• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 708P Review (Professional Monitor)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Two thoughts:

- The fact that the JBL 308 scores quite a bit better on the preference score really shows the limitations of the preference score, IMO. Unless, of course, someone will do a blind comparison of these two speakers and show that a good number of listeners actually prefer the 308.

- That port and woofer resonance give me pause. If we accept that the preference score is not exact science - going back to the previous point - then I also think we must entertain the possibility that resonances of this type may have a larger effect on perception than sometimes assumed.
It might depend on what dB level you listen / test at, assuming that distortion is the main factor between them. As infinitesymphony said before, a lot of suitablitiy of 308p vs 708p would likely come down to desired listening levels. (which is not part of the Preference Score (distortion), so to isolate the variable of Preference Score you'd have to run both speakers at an SPL where distortion didn't come into play......or that could be one of the tests......another test could be at higher SPL where distortion could come into play to see if distortion levels outweigh any Preference Score differences).

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

dfuller

Major Contributor
- That port and woofer resonance give me pause. If we accept that the preference score is not exact science - going back to the previous point - then I also think we must entertain the possibility that resonances of this type may have a larger effect on perception than sometimes assumed.
The fact that there's such a large cancellation notch really makes me wonder about port design. It seems to me there's a fair amount of work to be done to get ports to truly behave themselves only as intended...

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It might depend on what dB level you listen / test at, assuming that distortion is the main factor between them. As infinitesymphony said before, a lot of suitablitiy of 308p vs 708p would likely come down to desired listening levels. (which is not part of the Preference Score (distortion), so to isolate the variable of Preference Score you'd have to run both speakers at an SPL where distortion didn't come into play......or that could be one of the tests......another test could be at higher SPL where distortion could come into play to see if distortion levels outweigh any Preference Score differences).

I'm not sure the differences between them is only about this. One has a compression driver, the other has not. Waveguides/horns are different. Dispersion characteristics have similarities, but are still different. I would be very surprised if trained listeners were not able to consistently pick these speakers apart in blind tests. Preference is another issue of course.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Oh boy. I'm done at 7.mumble kHz. I would have guessed 10kHz. That's kind of humbling. Age: 66. left ear is worst than right ear by about a kHz.

That youtube "test" is pretty useless. There is very audible aliasing/intermodulation products above 15kHz. I can "hear" tone content up to 18kHz on that track, but the spurious sounds probably due to the Youtube compression make it worthless.

Get a proper hearing test (not at a hearing aid seller...) before beating yourself up.

dcolak

KH80 is not remotely in the same planet as this speaker. It blows its brains out at a fraction of power.

What about Neumann KH-310 vs JBL 708P?

My house is full of JBL's (Array 1400, LSR 2328p, 2325p etc.).

That Neumann got my attention.

Reactions: Pio

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that there's such a large cancellation notch really makes me wonder about port design. It seems to me there's a fair amount of work to be done to get ports to truly behave themselves only as intended...

I think the lesson here is that ports in two ways are a bit of a compromise, but this comes as no surprise. A portable full range speaker is worth the minor issues with the port.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What about Neumann KH-310 vs JBL 708P?
Much better race. They both tonally sound wonderful. But I think I will give the nod to JBL for dynamics and power handling.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I think the lesson here is that ports in two ways are a bit of a compromise, but this comes as no surprise. A portable full range speaker is worth the minor issues with the port.
Fixed that for you, but otherwise I fully agree.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What about the M2?
That's quite another price range, isn't it? However if you go for a bigger 3-way like the KH420 or the old K&H O500C, or one of the big Genelecs I wouldn't bet on the M2.

PaulD

That's quite another price range, isn't it? However if you go for a bigger 3-way like the KH420 or the old K&H O500C, or one of the big Genelecs I wouldn't bet on the M2.
I had the big Genelecs and the M2s in the same room (studio), and I even had the budget for the Genelecs (more expensive), but I bought the M2s... 2 pairs in fact!

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the big Genelecs and the M2s in the same room (studio), and I even had the budget for the Genelecs (more expensive), but I bought the M2s... 2 pairs in fact!
A Genelec with same woofer area as the M2?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe, but the M2 should have an output edge over all but the biggest Genelecs, and the measurements look at least equal to the KH20(though I couldn't find full measurements), if not a little better. It is much more expensive, though, so not exactly comparable :D. I was more just saying "gotcha" about "3 > 2 way". Wasn't too serious.

Linus

Amazing how much cheaper the Genelecs are over there and for that price, I'd choose the 8350A all day long.

8350A are 2200$ CAD, so around 1700$ USD. Maybe worth shipping + duty !?

PaulD

A Genelec with same woofer area as the M2?
It was the 1234A SAM, with 2 x 12". I have no idea if it is the same woofer area as the 15"-16" M2 bass driver. I did like the shape more for soffit mounting.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a two-way speaker, this is impressive performance, on par (to my eyes) with similarly priced Neumann 3-way monitors, and the JBL have digital in- and throughput. No analog subwoofer out, but not really a problem for not too large listening rooms, probably. I'll put it on my list of "must hear" speakers. Then again, in my poor listening room it would probably be "pearls before swine"...
308p are interesting too, and would be easier to integrate into my listening (and living) room, but have only analog in (maybe not that important) and might have too much hiss, though, at their low price, they might be worth trying out. Compared to 20 years ago, we are quite spoiled for choice.

I still take the 310 over this though.

Top Bottom