• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Okto DAC8 8Ch DAC & Amp

Kees Huizinga

Hello Kees,

Only if you would like try ASIO4ALL again, my recent summary posts #297 and #301 on my thread could be hopefully some reference for you. Please just ignore this post in case if you do not like to try ASIO4ALL again.
Hi Dualazmak, Thanks, but Asio4All didn't work for me. I can't wait to get Audiolense playing. I'll let you know if it is an improvement (or not).

Kees Huizinga

This afternoon I connected the outputs of the Dac8pro one by one to the input of my Scarlett 2i2. Everything was in place. On channel 0 the left bass, channel 1 the left mid, etc. The filter slopes and corrections were clearly visible.
In the attic I have 2-way speakers where I also have a cofig. file for practice. It did sound a bit strange. With a test CD I found out that the right high channel is reproduced through, both the left and the right tweeter. Left high is correct. With the midbass it is the other way around. Left comes from both speakers. Right only from the right midbass. On the 3-way speakers it becomes completely a mess.
There is still something wrong with the routing. Upmixing and downmixing is unchecked. The solution won't be complicated, I guess, but I can't figure it out.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without pictures or a cfg file I'm afraid there's little we can help with. As I mentioned, figuring out the routing for a device has been difficult for me in the past but once figured out you're all set. I've never done it in combination with convolver style cfg format to add the additional complexity either but I'm sure it can be sorted.

Kees Huizinga

I hope these files are useful.

Attachments

• 3-way5.1_96. klad.txt
    777 bytes · Views: 129
  • 2021-01-16~2.png
    2021-01-16~2.png
    73.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 3-way5.1_96. klad.txt
    777 bytes · Views: 92
Reactions: Tks

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like all your filters from Audiolense are 96kHz and in your .cfg all drivers are using the exact same .wav file which isn't correct if you created a 3way XO. Also, make sure your you change your sample rates to 96kHz in "Output Format" if you plan to use those filters.

Attached is a sample Convolver file I found online which might help. I'm doing the same thing but with Rephase and trying to do it for Roon, confusing stuff to be sure.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 2.57.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 2.57.51 PM.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 107

Kees Huizinga

I still suspect it is a routing problem. The x-overs and corrections are okay, as I have seen in the measurement. The problem is that some signals are output in both the left and right channels.
I have sent the file (and wav file) to Bernt from Audiolense so he can look at it.

Kees Huizinga

Out of frustration I reinstalled JRiver and the drivers for the dacpro8 this morning. To my surprise, everything worked as it should.
No other routing in JRiver, just 6.1 in
DSP studio. I am very relieved now.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Good luck with your Okto8pro DWpress, it is a good purchase.

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have to second @Neddy's post....Pavel has always responded to my emails within a few days and quickly sorted any issues. Yes, I waited 4 months for my DAC8 Pro (ordered Sept 2019 - delivered Jan 2020) and recently had an issue with a temperature sensor reading high. The DAC was fine, it was just the sensor giving a false reading. Pavel had it picked up and turned it around within a week ensuring that it was returned to me before the UK left the EU. Having to explain to UK customs that it was a warranty repair and not a newly purchased item was not something that I wanted to deal with. So, apologies to those of you waiting for your order, I may have delayed it a little, but kudos to Pavel for his responsiveness and standing by his product.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone who makes stuff that people are often anxiously waiting for I tend to not bother others in the same predicament, it's just frustrating when you're working full tilt anyway. But I just sent off an email to Pavel as I've read others with an order number around mine (or later :confused:, #222 here) have recently received their order and, since I'm in the USA, wanted to be sure there wasn't any kind of customs problem. Haven't bothered him since October, hoping soon but willing to wait.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone who makes stuff that people are often anxiously waiting for I tend to not bother others in the same predicament, it's just frustrating when you're working full tilt anyway. But I just sent off an email to Pavel as I've read others with an order number around mine (or later :confused:, #222 here) have recently received their order and, since I'm in the USA, wanted to be sure there wasn't any kind of customs problem. Haven't bothered him since October, hoping soon but willing to wait.
My order no is 291, so I have quite a ways to wait.

Ozymandias

I have to second @Neddy's post....Pavel has always responded to my emails within a few days and quickly sorted any issues. Yes, I waited 4 months for my DAC8 Pro (ordered Sept 2019 - delivered Jan 2020) and recently had an issue with a temperature sensor reading high. The DAC was fine, it was just the sensor giving a false reading. Pavel had it picked up and turned it around within a week ensuring that it was returned to me before the UK left the EU. Having to explain to UK customs that it was a warranty repair and not a newly purchased item was not something that I wanted to deal with. So, apologies to those of you waiting for your order, I may have delayed it a little, but kudos to Pavel for his responsiveness and standing by his product.
I have had a similar experience with Pavel. Like others I had to wait 3-4 months to receive my unit. However, whenever I've reached out to him with questions he's responded quickly to my emails. I recently encountered an issue and he sent me the latest firmware and the make shift installer for the firmware which I was able to apply and it resolved my issue.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good news! I heard back from Pavel and mine will ship the end of next week.

He also mentioned that the last batch of front faceplates they received had the anodizing messed up so that has set them back a bit in production waiting for the proper replacements.

Feyire

Good news! I heard back from Pavel and mine will ship the end of next week.

He also mentioned that the last batch of front faceplates they received had the anodizing messed up so that has set them back a bit in production waiting for the proper replacements.
I can relate to this. It is frustrating when the external suppliers have poor quality control. Hopefully its a rare mistake on their end or you have to find another supplier that meets your standards.

Good to hear that Pavel is not compromising.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I was supposed to start a major project last May but was waiting on suppliers. Just received everything I need to proceed last week. :rolleyes:

Anyone interested in a MiniDSP4x10 with a Waveflex board it'll be available soon!

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Especially considering the DAC8Pro has the use of Jriver in mind, I'm puzzled they that haven't included analogue inputs on the device. The lack of inputs, means it's not possible to measure the result in an easy way. It's the same with Exasound and it makes no sense.

josh358

Especially considering the DAC8Pro has the use of Jriver in mind, I'm puzzled they that haven't included analogue inputs on the device. The lack of inputs, means it's not possible to measure the result in an easy way. It's the same with Exasound and it makes no sense.
Expensive, I think, if the inputs were of comparable quality to the outputs. It would be nice, though, to have two for measurements, particularly if they had phantom power -- that would avoid the clock timing issues when measuring room response with a USB mic by facilitating the use of an analog one.

I guess the bottom line is that if you want analog inputs, you can bankrupt yourself and buy a pro rack like the Aurora. Alternatively, you can buy a 2 channel audio interface and slave it to the OKTO's AES/EBU output.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

It's a digital streaming device that likely uses the DAC chip for volume control.
The MiniDSP has analog input but digitizes them, Anthem STR products do this as well.

It's a completely different implementation to support analog input with analog volume control.

- Rich

Top Bottom