• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

Zensō

Major Contributor
Indeed. If you come to this site with the intent of questioning whether technically sound components sound the same then you will be met with scornful rejection.
And if I go to SBAF or HeadFi and mention expectation bias or A/B testing I'm met with the same.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think "scornful rejection" is accurate - at least for those genuinely confused and reasonably open to learning.
I agree, this place is very helpful at aiding people who are not naturally technically minded to avoid costly diversions into fashionable and/or very questionable pseudo technical BS which is so prevalent in the hobby.
It takes aptitude and years of study to understand a lot of this stuff so few people do. There is a lot of completely false information and opinion in most, if not all, of the other forums I have read a lot of it from self styled Gurus.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And if I go to SBAF or HeadFi and mention expectation bias or A/B testing I'm met with the same.
You're right, of course, about audiophile sites.

But I do sometimes wonder if an objectivist hears no difference between components, whether that too might be explained by expectation bias? Or alternatively if the objectivist subjectively perceives difference, to which bias does he/she attribute it?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

But I do sometimes wonder if an objectivist hears no difference between components, whether that too might be explained by expectation bias? Or alternatively if the objectivist subjectively perceives difference, to which bias does he/she attribute it?

I can fail a hard ABX test on comparisons I've successfully passed before if I'm not concentrating, not really trying, or just not in the mood to make a mental effort.

So if I don't want to try to hear a difference, maybe I won't?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

I hear all kinds of differences before implementing controls. Afterwards, I sometimes do, and doing controls allows me high confidence that the differences are real.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

From an engineering perspective, whether in hifi or my work, if I found a difference I investigated what caused it, particularly the unexpected ones, since it is here you learn something new.
Everything which behaves exactly as expected and predicted gives zero opportunity to learn something new.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Absolutely. That's why I'm very poor at blind tests as my expectation bias stops me hearing things that may be audible. Unless I expect to hear a difference, I won't.

S

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
From an engineering perspective, whether in hifi or my work, if I found a difference I investigated what caused it, particularly the unexpected ones, since it is here you learn something new.
Everything which behaves exactly as expected and predicted gives zero opportunity to learn something new.

I've also surprised myself sometimes with how small of a difference I can hear.

0.5 dB difference in FR if it spans an entire octave, for instance.

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would only hear that if I expected it to be 3dB!

S

Over a wide Q its quite clear when EQing headphones in the mid band, much easier than trying to tell if the volume total is raised or lowered by this because it changes the balance.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I am increasingly thinking there should be sticky threads for asked-and-answered topics...

Anyway. What you should think harder about is the *subjectivist* who 'hears' the 'difference' sighted but not in blind tests.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
What you should think harder about is the *subjectivist* who 'hears' the 'difference' sighted but not in blind tests.

This tendency describes everyone.

Including you.

Cognitive bias and placebo effects aren't some sinful maladies that only affect 'those other people'.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor

Including you.

Cognitive bias and placebo effects aren't some sinful malady that only affects 'those other people'.
My big placebo effect is the smell of old tube gear outgassing.

One of my most profound olfactory memories came to me when the transformer and/or caps blew out in our 1955 RCA, round tube, cathode ray TV in our living room, November 22, 1963. The room was filled with smoke.

raif71

Major Contributor
Differences in hearing may be like quantum superposition, when not measured you may observe two states, different or not different but when systems are measured or in a control environment, then you will observe only either state. The reality is both states are real and exist simultaneously :)

Last edited:

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Including you.

Cognitive bias and placebo effects aren't some sinful maladies that only affect 'those other people'.

Which tendency are you referring to?

The person I was replying to is worrying about a 'tendency' among objectivists to not hear differences that might be real.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Differences in hearing may be like quantum superposition, when not measured you may observe two states, different or not different but when systems are measured or in a control environment, then you will observe only either state. The reality is both states are real and exist simultaneously :)

No.

It's nothing like that.

murraycamp

Forum Donor
Far out man.

Top Bottom