• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beyerdynamic T1 Review (V2 headphone)

edahl

Have you done the DT 1990 Pros? I got them for the solid build, but wouldn't mind a non-distorting EQ touch-up.

D

Deleted member 4360

Well... I owned these once. Owned the Home Amirons too. What's interesting—and not taking the measurements into account—is that out of the box, I liked them. It was until I compared them to Elegias, HD660s, DCA AEON2 Closed, HD58x, LCD2's and I think a few others I forgot about that made me realize I didn't like them after all. Very scooped mids and yes, those highs and bass shy. I like everything (music) and the reason I have different cans but these I couldn't get behind. The Elegia's midrange just destroyed them. Any of the HD series did the same with rock, etc. I just couldn't find a place that I liked for them - when working, I listen to a lot of electronic like Jacob Groening and they couldn't hang with that when the Senns could. In other words, I get what Amir is saying and also, they don't have the feel of a 700+ phone. The Focals and Audeze have that mastered.

Where am I now? Sennheiser HD 560s and DCA Aeon2 Noire Closed. Gotta say, why get the T1's when for under $200, you could get the 560s and, in my opinion, compete and do much better (yes, plastic but who cares - do you look at yourself in the mirror when listening to music?). The Aeon 2 Noire's are brilliant (and mirror ready) and they kicked the Audeze to the curb as I just couldn't handle two cereal bowls on my head any longer...

Amp = JDS Element II
Disclosure: I pay attention to headphone measurements but not after they're on my head. Then it's simple, like or no like.
Reasoning: The product that prevents me from selling it is what I like for the moment. The 560s and Aeon2 Noire C have made the cut for now...
Audio Health Status: No items for sale on eBay, Audiogon, USA Audiomart = A+ (couldn't say that a few months ago - high audiophile sickness and hiding boxes everywhere from my wife).

Last edited by a moderator:

Phillipok

Now, if possible, add a graph of the measured THD 114 dBSPL for the Sennheiser HD 800s. Let's laugh together.
800.png

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Worth noting those graphs aren't to the same scale. However yes it would be intresting to see the hd800 fall on it's face at 114db :D.
Edit spent some time carfully looking and the hd800 is the silightly better preformance in distortion.

Phillipok

All I wanted to hear): "As I had predicted, general experience was decent with this headphone. The sound was not exciting..."

Phillipok

Edit spent some time carfully looking and the hd800 is the silightly better preformance in distortion.
Maybe link on this measurements?"
Even here T1 looks more convincing.
I'm looking at the measurments you posted above. Amir's techniques evolves over time. So careful attention needs to be paid to scales on graphs.
Are you honest now !? 6%:10kHz and 5%:10kHz?
Is the scale so crooked?

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even according to the measured parameters Sennheiser HD 800S sucks against the Beyerdynamic T1)!

wut...

The HD800's distortion is completely negligible above 100hz at 104dB. The T1 V2 already has spikes up to .5% right in the middle of the midrange.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
@Phillipok , you're not going to just come in and spam a bunch of posts like this. That's enough for a couple of days in this thread. Please don't be quite so aggressive.

respice finem

Major Contributor
(relates to this): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hone.20192/page-9#lg=attachment111773&slide=0

Probably a noob question (I've never been measuring any headphones myself) but, 94 dB SPL "below normal listening level" - really? As a daily headphone user I would be completely deaf now, if I were listening at such levels. I know the absence of "room cues" may provoke louder listening, but going near 100dB as "normal level" is hearing damage territory.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
(relates to this): https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...hone.20192/page-9#lg=attachment111773&slide=0

Probably a noob question (I've never been measuring any headphones myself) but, 94 dB SPL "below normal listening level" - really? As a daily headphone user I would be completely deaf now, if I were listening at such levels. I know the absence of "room cues" may provoke louder listening, but going near 100dB as "normal level" is hearing damage territory.

You are confusing peak SPL with average A-weighted SPL (shown in post #173)
Listening at 80dB average SPL can easily have 94dB peaks which you need to reach < 0.5% between 200Hz and 8kHz.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Er4? I wear them this way. Small 3 flanges.
First time I was wearing them I was using the large tri flanges and I couldn't insert them properly.
I have to be careful when I take them out if I don't want to leave the tip in my ear (!): I just gently move them circularly without twisting or pulling them and they just pop out.

View attachment 111669
I don't have any IEM's, I really dislike the idea of shoving something deep inside my ear. Not only the comfort issue, but I reckon it would push wax back into my ears and block them up......OE headphones for me!

escalibur

Ouch... This (unless these are JPG artifacts on the photo) looks like a seriously bad wiring/soldering job... Did you buy the headphones new? If yes, I would show it to either the dealer or the manufacturer. The possibility of a driver failing with normal cleaning is minimal, but there might be more "sins" along the wiring path / solder joints.
The photo is bad but soldering is really that bad. The wires are thin as hair. Fixing the soldering didn't fixed the problem. Yesterday when I tested them again, both earphones were dead, no sound regardless of volume level.

I'm having a conversation with the dealer at the moment. I'm the first owner and I had them for a bit over 2 years now. Warranty was only 2 years long. According to Beyerdynamics support they will not replace nor repair them without additional costs due to expired warranty. :rolleyes:

It's a real shame since I really liked them. Physical build quality is amazing, the sound is one of the best what you can get for about $500. Soon it will be a week without proper headphones and it seems that the only option would be to buy a new ones. :(

Top Bottom