• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Tim M

Update: Got an email from the retailer. I'm to photograph my serial, ship my unit back to them (at their cost) and wait for an air drop from Topping. Sounds good to me.

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What will the serial number start with for the second fix? Is the consensus it won't be until Feb? SHNZENAUDIO is saying they will send me a new unit now.

hottyson

Has someone made an A / B comparison to the smsl sp-200?
The Topping L30 out did the SMSL SP-200 in the sound quality department. However, the Topping L30 sometimes creates a popping and buzzing that burns out drivers in my headphone. Due to this, I would ALWAYS pick the SMSL SP-200 over Topping.

Canuck57

Forum Donor
The Topping L30 out did the SMSL SP-200 in the sound quality department. However, the Topping L30 sometimes creates a popping and buzzing that burns out drivers in my headphone. Due to this, I would ALWAYS pick the SMSL SP-200 over Topping.

minor issue ;)

Heyyoudvd

Are most people getting 2012****** replacements or are they waiting for the February update?

The vendor I bought from told me they’re shipping me a new unit, so I’m guessing that means it’s one of the current ones that fixes the DC issue but not the ESD issue.

I’m not sure whether to go with that or if I should ask to wait for the next version.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
As far as I know all stock Topping has is fitted with the ESD modification which is simple and does not require a new PCB.

Anyway... even if the first 2012 batch did not have ESD countermeasures the headphones connected to it still are safe.

ngs428

Are most people getting 2012****** replacements or are they waiting for the February update?

The vendor I bought from told me they’re shipping me a new unit, so I’m guessing that means it’s one of the current ones that fixes the DC issue but not the ESD issue.

I’m not sure whether to go with that or if I should ask to wait for the next version.

The majority of responses I have seen are people waiting for the unit with the ESD fix. If your vendor is stating they are shipping you a new unit now, it will not have the ESD fix. Your choice on what to do, can you wait another month (estimate) to get both fixes? I don't like waiting, but I don't want the unit to blow due to ESD. if you don't have an ESD issue in your area you may be able to gamble with the 2012 units. Your call.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I got both the Topping E & L 30 in September of last year. I live in a place with pretty high humidity, very low chance of ESD events. And, so far, this combo along with the Drop 6XX headphones is my best headphone experience, including the better part of twenty years of using Stax Earspeakers with a corresponding energized/OTL tube amp. So I'm going to wait a bit, during this long rainy season, for everything to iron out. Obviously, the technical problems with the Topping L30 are worrisome, but in my current circumstances very unlikely to cause my headphones or ears any harm. If I can't get a free replacement or refund I'll probably still get a replacement for the L30. SOTA performance for this kind of money is its own reward, even at twice the price.

thomz6

Someone has bought in Aoshida-HIFI Audio Store on aliexpress ?
He said that he will send me a 2012+ version for free but i asked when and he said :
"
hi dear after we test it,we will arrange shipping asap don't worry
"
... :(

btw i have tried to increase the humidity rate with a water glass and a plant near to the amp, i dont know if it is usefull ahah my L30 is on a wood desk
my apartment has a very bad thermal isolation, i think there is humidity anyway

Hernanaqp25

I got both the Topping E & L 30 in September of last year. I live in a place with pretty high humidity, very low chance of ESD events. And, so far, this combo along with the Drop 6XX headphones is my best headphone experience, including the better part of twenty years of using Stax Earspeakers with a corresponding energized/OTL tube amp. So I'm going to wait a bit, during this long rainy season, for everything to iron out. Obviously, the technical problems with the Topping L30 are worrisome, but in my current circumstances very unlikely to cause my headphones or ears any harm. If I can't get a free replacement or refund I'll probably still get a replacement for the L30. SOTA performance for this kind of money is its own reward, even at twice the price.
Hello, excuse the question, I recently bought my hd6xx to start in this world of hifi, I was looking to buy the little dot mk2 amplifier + the upgrade of the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV valves because they recommend them a lot and I do not know whether to go for that amplifier , or buy the Topping L30, in my city Arequipa, Peru I will hardly have electrical problems due to lightning, also I will use them on my computer with a dedicated stabilizer for my audio equipment, currently my first dac the Topping E30 is arriving and I bought it for the Amir reviews, and I was thinking of buying the L30, but they highly recommend the tube sound, and as I'm new I don't know if the tube sound has a better enjoyment.
Now I was also thinking of using the Topping E30 as a dac, the Little dot as a pre amp, and the Topping L30 as a main amp, haha I don't know if the combo is very crazy but I am undecided, if you could help me I would appreciate it.

Sorry if my question / question is not related to the main topic.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Hello, excuse the question, I recently bought my hd6xx to start in this world of hifi, I was looking to buy the little dot mk2 amplifier + the upgrade of the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV valves because they recommend them a lot and I do not know whether to go for that amplifier , or buy the Topping L30, in my city Arequipa, Peru I will hardly have electrical problems due to lightning, also I will use them on my computer with a dedicated stabilizer for my audio equipment, currently my first dac the Topping E30 is arriving and I bought it for the Amir reviews, and I was thinking of buying the L30, but they highly recommend the tube sound, and as I'm new I don't know if the tube sound has a better enjoyment.
Now I was also thinking of using the Topping E30 as a dac, the Little dot as a pre amp, and the Topping L30 as a main amp, haha I don't know if the combo is very crazy but I am undecided, if you could help me I would appreciate it.

Sorry if my question / question is not related to the main topic.
What gets lost in this ongoing discussion of amps 'n' headphones blowing up is how amazingly good the Topping L30 sounds. Doesn't sound is more like it. I haven't heard anything [so far] that gets out of the way of the music the way my Topping E30/L30 and Drop 6XX combo does. If I were you, I'd wait a couple of months to let the smoke to clear. The L30 is cheap enough, why not get the tube amp first, the L30 later? Or you can just wait. But don't get a L30 right now, sounds like a few kinks are still being ironed out.

Hernanaqp25

What gets lost in this ongoing discussion of amps 'n' headphones blowing up is how amazingly good the Topping L30 sounds. Doesn't sound is more like it. I haven't heard anything [so far] that gets out of the way of the music the way my Topping E30/L30 and Drop 6XX combo does. If I were you, I'd wait a couple of months to let the smoke to clear. The L30 is cheap enough, why not get the tube amp first, the L30 later? Or you can just wait. But don't get a L30 right now, sounds like a few kinks are still being ironed out.
That was my plan "B", first go for the tube amp and then when they release the improved version of the L30 in a few months, I get one and compare :) or why not the A50s :)) (with balanced cables of 6xx)

raif71

Major Contributor
As far as I know all stock Topping has is fitted with the ESD modification which is simple and does not require a new PCB.

Anyway... even if the first 2012 batch did not have ESD countermeasures the headphones connected to it still are safe.
Meaning waiting for the 2102 for the "allfix" is a misunderstanding and miscommunication ?

nxnje

@JohnYang1997
What can you say about this?
I'm translating for you, it's italian.

Shenzen Audio Store is saying me, after I have asked if we could wait for ESD fix before shipping another sample:
"Ciao, ho chiamato la fabbrica e ha detto che tutto il problema è stato risolto. Grazie."
In english: "Hi, I have contacted the factory and they have said all problems were solved. Thanks".

What should I say/do?
They state problems are solved as they have contacted you, but I didn't see anyone here saying ESD problem has been fixed.
(the part I have colored in black is the order number, not relevant).

order shenzen store.jpg

Canuck57

Forum Donor
"A few kinks" is a gross understatement

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997
What can you say about this?
I'm translating for you, it's italian.

Shenzen Audio Store is saying me, after I have asked if we could wait for ESD fix before shipping another sample:
"Ciao, ho chiamato la fabbrica e ha detto che tutto il problema è stato risolto. Grazie."
In english: "Hi, I have contacted the factory and they have said all problems were solved. Thanks".

What should I say/do?
They state problems are solved as they have contacted you, but I didn't see anyone here saying ESD problem has been fixed.
(the part I have colored in black is the order number, not relevant).

View attachment 107667
You'll get a fixed one.

Top Bottom