• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp SHD Review Updated (DSP, DAC & Streamer)

CoolHandDuke

To me the most important thing is to not overly bottleneck the system with one component and in general I feel like obsessing over SINAD of amplifiers and DACs is not worth the effort considering the larger linear and non-linear distortion levels in speakers.

I would stick with balanced outputs which will be better from a noise perspective. It is also likely that the unbalanced outputs do not have as good SINAD as balanced.

Again it is all about tradeoffs. Do you want the ability to compensate for lower level recordings? Then you want the DAC output voltage to be above the input sensitivity of the amplifier. Do you want to preserve SINAD with a lower input sensitivity amplifier? Then get a XLR attenuator like this.

Michael
Thank you for the info. Selling a couple things and setting aside some dough so I can buy the SHD and a decent power amp soon. I'm excited.

Sonnie

I believe the SINAD on the unbalanced is only 1dB lower, and you'd get close to full output without clipping on the Monolith amp.

win

I assumed that if you don't put in EQ boosts with Dirac's frequency response curve, then you wouldn't need to worry about digital clipping. In general, most people don't recommend using EQ boosts because then you have to worry about stuff like headroom. Why boost bass +5db when you can reduce treble the same amount and never have to worry about headroom.

I don't see the FIR time-domain filters as causing any issue even at 0db.

??

samysound

I assumed that if you don't put in EQ boosts with Dirac's frequency response curve, then you wouldn't need to worry about digital clipping. In general, most people don't recommend using EQ boosts because then you have to worry about stuff like headroom. Why boost bass +5db when you can reduce treble the same amount and never have to worry about headroom.

I don't see the FIR time-domain filters as causing any issue even at 0db.

??
assuming you are matching a target volume level, dont you end up at the same headroom whether you boost the bass or reduce the treble?

win

assuming you are matching a target volume level, dont you end up at the same headroom whether you boost the bass or reduce the treble?

I may have used the term incorrectly, in which case my apologies.

They should be the same output before you reach clipping, but reducing the EQ lets you put the volume at 0 db whereas boosting the EQ requires you keep the volume below whichever max boost you have applied. I'd personally rather just be able to keep it at 0db and not worry about it.

I am not 100% sure on this, which is why I put question marks at the end of my previous post :)

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am setting up an Single Blind Test (SBT) to compare my ATI AT525 (in two channel mode) and the AHB2. I have a break-than-make switch but was planning to use two Oppo UDP-205s to level match the two.

It would be a lot easier to use the SHD as a single source.
Can the matrix be used to route the left to out1 and out2 and right to out2 and out3 and adjust the levels to match?

- Rich

Sonnie

I am setting up an Single Blind Test (SBT) to compare my ATI AT525 (in two channel mode) and the AHB2. I have a break-than-make switch but was planning to use two Oppo UDP-205s to level match the two.

It would be a lot easier to use the SHD as a single source.
Can the matrix be used to route the left to out1 and out2 and right to out2 and out3 and adjust the levels to match?

- Rich
You can route the channels to whatever outputs you want for two different presets... then switch presets.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can route the channels to whatever outputs you want for two different presets... then switch presets.
Perfect, when the SHD arrives I'll use it for the SBT.

I will try Dirac again but did not get good results with the XMC-1 so used bass management a bit of PEQ only.

- Rich

Sonnie

You can adjust the output by clicking on the channel. Of course you'd want to use Dirac 1 with Output1 (left speaker), Dirac 2 with Output2 (right speaker)... turn off the other 6 channels. Then for preset 2, Dirac 1 with Output3 and Dirac 2 with Output4.

1610484120007.png

How are you going to switch the speakers? Or is this not meant to be instantaneous?

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can adjust the output by clicking on the channel. Of course you'd want to use Dirac 1 with Output1 (left speaker), Dirac 2 with Output2 (right speaker)... turn off the other 6 channels. Then for preset 2, Dirac 1 with Output3 and Dirac 2 with Output4.

View attachment 105658
How are you going to switch the speakers? Or is this not meant to be instantaneous?

I am using this A/B switch:
Amazon.com: Nobsound Stereo 2(1)-IN-1(2)-OUT Amplifier/Speaker Banana Female Audio Splitter/Switcher Passive Selector: Electronics

- Rich

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay... so you'll switch preset and flip the switch. What would be nice is if you had my Van Alstine ABX box.

I planed to duplicate the a single input with adjusted gains to match. All 4 outputs in use and then use the A/B to quick switch between amps while streaming from Roon.

- Rich

Sonnie

I planed to duplicate the a single input with adjusted gains to match. All 4 outputs in use and then use the A/B to quick switch between amps while streaming from Roon.

- Rich
Looking forward to your impressions... as I have the AHB2 units in a mono pair. Of course I feel confident I wouldn't be able to hear a difference, but my goal to not let anything hinder anything I should be hearing... even if I might not be able to pinpoint it.

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So you are saying the USB port on the SHD does not shut off when the unit is off?
Unless you physically switch off the shd using the switch on the back, I believe the usb host connection stays powered on. This is probably because the usb host connection is used by the wifi dongle, which needs to stay on even on soft off. The reason i know this is that the wifi dongle stays lit up even after I power off the unit from the remote.
But it would be great if someone else can double check this

Sonnie

Unless you physically switch off the shd using the switch on the back, I believe the usb host connection stays powered on. This is probably because the usb host connection is used by the wifi dongle, which needs to stay on even on soft off. The reason i know this is that the wifi dongle stays lit up even after I power off the unit from the remote.
But it would be great if someone else can double check this
I don't use the WiFi, but I did plug it up at first and it does stay lit up, so my guess is that means it has power.

I have decided to get a power sensing strip with controlled outlets and use a couple of 12-volt power supplies to power on my amps, and power on my ARX RS-1 (for the SHD XLR cables) when the SHD is powered on. Seems to be the simplest method unless miniDSP can give us the option to turn the USB host off when it is soft-powered off.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Minidsp SHD/Studio/PWR seems to be a very popular device (for good reason). At some point would it make sense to start a Minidsp SHD/Studio/PWR owners thread? I never know how much one should post in the reviews... but there isn't any other place to put more info like this.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't use the WiFi, but I did plug it up at first and it does stay lit up, so my guess is that means it has power.

I have decided to get a power sensing strip with controlled outlets and use a couple of 12-volt power supplies to power on my amps, and power on my ARX RS-1 (for the SHD XLR cables) when the SHD is powered on. Seems to be the simplest method unless miniDSP can give us the option to turn the USB host off when it is soft-powered off.

The ARX is expensive but once you wire it, it just works.

I submitted a ticket asking if the USB port could be set to power off during standby to be used as an amplifier trigger.

- Rich

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The ARX is expensive but once you wire it, it just works.

I submitted a ticket asking if the USB port could be set to power off during standby to be used as an amplifier trigger.

- Rich
That is a good idea and thanks for sending in that suggestion. It seems like such an obvious, inexpensive oversight to not have a 12v trigger out. My SHD is near the same location as my HT system. I am using the 12v trigger out on my Denon x8500 to turn off my amps that I use with the SHD. I just turn on zone 2 on the receiver via a Universal remote and it turns the amps on/off.

Top Bottom