, 14' cathedral ceiling. Prestige 85F's 3 feet out from the front wall. Monster HSU Sub. Will shake the neighbors house and the school down the street. Bluesound Node i2...using Tidal and analog out. Have not tried digital yet.

Love the pre-amp in and of itself. Love the features. I want to keep it and love it. With ARC on or off...that edgy, almost digital etchy sound on the edges of some vocals and instruments is gone. The sound stage is to my liking. Its a dynamic and wider to give off the idea that stuff is bouncing all over the room and outside of the speakers' stage, but just focused enough for vocals and instrumentation. miniDSP is too focused as is my Onkyo compared to the STR. The 2" distance setting proved not to be an issue. Love the looks. Love the Amp. Just need some help to get it right...or is my mic bad? I have an UMIK-1. I'll get to posting some graphs later in the week...
Would love some advice from users on here...PLEASE!

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
OK guys...I used my PC to run ARC Genesis. Professional Mode. It sounds like someone put a blanket over the sound. It sounded dead and stifled and dull and too bright (that's a lot coming from me). With ARC off, it is alive and impressive with just a bit too much dynamics. Can you help a brother out?

I'm not new to auto correction. I used an old version of Audyssey or maybe ACCU EQ 5 years ago...made the room sound better with tighter imaging and less fatigue. Set up a miniDSP with Dirac. Used the latest and greatest of Audyssey on my Marantz 7013 in basement HT. All to full satisfaction for what they are.

ARC...I'm concerned... I'm actually in the process of manipulating it to my tastes to give it life with some success. I'm trying to control for the db bump when you turn ARC off...as louder can sometime make you think better when its really not.
Yes...I read the part where you need to sit with it for awhile. I can't imagine that is correct...there is zero WOW factor here.

What do I want it to sound like? I want clarity and a tiny touch bright. I like the 3D deep base growl that helps set apart the "dark" space between instruments. Room is lively. Some sound absorption on the walls. Scattered 1st reflections. Two smaller leather recliners with a small couch on the back wall; 11.5 wide, 13 length, 14' cathedral ceiling. Prestige 85F's 3 feet out from the front wall. Monster HSU Sub. Will shake the neighbors house and the school down the street. Bluesound Node i2...using Tidal and analog out. Have not tried digital yet.

Love the pre-amp in and of itself. Love the features. I want to keep it and love it. With ARC on or off...that edgy, almost digital etchy sound on the edges of some vocals and instruments is gone. The sound stage is to my liking. Its a dynamic and wider to give off the idea that stuff is bouncing all over the room and outside of the speakers' stage, but just focused enough for vocals and instrumentation. miniDSP is too focused as is my Onkyo compared to the STR. The 2" distance setting proved not to be an issue. Love the looks. Love the Amp. Just need some help to get it right...or is my mic bad? I have an UMIK-1. I'll get to posting some graphs later in the week...
Would love some advice from users on here...PLEASE!
No experience with ARC here, but I have read similar stories in which redoing the measurements with more distance between measuring locations helped. Since you’re experienced in using room correction this may not apply in your case, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Top Bottom