• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SP400 Review (headphone amp)

Artaois

$500 for a two 3-pin to one 4-pin joiner is just ridiculous, you can get the exact thing made for a fraction of the price. Just extortion at this point lol
It really is just taking advantage of people who don't know any better. Can't think of another headphone company that pushes overpriced cables and equipment as much as they do.

Viper Necklampy

I think my Thx aaa 887 got around 1db or higher channel imbalance, i hear this SP400 doesn't have it because it's digital right?
Also, i heard with XLR interconnect this can be used in high gain, the noise will be 1,9uV in high gain?
Looks interesting, in high gain with 20ohm cans i will go nuts. :S

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Oops, forgot to post mine. :) Added it to the review.

I wonder why people get so bent out of shape when you point out a 400 dollar amp or dac out performs a 4000 thousand dollar amp or dac?

I wonder if the introduction of hardware from the likes of topping, Geshelli, Matrix, SMSL, it hurt the market maybe?

IDK, all I know is I have heard super expensive equipment and said, OK, and?

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think my Thx aaa 887 got around 1db or higher channel imbalance, i hear this SP400 doesn't have it because it's digital right?
Also, i heard with XLR interconnect this can be used in high gain, the noise will be 1,9uV in high gain?
Looks interesting, in high gain with 20ohm cans i will go nuts. :S
zero channel imbalance. uses discrete resistor ladder stepped attenuator like the sh-9

Inkey31

Forum Donor
It's fully balanced and has resistor volume. So no 399 won't happen..

How do you think this stacks up in terms of power compared to the A90?

Need a powerful amp to drive the Susvara's.

Veri

Master Contributor
How do you think this stacks up in terms of power compared to the A90?
Need a powerful amp to drive the Susvara's.
If power is what you want I would get the A90, the Singxer SA-1 also looks great in that price class. The SP400 is mostly worth it to pair with the M400 with its high output voltage. But to drive Susvara I'd not recommend it.

Moonhead

If power is what you want I would get the A90, the Singxer SA-1 also looks great in that price class. The SP400 is mostly worth it to pair with the M400 with its high output voltage. But to drive Susvara I'd not recommend it.
Which amp has the most power, that has been measured by Amir, other than the expensive benchmark?

Moonhead

Thx a bunch, mate :)

Inkey31

Forum Donor

That AMP looks pretty good, Class A with these numbers? WOW! That rare right?

This seems to do a lot of power too, but correct me if I am wrong, it says 16Ω10W 32Ω5.5W 68Ω3.1W in the review here: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-singxer-sa-1-headphone-amppre-retail/

That is on par with the A90 right? Seems the power is about the same once you get into the 32OHM mark.

Inkey31

Forum Donor
About on par yes.

Its really cool this is a class A however, most class A's measure really poor.

You think the power rails on this are more efficient then the ones on the A90? I had heard really its about how efficient the rails can deliver the power, not how much it can produce.

Do you seen any benefit in power on one vs the other?

JB5150

That AMP looks pretty good, Class A with these numbers? WOW! That rare right?

This seems to do a lot of power too, but correct me if I am wrong, it says 16Ω10W 32Ω5.5W 68Ω3.1W in the review here: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-singxer-sa-1-headphone-amppre-retail/

That is on par with the A90 right? Seems the power is about the same once you get into the 32OHM mark.

Wattage may be similar, but gain structure on SA-1 is LOWER than A90, so volume output will be lower.
The build quality is quite good, I find the font faceplate to be VERY aesthetically pleasing.
I usually like the higher gain on my amps, but the SA-1 sounds so damn good!

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Wattage may be similar, but gain structure on SA-1 is LOWER than A90, so volume output will be lower.
The build quality is quite good, I find the font faceplate to be VERY aesthetically pleasing.
I usually like the higher gain on my amps, but the SA-1 sounds so damn good!

OK so Max volume would go to the A90 in other words? It has a higher gain setting?

So, power is the same but volume level is different?

Do you personally prefer the SA-1 over the A90? This being Class A and all does it deliver more constant power? Well its mostly class A but runs in AB at times from what I read.

cursive

Forum Donor
OK so Max volume would go to the A90 in other words? It has a higher gain setting?

So, power is the same but volume level is different?

Do you personally prefer the SA-1 over the A90? This being Class A and all does it deliver more constant power? Well its mostly class A but runs in AB at times from what I read.

Correct max volume would go to the A90, due to the higher gain structure. Power and gain are separate even though they sound like the same specification. Some have complained about the SP400 for the same reason, it has higher power, but it has a low gain structure, so isn't really louder volume wise than SH-9 or SP200 etc.

There's some good comparisons between the two in the following thread, especially in the post I linked.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eadphone-amp-preview.17510/page-4#post-630454

I think both amplifiers are amazing. Looks like the Singxer you have to change the gain somewhere on the bottom of the unit vs having a nice switch on the front, but that may be a minor inconvenience.

JB5150

Yes. A90 is MUCH louder than SA-1.

I do personally prefer the SA-1 over A90. I do have both :)
I prefer the "analytical" sound on the THX amps, and find the A90 to be slightly less "analytical".
The SA-1 has been a balance between the two (THX and A90).

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Correct max volume would go to the A90, due to the higher gain structure. Power and gain are separate even though they sound like the same specification. Some have complained about the SP400 for the same reason, it has higher power, but it has a low gain structure, so isn't really louder volume wise than SH-9 or SP200 etc.

There's some good comparisons between the two in the following thread, especially in the post I linked.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eadphone-amp-preview.17510/page-4#post-630454

I think both amplifiers are amazing. Looks like the Singxer you have to change the gain somewhere on the bottom of the unit vs having a nice switch on the front, but that may be a minor inconvenience.

I thought the new THX AMP has less power then the A90, if you look at Amir's review its show less power under 300 and 50 OHM loads.

How much louder are we talking do you guys think?

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Yes. A90 is MUCH louder than SA-1.

I do personally prefer the SA-1 over A90. I do have both :)
I prefer the "analytical" sound on the THX amps, and find the A90 to be slightly less "analytical".
The SA-1 has been a balance between the two (THX and A90).

Which amp has more power, THX SMLS, A90, the SA-1?

cursive

Forum Donor
I thought the new THX AMP has less power then the A90, if you look at Amir's review its show less power under 300 and 50 OHM loads.

How much louder are we talking do you guys think?

Sorry if I'm just muddying the waters further. Power ratings on these things are confusing because they don't all use the same metrics. On paper, the SMSL has the highest power, but their claims don't correspond to Amir's measurements which makes me think they must have fed it with a dac that outputs a lot of voltage, or they're doing some sort of calculation to get that number. They advertise 12 watts per channel at 16ohms.

In practice, the Topping A90 has the highest gain at 15.5dB and therefore in usage it is easily the loudest of the three. I have the sp400 and the a90, but I do not have the Singxer SA-1. It's hard to quantify exactly how much without measurements, but to my ear the A90 gets SIGNIFICANTLY louder than the SP400, it's not even close.

I don't own any headphones that are really hard to drive, so honestly either one gets way louder than I would ever listen.

JB5150

Which amp has more power, THX SMLS, A90, the SA-1?

WATTAGE alone does not indicate how LOUD they will be. The gain structure plays a bigger role here. More gain=More output volume.
In VOLUME OUTPUT only, the A90 is loudest, followed by SA-1, then SP400 last (lower gain than the others)

Top Bottom