• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Kemp

I have ordered stereo on 24th Dec. Had a auto reply with order number. I’m sure after holidays, they will update with progress. I know, Its going to be a long wait..

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have ordered stereo on 24th Dec. Had a auto reply with order number. I’m sure after holidays, they will update with progress. I know, Its going to be a long wait..
Put my order in one January 7th. Would hate to think I threw $1400 down a rathole. I'm sure everything is Ok. I hope.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heard back from Pavel personally, so all is well and order is on track. So everyone can breath easier. This is quite apparently a going concern, and I have high confidence they will be fulfilling my order.

Feyire

Heard back from Pavel personally, so all is well and order is on track. So everyone can breath easier. This is quite apparently a going concern, and I have high confidence they will be fulfilling my order.
Pavel should visit the forum more often, since there are quite a few buyers, including myself, resident here.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Order #222 for a Dac8 Pro placed on 10/1/20. Yes, it'd be nice to get occasional updates.

luisma

Forum Donor
@Snoozer, Hi, may I ask, are you using HQPe with the matrix copying and replicating channels 1 and 2 to 3,4,5,6 using HQPe as a digital crossover? I am intending on getting a multi channel dac for this effect and the okto seems the logical choice

Kees Huizinga

Last week I bought a license for Audiolense. I managed to get a good measurement of my 3-way speakers and generated a config. file. So far nothing wrong, but now I am unable to make the dacpro8 play more than channel 1 and 2. JRiver is my audio player. Bernt, the creator of Audiolense could not help me with this, so I try it here. Hopefully someone here can help me with the correct settings in JRiver and Windows.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Last week I bought a license for Audiolense. I managed to get a good measurement of my 3-way speakers and generated a config. file. So far nothing wrong, but now I am unable to make the dacpro8 play more than channel 1 and 2. JRiver is my audio player. Bernt, the creator of Audiolense could not help me with this, so I try it here. Hopefully someone here can help me with the correct settings in JRiver and Windows.
With 3way speakers, can I assume you have only 2 and, therefore, want 6 outputs? Can I assume that you are using only stereo sources to your 2 3way speakers?

If so.......................
1. You need to set your output format to 6 channels (or 5.1).
2. You need to copy the L input to 2 additional channels and the R input to 2 additional channels.
5. At this point, you probably can insert the suitable convolutions into the appropriate channels.

If not, what is your goal?

Kees Huizinga

Thank you for your response, Kal.
I get it up to point 1.
From point 2 on, I don't see how to do that. Maybe you can clarify this for me?
As far as I understand it now; the crossovers, channel routing, gain, correction, etc. are present in the Audiolense config. file. When I play music, I see the convolver is working and converting the signal to 6 channels. (see screenshot)
Only the bass and woofer (channels 1 and 2 of Okto8pro) of the left speaker work as they should, otherwise all speakers are silent, except for the noise of course.
I am using the driver from DIYINHK, but ASIO4ALL, wasapi etc don't work either.
So if you can explain how to do this:
2. You need to copy the L input to 2 additional channels and the R input to 2 additional channels.
5. At this point, you probably can insert the suitable convolutions into the appropriate channels.
I am very grateful to you.

Attachments

• 2021-01-12 (2).png
    2021-01-12 (2).png
    484.7 KB · Views: 107
  • 2021-01-12.png
    2021-01-12.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 116

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I get it up to point 1.
As far as I understand it now; the crossovers, channel routing, gain, correction, etc. are present in the Audiolense config. file. When I play music, I see the convolver is working and converting the signal to 6 channels. (see screenshot)
Only the bass and woofer (channels 1 and 2 of Okto8pro) of the left speaker work as they should, otherwise all speakers are silent, except for the noise of course.
So if you can explain how to do this:
I am very grateful to you.
You are getting only L/R because outputting 5.1 simply puts stereo into a 5.1 package but doesn't put anything into the other channels. You have to supply them with signal. To do so, you go to DSP Studio and select Parametric Equalizer. Then you can copy the L signal to two other channels (LTweeter and LWoofer, for example) and copy the R signal to two other channels (RTweeter and RWoofer, for example). Then you will have 6 real channels and can apply the suitable convolutions to each of them.

The picture below shows the page although I am doing other stuff with it.
JR channel management.JPG

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get it up to point 1.
As far as I understand it now; the crossovers, channel routing, gain, correction, etc. are present in the Audiolense config.

I don't have my Okto yet but have created a 3 way XO in JRiver in the recent past using just the Parametric EQ and 8 channels with a Motu Ultralite AVB. Perhaps JRiver needs to be made aware with these rules that the extra channels exist? At any rate I have found that mapping the channels on a multichannel soundcard (Asus, Motu) is the difficult part but once you've figured it out you are all set. Your OS will map things to 5.1, 6.1, quad, etc and assign channels in different ways. Hook up a powered speaker and move it from the output of one channel to the next while playing a tone from JRiver in your left woofer, label that output on your hardware and move on to the next driver.

Also make sure you've set up your correct number of channels with "no upmixing or downmixing" in the Output Format tab.

Here's a pic from JRiver for mapping:

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 12.36.22 PM.png

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hello Kees,

Only if you would like try ASIO4ALL again, my recent summary posts #297 and #301 on my thread could be hopefully some reference for you. Please just ignore this post in case if you do not like to try ASIO4ALL again.

Kees Huizinga

Hi Kal and DWpress, thanks for thinking along. I cannot find out how you arrived at those settings. Where or how do you change names? Order channels or Mix channels?

Kees Huizinga

It's a little late in here, but I think I understand now. First sleep, because tomorrow I have to work. Thank you very much in advance.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Media Center -> Player (menu bar) -> DSP Studio

Kees Huizinga

After work I had some time to set up jriver, as you advised last night. I was probably a lot brighter, because it was a piece of cake. I now have sound from all 6 drivers. Tomorrow I want to use a loopback measurement to see if all corrections and filters are in the right place.
To be continued.....

Top Bottom